RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2006, 03:15 AM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Make: WORKHORSE
Model: W20/W22/W24
Year: 2004
Manufacturer: WORKHORSE CUSTOM CHASSIS
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 06V225000
Recall Date: JUN 13, 2006
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 30335

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
WORKHORSE / FE20 2005-2006
WORKHORSE / P32 2004-2006
WORKHORSE / W18 2005-2006
WORKHORSE / W20 2004-2006
WORKHORSE / W22 2004-2006
WORKHORSE / W24 2004-2006
WORKHORSE / W52 2004-2006

Type: RECREATIONAL VEHICLE
Recall Number: 06V225000

Summary:
ON CERTAIN MOTOR HOME AND TRUCK CHASSIS EQUIPPED WITH GENERAL MOTORS 8.1L V8 ENGINES, IMPROPER HARDENING DURING THE HEAT TREATMENT PROCESS CAN CAUSE THE FUEL RAIL PULSE DAMPER RETAINER CLIP TO FRACTURE, RESULTING IN INADEQUATE RETENTION OF THE DAMPER. IF THE DAMPER BECOMES LOOSE, FUEL COULD BE PUMPED BY THE FUEL PUMP INTO THE UNDER HOOD AREA.

Consequence:
IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, A FIRE COULD RESULT.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL RAIL PULSE DAMPER RETAINER CLIPS ON THESE ENGINES FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING SEPTEMBER 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT WORKHORSE AT 877-294-6773.

Notes:
WORKHORSE RECALL NO. 60601C. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2006, 03:15 AM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Make: WORKHORSE
Model: W20/W22/W24
Year: 2004
Manufacturer: WORKHORSE CUSTOM CHASSIS
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 06V225000
Recall Date: JUN 13, 2006
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 30335

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
WORKHORSE / FE20 2005-2006
WORKHORSE / P32 2004-2006
WORKHORSE / W18 2005-2006
WORKHORSE / W20 2004-2006
WORKHORSE / W22 2004-2006
WORKHORSE / W24 2004-2006
WORKHORSE / W52 2004-2006

Type: RECREATIONAL VEHICLE
Recall Number: 06V225000

Summary:
ON CERTAIN MOTOR HOME AND TRUCK CHASSIS EQUIPPED WITH GENERAL MOTORS 8.1L V8 ENGINES, IMPROPER HARDENING DURING THE HEAT TREATMENT PROCESS CAN CAUSE THE FUEL RAIL PULSE DAMPER RETAINER CLIP TO FRACTURE, RESULTING IN INADEQUATE RETENTION OF THE DAMPER. IF THE DAMPER BECOMES LOOSE, FUEL COULD BE PUMPED BY THE FUEL PUMP INTO THE UNDER HOOD AREA.

Consequence:
IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, A FIRE COULD RESULT.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL RAIL PULSE DAMPER RETAINER CLIPS ON THESE ENGINES FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING SEPTEMBER 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT WORKHORSE AT 877-294-6773.

Notes:
WORKHORSE RECALL NO. 60601C. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:54 PM   #3

My WH is in the shop for other fixes. I called and they will add this recall to the list. I am sure I would have been notified by Workhorse, but probably after I had brought it home. Thanks for this timely "heads up"!
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:23 AM   #4

I am pleased that WH has issued this recall having had this clip fail on my unit. I would strongly suggest anyone that may be impacted to make haste in having this part replaced.

I was very fortunate that the fuel leak that occurred on my unit when this clip failed occurred while my unit was in a local shop (Larry's in Myrtle Beach) for other reasons. Larry had just started it and was moving it out of the garage when the fuel leak occured. He tells me it was quite a "gusher". He had his staff running after him to warn him as fuel was pouring onto the ground as he drove it on a test run. Since the engine and exhaust were not up to full operating temperature I was spared a fire and only had to deal with fuel that make it through the gasket on the dog house and soaked the carpet in the driver's area.

If this had occured three days earlier I would have been driving with my family on I95 coming home from Disney World. I am sure the results would have been different at highway speed with a hot engine.

I still think about at it on every trip we take.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:06 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
I just registered out new coach on the Workhorse web site and it immeidately came up with this recall notice for it.

Should I have the dealer (who is currently working on a fuel pump problem on our generator) take car of it or have a Workhorse dealer (Chevy dealer about 10 mile away) do the repairs?

We are taking a trip to Ashville, NC in three weeks and I want this one done before we go.
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sean & Eddie:
Should I have the dealer (who is currently working on a fuel pump problem on our generator) take car of it or have a Workhorse dealer (Chevy dealer about 10 mile away) do the repairs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You should have the recall completed by an Authorized Workhorse Service Center. Call the center first and make sure that they can get a clip for you.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:07 AM   #7

My understanding is that Workhorse is planning on sending the clips along with the recall letter to the affected owners.

The Workhorse Service Centers might not have the clips due to the mass mailing.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:04 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can someone explain exactly where this "damper/clip" is located?

Also is anything I can do as a temporary fix ASAP as I am going on a trip this Friday and will not be near a Workhorse service center??
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can someone explain exactly where this "damper/clip" is located? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
FLYTYER: HERE Is a link to the posts down below where there are pictures. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:30 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also is anything I can do as a temporary fix ASAP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Unless your eyesight INSPECTION shows your clip to already be BROKEN, I would suggest you NOT mess with it. A homemade "fix" for something NOT broken....well you've heard the quote before. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #11

Had set-up the appointment and am going to Waterbury, Ct tomorrow for replacement. Thx.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:22 AM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The campaign letters are out and owners are beginning to receive clips. If yours isn't there soon will need to make sure that you are listed as the owner of record.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
The campaign letters are out and owners are beginning to receive clips. If yours isn't there soon will need to make sure that you are listed as the owner of record. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Is this something that an owner can do himself? I am a retired air conditioning mechanic, and have tools and knowledge
RJRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:47 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just called WH and they told me that all owners should have the letter and clip within the next 2 weeks. The first batch of letters were mailed about 2 weeks ago.

I was told that some service centers have some clips, but every service centre should have the clips next week.

Additionally he said that even though the change is easy to do, the recall must be performed by the service centre to be legal as this is a safety issue and the Fed. Gov't is involved with the recall.

This seems to me to be a potential problem if you do it yourself and then trade or sell the MH if the dealer checks on recall notices.

FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote