Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2008, 03:28 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tropical36:
... why it would be a better choice than most DP's? Cost maybe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>tropical36, By George, I think he's got it! Now that said the UFO does cost more than the other gas Workhorse products because of what it is however it is typically less expensive than an RDP.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, just as another thought. It looks like me and my W24 are getting a lot closer and dearer to each other. I personally think it's the best set up ever put together, and from the sounds of it nothing is going to be out there except DP or smaller gasser. (Already have lost the 37 footer from Winne. Not complaining, just makes what I have more appreciative.

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A Diesel UFO will cost less than some DPs but only because it doesn't have air suspension or air breaks, kind of like the Entry Level Monaco Roadmaster that my chassis competed against in house (also a Vacationer or LaPalma) and that chassis configuraton from Monaco is now discontinued.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Without the gas option is there a reason why it would be a better choice than most DP's? Cost maybe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for asking!

I can think of at least two big improvements on the UFO that are not included in tradational DP chassis.

#1 is the "torque box" with rear coil spring suspension. The ride and handling of the UFO suspension is more "sure-footed" than riding on air bags. Side-to-side wallow and leaning in the curves is noticably reduced. You really have to drive one to feel the difference.
#2 is the Wabco brake system. Proving grounds testing showed the UFO stops shorter than an equally loaded coach with air brakes.

We have at least 6 UFO owners posting in this forum. Perhaps they can add to my short list of reasons. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:31 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ed, I agree completly. The suspension and breaks are great. I am not interested in air bags or air breaks with all the ride adjustments and other things like big extra cost that you have to worry about that come with that option. The other main advantage is the flat floor all the way through the coach which I guess stays with the Maxxforce engine as well. But for me the only way to go is gas. I don't want the extra 10-15k cost for a diesel engine or the extra maintainence cost either.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:42 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers

This is a shot I took looking down on a Spartan Chassis at the Louisville Show. Does it look familiar? I believe that Spartan also approves of this great concept however I didn't ask them what the name of the device is.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:49 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The other main advantage is the flat floor all the way through the coach which I guess stays with the Maxxforce engine as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
GRAMPS: I'm not aware of a Maxxforce engine option for the UFO currently. One has been in the plans from inception, so I think your assumption about the flat floor is correct, but I did not want our readers to think a diesel UFO is currently available. ED
Old 12-03-2008, 04:54 AM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">.........on a Spartan Chassis at the Louisville Show </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
DANG! and I just posted that "only" the UFO had one! "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Did you happen to note which Spartan product has this feature?
ED
Old 12-03-2008, 07:13 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray:
Did you happen to note which Spartan product has this feature? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ed, You are not going to guess what they called the thing when I went there to inquire about it. Initially the 2 persons I spoke with oddly enough didn't know the name of the rectangular black plate.

When we did corner someone who did and when posed the question he said, "Oh that's a "Torque Box" made by Hendrickson!

Go figure! It only validates my claim that the RV business is small. There are only just so many suppliers that make products for RVs.

The rail is a 42 foot tag axle with a Cummins ISL not sure on the model number but it's the only chassis they brought.

Live, Louisville RV Exposition. (lunch time)
Old 12-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #24

American Coach Owners Club
Gramps....
You just might have a rare and valuable orphan there, so hold on to it.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not sure of how rare my coach is going to be, but maybe it will take on the aura of the vintage GMC coach built in the 70's.

As for the UFO, I, like Gramps purchased my particular coach for the following reasons:

1. Superior ride to the W20 I had previously
2. Great brakes as stated before.
3. Cost effective from my perspective. This coach has all the room my DW and I need for long trips. The base cost at the time was approx $142K with the fully loaded price of
$160K.
4. Did not want the extra $$ needed to get DP as I do not use full time.
5. Like the DP type entrance on this particular coach.
6. Love being able to talk and hear the radio. Even the FRED was not quiet enough for my tastes. Plus it cost more for comparable unit from Tiffin.
7. Like the pass thru compartments on some storage area to accomodate outdoor carpet, fishing poles, chairs etc.

Unless this unit burns to the ground or craters, I have no plans on trading or selling in the near or medium term. This is most likely my last coach and I am loving it.

Regards

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lash:
Not sure of how rare my coach is going to be, but maybe it will take on the aura of the vintage GMC coach built in the 70's.

Or maybe the EDSEL from FORD in the 50's.

Sorry Lash, couldn't resist.

Dieselclacker
Old 12-03-2008, 01:54 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
dieselclacker:

As in all things, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Best regards

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lash:
4. Did not want the extra $$ needed to get DP as I do not use full time.Regards </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Did I miss something? Am I supposed to have a DP?
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote