Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2008, 08:28 AM   #1

Looking for user opinions on the WH Gas Pusher with the Allison Pushbutton transmission. My old WH gives 7.2MPG average with my Honda Toad at 2150RPM. Just wondering what my new unit will give gas milage wise.
Also anyone have experience with the 07 or 08 Auto Brake? Please, comments and opinions about the earlier models are no help, I had one of those too!
Beethovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:28 AM   #2

Looking for user opinions on the WH Gas Pusher with the Allison Pushbutton transmission. My old WH gives 7.2MPG average with my Honda Toad at 2150RPM. Just wondering what my new unit will give gas milage wise.
Also anyone have experience with the 07 or 08 Auto Brake? Please, comments and opinions about the earlier models are no help, I had one of those too!
Beethovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:16 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the WH Gas Pusher with the Allison Pushbutton transmission in my 08 Destination. I pull an 06 CRV toad. MPG so far has been 5.5 to 6.5. 55mph equals 2200rpm.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have talked to two other owners with UFOs both have the Holiday Rambler 38plt (just like the coach I am taking delivery on tomorrow) and they get around the same mileage but, both told me they drive the rig pretty hard, over 70 down the interstate whenever possible. I get just at 8 with my Bounder towing, if I stay around 58 mph. So, I would think that the UFO is the same way. Don't hotfoot it and your mileage should be better, and after it gets used a bit, the mileage should go up even more?
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beethovin:
Also anyone have experience with the 07 or 08 Auto Brake? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>beethovin, Welcome to the iRV2 Workhorse Owner's Forum.

The Auto Apply Brake on the UFO is unlike any other system including the previous J71 and the J72 AAPB which is in current use on the W18 "only". All front engine powered Workhorse Chassis have a foot applied manual brake and a parking pawl except for W18.

The UFO's Wabco HPB braking system is a pre-charged, computer operated, 4W ABS system. The Auto Apply function is initiated via a conventional "Yellow" parking paddle on the dash and that is where the similarities stop.

The parking brake switch is an electrical device as I understand it which communicates to the brake computer to signal whether or not the parking brake should be on or off depending on whether or not a few conditions are met.

There are no electrical pumps, pressure or hydraulic switches that I am aware of like the previous J72. When the computer is satisfied that the operator intends to release the brakes a gentle gear engagement is felt in the drivetrain and one steps off the brake.

To apply the brake either manually apply the brake using the button or the quickest way is to select P on the Touch Button Shifter and walk away.

That's all there is to it.

The UFO has some tall gearing in fact it's 6.17 to 1. This will allow the UFO to climb hills and pull a toad with the greatest of ease however there will be a slight MPG penalty. The .61 - 6th gear ratio - 2nd overdrive - does help.

Please come back to visit us and feel free to post a lot!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is how my autopark works. When I shift into park it operates automatically. To release it, I step on the brake, push the neutral button and at the same time push in the yellow autopark knob. I then shift into gear and away we go.

If I want to apply manually I just pull out on the yellow autopark knob.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wthomas1:
I have the WH Gas Pusher with the Allison Pushbutton transmission in my 08 Destination. I pull an 06 CRV toad. MPG so far has been 5.5 to 6.5. 55mph equals 2200rpm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Wow! That's terrible. Reminds me of the motorhomes back in the 70s. I think I will stick with my puller that gets 8 mpg pulling my toad.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Full-Timers:
Wow! That's terrible.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Full-Timers, It's not that bad for a vehicle that has a combined weight rating of 30,000 pounds and a GVW of 26,000 pounds. You have to have a need to own a vehicle like this.

The UFO has some tall gearing in fact it's 6.17 to 1. This will allow the UFO to climb hills and pull a toad with the greatest of ease however there will be a slight MPG penalty. The .61 - 6th gear ratio - 2nd overdrive - does help.

Now at 57 MPH I turn about 2000 RPM or 200 RPM less and 2 MPH more. I also get 7.5+ MPG.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:24 AM   #9
paz

The only problem I found when I test drove a UFO last January at the Tampa show was the UFO handles SO well, it invites you to drive it hard. Also, with the engine in the rear, you can't hear how high it's revving. With my W24, the roar when the fan clutch kicks in reminds me to back off a little.

You have probably heard the best way to increase your fuel mileage is to drive like there is a raw egg between your foot and the gas pedal. That's hard to do in a UFO.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:17 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paz:
.... it invites you to drive it hard. Also, with the engine in the rear, you can't hear how high it's revving.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>paz, Of course it didn't help that I was telling you to "Step on the Gas!" "alot!"

I found exactly the same thing. The machine accelerates so effortlessly that when you do take your eyes off the road to look at the speedometer it's already illegal!
Old 06-27-2008, 07:24 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I found exactly the same thing. The machine accelerates so effortlessly that when you do take your eyes off the road to look at the speedometer it's already illegal! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I usually try to stay in the right lane as the speed limit (while towing) is 55 here in California. When I crossed the border to Arizona I stayed in the right lane behind the trucks. When I looked down at the speedometer I was doing 75 plus! I had no idea how fast I was going by anything other than the speedometer. Only then did I notice that the speed limit was 75 with no restrictions on towing. I slowed down to 60 and set the cruise control.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wthomas1:
I have the WH Gas Pusher with the Allison Pushbutton transmission in my 08 Destination. I pull an 06 CRV toad. MPG so far has been 5.5 to 6.5. 55mph equals 2200rpm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> WOW, I have to agree, thats not good with gas at 4plus a gal.