Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2007, 03:20 AM   #1

ok we are back from yellowstone. After having our jeep tranny problems we developed a new problem withour W20 THE INSTRUMENT panel dings three times and then the gas guage dropped to nothing and then went back to full. (we were full at the time it happened). The second time further down the road it dinged again and then all the instrument panel gauges dropped to 0 then came back up to normal. Then it happened again and came back. I could find nothing in the manual that talks about it. They do talk about a buzzing but no dinging.We will be taking it in to the workhorse dealer to see what is going on. It never quit when the problem happened. Any ideas??
campernut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2007, 03:20 AM   #2

ok we are back from yellowstone. After having our jeep tranny problems we developed a new problem withour W20 THE INSTRUMENT panel dings three times and then the gas guage dropped to nothing and then went back to full. (we were full at the time it happened). The second time further down the road it dinged again and then all the instrument panel gauges dropped to 0 then came back up to normal. Then it happened again and came back. I could find nothing in the manual that talks about it. They do talk about a buzzing but no dinging.We will be taking it in to the workhorse dealer to see what is going on. It never quit when the problem happened. Any ideas??
Old 06-30-2007, 03:43 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, there are two 1st guesses here

1: Bad ground, or other bad electrical connection. If only the gas gage is involved I'd check the ground on the gas tank itself first, then check all connections starting with the tank and working you way up to the dash.

2: TSB, There is a TSB on some workhorse dashes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:01 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
You can run a gauge test from your mode button.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:31 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by campernut2:
ok we are back from yellowstone. After having our jeep tranny problems we developed a new problem withour W20 THE INSTRUMENT panel dings three times and then the gas guage dropped to nothing and then went back to full. (we were full at the time it happened). The second time further down the road it dinged again and then all the instrument panel gauges dropped to 0 then came back up to normal. Then it happened again and came back. I could find nothing in the manual that talks about it. They do talk about a buzzing but no dinging.We will be taking it in to the workhorse dealer to see what is going on. It never quit when the problem happened. Any ideas?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a known issue with the Actia instrument panel. It appears to be caused in many cases by a voltage transient. Some people have tightened all grounds and reported some success.

The problem is that it is an intermittant problem and may only occur a few times over a two or three year period, so it's easy to think you did something to fix it when in reality it's hiding out waiting to do it again.

If you do a search on "IP", "instument panel" and so forth you should find a lot of posts concerning this.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:20 PM   #6

thanks to all..I sure will check the posts for IP. Lovely to have these problems when you are going down the road and far far from home.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Campernut
I just drove my unit home about 150 miles with no guages at all no tach, speedometer,gas guage, temperature guage,signals, odometer or gear selection information.
Quite a ride from Santa Barbara, CA to Anaheim, CA.
Will take it in tomorrow to Redlands Truck Service for them to repair and let you know what they find.

PS I did get temperature & Gas guage for about 5 miles in the middle of the trip home.
I have had my IC replaced once before about a year and a half ago.

2017 Forest River Heritage Glen Lite 34' Travel Trailer
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:16 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BobD:
Will take it in tomorrow to Redlands Truck Service for them to repair and let you know what they find. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Please say "HI! to Keith for us - Redlands is an iRV2.com sponsor.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:31 AM   #9

thanks BOBD I will interested in hearing what they say. I think that my hubby has appointment sometime next week for us. Ours always came back up instantly each time. Really weird. I am wondering if using I-90 in Minnesota did it. Really bad road. You vibrate the whole time on it. My Dad woke up and wanted to know what lousy road we were on! LOL
Old 07-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer,
I will say hello to Keith and KC when I pickup the coach. They were both out when I dropped off yesterday.
Campernut I was on a very ruff road going out to Redlands Truck Service so maybe that had something to do with the problem.
Will fill you in when it gets back.

2017 Forest River Heritage Glen Lite 34' Travel Trailer
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BobD:
I will say hello to Keith and KC when I pickup the coach.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>10-4!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:12 AM   #12

Tom N I ran the mode test and nothing wrong showed up that was wrong. Love intermittent problems.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:59 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine just did a reset on the road yesterday, but no dings happened. Everything came back without a problem. This is my second IP unit.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:59 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
There is a computer update for the panels...perhaps yours has not been done...It is a "free" update provided by workhorse for this issue...Before I had it done..I had the same issue 3 times within a 6 month period...since then It still happened once...in 1 1/2 yrs

2005 Dolphin
Gdlow is offline   Reply With Quote