Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Workhorse owners - Are We In Trouble?

Ours in shop for intermittant - problem. Tech called Workhorse support Thursday (problem occuring in shop Thur and Fri) As of today STILL no call back from Workhorse. Sat over weekend and problem now gone. After all the problems I've had, Camping World is begining to look great compared to Workhorse.
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I would expect as much .... In essence the chassis builder we knew is gone. You wouldn't believe the calls I get.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can you describe the problem.. It may be someoen (LIKE OEM) knows that kind of thing.

That said: I recall the fuel clip recall back in 05/06 I visited my dealer to set up an appointment, 2 weeks hence.. They said "no can do we can't get the part that fast" I told them schedule it (intending to drive to Workhorse and pick it up, they are that close) and went home and made a phone call.. 4 hours later the man in charge of customer service for Workhorse Custom chassis placed the part (And his business card) in my hand.. At my own house.

Amazing the service I got at that authorized center after turning in that part.. Attached to the card.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
After all the problems I've had, Camping World is beginning to look great compared to Workhorse.
We have 2 Camping World stores here and they don't work on chassis other than sell aftermarket suspension parts. Good luck with Camping World.

If there is any substantial change in the manner that Workhorse manages their service organization we'll hear it here from reputable sources like Redlands and Brazels and I would get an earful from my local service center here in Myrtle Beach.

So far .... nothing remarkable on the horizon but the company is in transition.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have needed assistance in wiring a new leveling system. I can't say enough form the prompt and accurate response fromworkhorse. They were very helpful and informative. I have been extremely satisfied with my chassis and the support I have received.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Amazing the service I got at that authorized center after turning in that part.. Attached to the card.
I bet the card would probably not work today. Lot's of folks are gone now that Navistar has merged Workhorse with Monaco, plant wise. Remember there is no more Workhorse Custom Chassis, just Workhorse.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Let your service center know that Workhorse tech service line is offline and that they need to contact their appropriate regional service manager for tech support...or call us
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #8

Camping World Portland/Wilsonville were wonderful. Helpful, knowledgeable, and understanding. Guess it all depends on management and staff.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jon - appreciate offer to call you but I belive in making system work if possible. If you were not so far away and so many mountians inbetween I would be happy to pay for service. Maybe you could start a billable online or telephone tech support service.
Driver and others. Sorry if it sounded like Camping World did Workhorse service. I was just comparing them as service organizations.
2010 33 foot Damon Daybreak with 2008 chassis, factory warranty and under 24,000 miles. No problems first 23,000 miles
The Problem: At its worst on hill downshifts one or two gears, no power and only running on four cylinders. Gas mileage has been going down from 9 to 7. The first occurrence was 105 degree day towing Jeep at 65 mph and going up small overpass - downshifted two gears (I think) and engine sounded like running on four cylinders. Limped into nearest town for tow to Houston and problem gone by time we got it to shop. Second time in Texas hill country with no toad and much cooler, virtually every hill engine missing badly if I tried to maintain speed but was able to maintain hwy speeds and keep engine running fairly smooth by softly accelerating down hill and essentially coasting up. Third time, no toad and just got off interstate for gas and for the first time no power and running so badly at idle and low speed that I had to stop. Eventually problem cleared, less than five minutes and ok rest of trip on flat land. Fourth and last going thru Houston no toad and going up a three level interchange , the big one again, down shift and sounded like only four cylinders firing. DW following me and at one point noticed white smoke. Barely got it to RV Masters (authorized Workhorse) The only visual thing I can offer is that passenger side cat converter seems to show much more heat related color. Tech confirmed all four passenger side cylinders source of problem. His test equipment shows no codes. I think I understood him saying that one side very lean and electronics compensating so that other side very rich.
DW makes a great irate consumer when needed, anyone we should be calling or anything I need to? Still in shop but no problems during test drive this week.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For a car I'd want to check the right cat for maybe being clogged? Maybe check the temps of both cats when the problem occurs.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
For a car I'd want to check the right cat for maybe being clogged? Maybe check the temps of both cats when the problem occurs.
IR gun in coach as well as cheap engine analyzer and software (under $20). Due to problem I have been doing all driving so I can't play with computer/software. Will change that next trip if not fixed.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Update: Homing in on O-2 sensor, Driver might be right, again.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
I bet the card would probably not work today. Lot's of folks are gone now that Navistar has merged Workhorse with Monaco, plant wise. Remember there is no more Workhorse Custom Chassis, just Workhorse.
Well.. I don't know If Alan still has a job or not.. But alas, the Authorized service center I handed the card to.... Gone. last time I drove past their new name was "hole in the ground". Dealer (IT was a chevy store) now out of business and alas no decent replacement in the area.. I Though there is one 6 miles away that could do the job. (Has big enough service bays) but there is no other auth-service center for many miles that can hold a 38' RV.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Well.. I don't know If Alan still has a job or not..
Yes, Alan is still the National Service Director for Workhorse and he remains alive, well, and active, managing the Regional Service Managers who are interacting with over 300 Workhorse Authorized Service Centers on a daily basis.

Sorry your closest dealer closed, but businesses fail every day. Tough economy STILL taking its toll.
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
workhorse