Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
I purchased the Sumo Springs through Supersteer. The Tiffin chassis group told me they have seen success using this product. This device becomes part of the suspension by fitting between chassis frame rail and top of axle. It replaces the bump stop and unlike bump stop, it is in contact at all times. It design is to take up the gap between frame and axle reducing sway. I haven't tested it yet as RV is in for oil change. I'm optimistic but I am ready to build a trac bar to complete the handling performance upgrades.

I will circle back and give my evaluation of the Sumo Springs for my P32 chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2015, 01:29 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Okay a follow-up on the front steering stabilizer shock and Sumo Springs. I installed the front steering stabilizer shock since I had purchased it last season. I cannot tell any real difference with this device installed, not to say it doesn't assist front end stabilization. I just cannot feel a difference.
As for the Sumo Springs, I wish I would have started making improvements at the rear end first as the sway has all but disappeared. Before Sumo Springs were installed, a small car could pass me and the wind change would push RV rear end to the right and front to the left creating the wagging sensation. Now I can drive in a cross wind with semi trucks passing and little to no effect on the chassis. The improvement is tremendous! Best improvement for the buck spent so far!

Thank you Sumo Springs!!!
Old 04-14-2015, 02:53 PM   #17

Just curious, did your chassis come with a rear anti-sway bar?

I'm asking because you mention the Sumo springs having constant contact with the rear axle and resisting sway. It seems that if they do this by adding stiffness to whatever side wants to sway, they also add stiffness when the chassis hits a bump traveling in a straight line and would make the ride stiffer. An anti sway bar has no effect in a straight line, but only comes into effect when the chassis sways. The rear anti sway bar on my Trek is gigantic - probably 2 or more inches in diameter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAquaman View Post
I purchased the Sumo Springs through Supersteer. The Tiffin chassis group told me they have seen success using this product. This device becomes part of the suspension by fitting between chassis frame rail and top of axle. It replaces the bump stop and unlike bump stop, it is in contact at all times. It design is to take up the gap between frame and axle reducing sway. I haven't tested it yet as RV is in for oil change. I'm optimistic but I am ready to build a trac bar to complete the handling performance upgrades.

I will circle back and give my evaluation of the Sumo Springs for my P32 chassis.

2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:11 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can buy Sumo Springs direct and DIY install if you want.
SuperSprings Self-Adjusting Suspension Stabilizers
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
My chassis does have a 1 3/4" OEM sway bar. It didn't seem to help with the wagging.
It appeared the issue was the rear leaf springs gap between axle and frame beam created an area where house could be pushed one side or the other before bump stops would come into action. The Sumo Springs make continuous contact taking up that gap and become an active part of the suspension.
As far as creating a rougher ride, I haven't noticed any difference. In fact, the new replacement springs on the front end are more rough over bumps and pot holes.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:45 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1429717489.638316.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  99.2 KB
2001 Workhorse P32 front stabilizer shock installed.

Tags
abs, chassis, workhorse