RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 165
Workhorse! Please take notes on how Toyota is handling their recall!

This recall is a big blow to Toyota, but they are handling this the right way. Quick and Efficiently. I think because of Toyota's proactive stance they will recover just fine and this will be a bad memory that will not happen to them again.

The Lexus that crashed and killed the Highway Patrol officer and his family was only miles from where I live. Its sad it took a death for this issue to be brought into the spotlight. And this in itself will cost Toyota big!

I'm thinking until someone dies in a Workhorse chassis or any other chassis that has Bosch brakes we will not see the attention and pro-activeness that Toyota is giving there customers. Heck Workhorse is still selling new chassis with the recalled brake calipers on them. And these RV manufactures are excepting them and building coaches on them.

I dont have a Toyota, but if I did I would feel much better knowing this recall is going to get taken care of right the first time vs. how Workhorse and Bosch are handling theirs.

Maybe if every manufacture put a stop to excepting defective Bosch brakes for building RV's or commercial truck cabs on chassis with Bosch brakes this would wake up Workhorse / Bosch and I bet they would have a solution and product on the street within weeks or months vs years.

Being that recalls are a main topic in the news right now. Maybe a show like NBC's Dateline Investigates or ABC's 20/20 would like to look into this Bosch brake recall. They could go back and find out how long this has really been going on and how Workhorse was trying to cover it up, by stating it was all driver error.
__________________

dezertcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
powerboatr's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North East Texas
Posts: 4,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezertcamper View Post
This recall is a big blow to Toyota, but they are handling this the right way. Quick and Efficiently. I think because of Toyota's proactive stance they will recover just fine and this will be a bad memory that will not happen to them again.

The Lexus that crashed and killed the Highway Patrol officer and his family was only miles from where I live. Its sad it took a death for this issue to be brought into the spotlight. And this in itself will cost Toyota big!

I'm thinking until someone dies in a Workhorse chassis or any other chassis that has Bosch brakes we will not see the attention and pro-activeness that Toyota is giving there customers. Heck Workhorse is still selling new chassis with the recalled brake calipers on them. And these RV manufactures are excepting them and building coaches on them.

I dont have a Toyota, but if I did I would feel much better knowing this recall is going to get taken care of right the first time vs. how Workhorse and Bosch are handling theirs.

Maybe if every manufacture put a stop to excepting defective Bosch brakes for building RV's or commercial truck cabs on chassis with Bosch brakes this would wake up Workhorse / Bosch and I bet they would have a solution and product on the street within weeks or months vs years.

Being that recalls are a main topic in the news right now. Maybe a show like NBC's Dateline Investigates or ABC's 20/20 would like to look into this Bosch brake recall. They could go back and find out how long this has really been going on and how Workhorse was trying to cover it up, by stating it was all driver error.
how can you say Toyota is handling it proactively?
they recalled cars only after the G got involved, and then said it wasnt a big deal,
recalling cars from the past 8 years or so is yes hitting the problem upfront
remediable them denying the floormat was sliding under the pedal, this past year????
__________________

__________________
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2016 Expedition or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
TW
Senior Member
 
TW's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,004
Question Recall ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezertcamper View Post
This recall is a big blow to Toyota, but they are handling this the right way. Quick and Efficiently. I think because of Toyota's proactive stance they will recover just fine and this will be a bad memory that will not happen to them again.

The Lexus that crashed and killed the Highway Patrol officer and his family was only miles from where I live. Its sad it took a death for this issue to be brought into the spotlight. And this in itself will cost Toyota big!

I'm thinking until someone dies in a Workhorse chassis or any other chassis that has Bosch brakes we will not see the attention and pro-activeness that Toyota is giving there customers. Heck Workhorse is still selling new chassis with the recalled brake calipers on them. And these RV manufactures are excepting them and building coaches on them.

I dont have a Toyota, but if I did I would feel much better knowing this recall is going to get taken care of right the first time vs. how Workhorse and Bosch are handling theirs.

Maybe if every manufacture put a stop to excepting defective Bosch brakes for building RV's or commercial truck cabs on chassis with Bosch brakes this would wake up Workhorse / Bosch and I bet they would have a solution and product on the street within weeks or months vs years.

Being that recalls are a main topic in the news right now. Maybe a show like NBC's Dateline Investigates or ABC's 20/20 would like to look into this Bosch brake recall. They could go back and find out how long this has really been going on and how Workhorse was trying to cover it up, by stating it was all driver error.
Where is the GOVERNMENT in all the countries ?
Sure ONE day we will have forgotten this "thing", but now there is a brake problem on the PRIUS too!!!
It took AUDI years to overcome their problem with selfacceleration or was it Starting? Sometimes in the 80 s/90 s
I'm a bit scared to upgrade to a bigger Motorhome
Lets keep the 'small' one.

Lets just wait another year or two, I say!

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing
 
DriVer's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 23,488
Blog Entries: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TW View Post
Lets just wait another year or two, I say!
TW, Exactly and in a year or 2, I fully expect that the 66mm Bosch calipers on your Ford motorhome will present in the same manner as it does on Workhorse motorhomes. Don't take my word for it go and take a look at "your" calipers. They are identical to mine.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
fsc
Junior Member
 
fsc's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Beloit, WI
Posts: 23
Send a message via AIM to fsc Send a message via Skype™ to fsc
a question

What is wrong with Bosch brake calipers? I just bought a 2006 Fleetwood on a Workhorse chassis.

forrest
__________________
Forrest and Mary Clark, Beloit, Wisconsin
2012 Fleetwood Terra 34E, 2010 Honda Fit Sport toad, Blue Ox towbar, Blue Ox Patriot supplemental brake
fsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing
 
DriVer's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 23,488
Blog Entries: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezertcamper View Post
This recall is a big blow to Toyota, but they are handling this the right way. Quick and Efficiently. I think because of Toyota's proactive stance they will recover just fine and this will be a bad memory that will not happen to them again..
dezertcamper, Don't know why you wanted to start this thread however if I were Toyota I would be very much apologizing and getting this 9,000,000 vehicle recall completed as quickly as possible because they already killed over 100 people. In the past many years (10) that are covered under the Bosch recall there has not been 1 injury and you can check the NHTSA reports.

There remains a group of experts that are doubtful that Toyota is fixing the problem with a 1 inch square piece of steel called a shim. They remain of the opinion that when Toyota switched over to fly-by-wire that the electronics is creating the problem and not the gas pedal. I don't expect that this situation is over yet.

I listened to the News reports this evening and the jury is still out in regard as to how Toyota is handling this issue and whether their response is adequate.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing
 
DriVer's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 23,488
Blog Entries: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsc View Post
What is wrong with Bosch brake calipers? I just bought a 2006 Fleetwood on a Workhorse chassis.
Forrest, I believe that you are running a W-18 unless I am mistaken. If that is the case then you are NOT involved in the Bosch caliper recall since you have Brembo brakes.

If you have a W20 you should have received an Interim Notice. If you need additional information please let me know. We have volumes of information here about Bosch Brakes. Please check the stickies for the latest official information from Workhorse and the NHTSA.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
fsc
Junior Member
 
fsc's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Beloit, WI
Posts: 23
Send a message via AIM to fsc Send a message via Skype™ to fsc
Thank you, DriVer. You are correct. This small unit is on a W-18. I should have read more before posting then I would have known that this is not under the recall. But I do appreciate your response. I still have a LOT to learn about the unit which I just bought this past August.

forrest
__________________
Forrest and Mary Clark, Beloit, Wisconsin
2012 Fleetwood Terra 34E, 2010 Honda Fit Sport toad, Blue Ox towbar, Blue Ox Patriot supplemental brake
fsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
TW
Senior Member
 
TW's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,004
Question Bosch calipers !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
TW, Exactly and in a year or 2, I fully expect that the 66mm Bosch calipers on your Ford motorhome will present in the same manner as it does on Workhorse motorhomes. Don't take my word for it go and take a look at "your" calipers. They are identical to mine.
I hope to have another Motorhome ...
I sure will have a GOOD look at it

Do we still build products, that will PERFORM without any troubles, at least for a few years? I just don't want to go back to the horse and buggy times, or our first Motorhome ...a CONCORD. Those were good times.....

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #10
Senior Member


 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: chokoloskee, fl 34138
Posts: 706
some on tv news are saying this toyota gas pedal, floor mat is a red herring and some toyotas are accelerating not hanging up at a set speed one crash that killed entire famly was at 120 mph. it may be electronics
__________________
2016 Dynamax DX3
USCG Ret BMCM
ron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
George Z's Avatar


 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
some on tv news are saying this toyota gas pedal, floor mad is a red herring and some toyotas are accelerating not hanging up at a set speed one crash that killed entire famly was at 120 mph. it may be electronics
I just saw a news cast stating they were adding this shim to compensate for wear so the pedal would not hang up. How much wear does a 2010 model Lexus that was shown after it crashed have? We probably have not seen the conclusion to this recall. It looks as though no recall ever goes smoothly.

\George
__________________
Kathy & George Zimm
Mickleton, NJ
2006 Coachman Epic & 2013 Chevy Equinox Toad
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:01 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
az bound's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Surprise Arizona
Posts: 1,994
Driver; Just purchased moho on 2008 W22 chasis. Is there any reason for concern and is this year involved in the campaign.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #13
iRV2 Marketing
 
DriVer's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 23,488
Blog Entries: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Driver; Just purchased moho on 2008 W22 chassis. Is there any reason for concern and is this year involved in the campaign.
az bound, The calipers on your 2008 motorhome will perform well and you have ne reason to be alarmed or concerned.

There remains however the recommendation that you flush your brake fluid every 2 years which will remove at least 1 element from the equation that contributes significantly to hydraulic brake system issues.

If you are the owner of record since new and you have not received an Interim Notice it would appear that your are outside the initial focus group.

I expect that in time you may be notified in regard to your calipers as to whether or not those will be under the scope of the recall and I'm sure they will be. In the recall notices in the stickies we are seeing that 2008 and 2009 vehicles being a subject of the recall. I don't expect that you are going to fall outside of the range and your vehicle will be included at some point.

Your vehicle also has a TGB or Transmission Grade Brake. Make sure you turn it on and have a good working knowledge of how to use it. Vehicles so equipped from year 2005 onward exhibit few brake problems however whether that in of itself is a reason or not we'll have to see in time.

Vehicles dated 2004 and older are more apt to display the symptoms described in the notices and not necessarily because they are not equipped with TGB. Components of the equation that are apparent to anyone that examines the data will indicate that age, lack of mileage, few repetitive brake cycles over time, extended periods of inactivity and buildup of contaminants in the brake fluid all form to create a perfect storm yielding the need to accomplish a premature mother of all brake jobs. There also exists an element of driver error where owners still do not feel comfortable driving large vehicles under challenging conditions and may unknowingly ride their brakes. (This is a very controversial statement and is not intended to point the finger at anyone)

I don't want to omit mentioning that there is an engineering deficiency with the caliper that has been addressed and once tooling and production begin and quantities sufficient enough to begin the campaign are in place that all Workhorse owners involved in this campaign will be notified in writing as to how to proceed. At the moment there is only an Interim Notice. In time the campaign will be formally announced.

If anyone goes into the "My Motorhome" on workhorse.com you will not see the 50901-C listed because the campaign has not been released.

A motorhome is meant to be driven. The nature of its heavy duty construction requires a lot of exercise in much the same manner that anyone of us do. Whether you have a couch potato motorhome or an endurance runner will determine how well all the systems on your vehicle perform including tires.

My recommendation to you therefore is be aware and go out and enjoy your new motorhome and like Alan would say, "Drive it like you stole it!!"
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
az bound's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Surprise Arizona
Posts: 1,994
Thanks for the information. I am probably not the ownrer of record yet as we have not taken delivery. We plan to wear the tires out before they are dated.
__________________

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Workhorse Owners Club Sets New Attendance Record at Spring Rally DriVer RV Industry Press 4 08-14-2008 07:56 PM
First Of Two 2007 Workhorse Owner's Club Rallies Draws A Crowd DriVer RV Industry Press 6 06-20-2007 04:43 PM
Workhorse UFO™ Brings A Wave Of New Choices To Motor Home Buyers DriVer RV Industry Press 6 03-25-2007 02:39 PM
GVW Holdings to Sell Workhorse and Uptime Parts to International DriVer RV Industry Press 4 07-22-2005 09:43 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×