RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
There are four Workhorse service centers in Iowa according to the WCC website. I can list them for you if you like, but they are easily accessed on the website.

CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #16
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Thanks Mike and bruceh, it has never failed to start and not run. It just cuts out at times some times just like a skip and others the whole motorhome will shake. Will see what I can find out. Mike I am in Iowa now heading to Columbia, MO. Anything there? Again thanks everyone.

Going on the assumption that you will be coming down I-35 from Iowa through Kansas City where you change to I-435,and then pickup I-70 east to Columbia, Mo, there is/was a WH service center on the east side of I-435 before you cross the Missouri river. Take the Parvin Rd/Russell Rd exit. We used to take our previous MH, a 2005 Winnebago Voyage/W-20 to them for service work when needed. Here is the link with address and phone #. The service center is also located across the street from Worlds of Fun, which has a very nice CG if needed.

Westfall GMC Trucks 3915 NE Randolph Rd Kansas City, MO 64141 (816) 332-6784

https://www.worldsoffun.com/worlds-o...ge-information

Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks JC2 called them and will make an appt when I know more about when I will be there.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A couple of years ago, I had a similar problem. My MH was sputtering and missing very bad. I could not get over about 50 mph. It died a couple of times. Diagnosed a bad fuel pump due to low fuel pressure. Fuel filter was changed but did not help. Then the fuel pump was changed but still not 100%. Engine was still missing but would least run over 50 mph. I had spark plugs and plug wires changed. Now runs perfect. So I guess mine was a combination of fuel pump and plugs. The fuel pump is not an easy job. Mine was located in the gas tank. We had to drain gas tank and lower tank to get to the fuel pump.
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Reading codes:
Can any Chevy dealer do it : YES, Will they? Different question
Can Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Discount Auto and most any other auto parts store either read the codes or sell you a code reader... Sure can, In fact the more simple code readers are cheaper than the chevy dealer for just a code read.

I do not have the URL handy but there is a company that makes an adapter and software for your Poor Computer (PC) to read the codes as well.. Price is not bad either.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm at the campground across from Westfall GMC now, will make an appt tomorrow. Thanks all for your help.
There's also a Harley Davidson plant here that has tours and a museum so will be doing that also.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #21
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Reading codes:
Can any Chevy dealer do it : YES, Will they? Different question.
Folks have to know that anyone can read a code with any number of devices including our "favored" Scan Gauge II. Only the Tech II used on the ODBII of our Workhorse chassis can display a diagnostic with a highest degree of confidence. Electronic parts are expensive and in several cases there isn't an easy path for refunds.

Before I endorse a diagnosis, I would prefer to see the DTC displayed on a Tech II but that's just my opinion.

The recommendation that "was" put forward by Workhorse since its inception was to call ahead and explain what the problem is. This is important since not all GM dealers can fit a motorhome on their lot however a WASC certainly can.

Calling ahead is good practice and it would go a long way to getting the right people on a problem with the best expectancy for a positive result. We have heard a lot of cases here when a motorhome was towed to a facility only to find out at the start of business, they were unable to support the repair for any number of reasons.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #22
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I'm at the campground across from Westfall GMC now, will make an appt tomorrow. Thanks all for your help.
There's also a Harley Davidson plant here that has tours and a museum so will be doing that also.
That's sounds like you have a plan. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Though I use a lower cost scanner. I support Driver on the Tech II. The codes are often a bit cryptic and the better scanners have software that do a bit more than just read the code.

Example.. This is OBD-1 (You can read OBD 1 using nothing more than the ignition key, a paper clip pencil paper and the book)

Car started running rough... I read the code, called the man with the book, he gave me the class of error (not the specific error) I popped the hood, hooked the sensor back up and away I drove (Yup, I had had that problem before).
Old 07-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #24
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
--> on the ODBII of our Workhorse chassis <--
Regrets, excuse - dyslexia; it's OBDII (on board diagnostics II)
Old 07-25-2013, 02:15 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Reading codes:
Can any Chevy dealer do it : YES, Will they? Different question
Can Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Discount Auto and most any other auto parts store either read the codes or sell you a code reader... Sure can, In fact the more simple code readers are cheaper than the chevy dealer for just a code read.

I do not have the URL handy but there is a company that makes an adapter and software for your Poor Computer (PC) to read the codes as well.. Price is not bad either.
just type the obd2 code in the google search engine and a wealth of info pops up. imho there is no need for a expensive obd code reader.
the tech 2 scanner is a different story. some problems such as some brake problems do not show up on an obd2 scan.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '18 MB CLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #26

It sounds like you fuel filter is starting to clog. I had a filter that caused my truck to miss, sometimes sputter, and then run fine for a long time. At first I thought it was the road causing me to bounce. Until it a nasty rain storm. If you just idle the MH does it idle fine? Does it happen at certain speeds? When a fuel filter starts to clog it can happen anytime but usually at higher speeds because the filter won't allow enough fuel to pass through it. As it progresses, you can barely drive above an idle because no gas can pass. If the filter is easy enough to get to, I would change it, check your air filter and change that before you take it to a shop and ends up costing you an arm or so. You could pull a plug and see if your running lean or rich. Plugs can tell you a lot about what your engine's doing.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well went to Westfall GMC and I think its fixed. But I think they wore me out with the $$. Showed me a spark plug that they said was arking to the base of itself (carbon tracking), replaced all 8, they said 2 plug wires were heat damaged replaced all 8 and they replaced 2 heat shields. I did not see the plug wires. Got am oil change (2 Qt oil filter) 8 Qts of Mobil 1 5W 30 (7 in the motor and one to go) chassis lub and the air filter. Total was $948.46! Drove 150 miles and it was fine, so seams fine and I am glad to have it running well. Another story, we were going down the interstate the day before in our tode (Kia Sportage) and it just stooped running and I coasted to the side as best I could. Would turn over but would not crank! Called CoachNet (these people are great and I would highly recommend them) and had it towed to the nearest Kia dealer and long story short replaced the timing belt $387! I hope things will calm down for a while. We started this trip a few months ago with frig, steps and ac problems, got the steps and frig problems fixed and have an ac waiting on us at home! Thanks to everyone for their help.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:19 PM   #28

Quote:
I have a 2004 Pace Arrow with a WorkHorse 8.1 with 22,000 miles on it. About a year ago on our way home from Myrtle Beach it got where it would hardly run (spittin and spuddering) and I had to get off I-20 because I did not think I could pull up the hills. I went to a friends house and we put 3 cans of Seafoam in the tank (had about 50 or 60 gal of gas). It ran fine and I thought Seafoam was great stuff. Fast forward to this trip about 3 months ago and it started spittin and spuddering and I pulled over and checked everything I could think of and found nothing. Got back on the road and it ran fine. Now today same trip but 3,500 miles ago and a couple months it started again. Checked everything and found nothing, got back on the road and still there pull over and added 2 cans of Seafoam. Back on the road and about the same thing. First time I had been on the road for about 2 hours and had used about half of a tank of gas. Don't remember the next time, today we had been in Sturgis for 2 weeks with the tank full, used about half of that tank and then had the problem. I was running about 70 MPH most of the day, I was working it hard. But nothing compared to all the mountains we have been thru. My thinking is if it were the fuel filter it would not clear itself up. It could be a heat problem (not running hot), I pulled the oil dip stick and it was so hot that it burned my fingers and I had to drop it on the ground! The first time it was working hard in hot weather also. What was the heat problem with the spark plug wires that they had at one time? If it were that would it run fine and break down when hot and run fine again? Today we had stoped at a rest area for about half of an hour and got back on the road and it started. We are in Mitchell, SD at this time and I think I need to find someone that can read the codes for me. Can any Chevrolet dealer do it? Where is Brazell's, I think they are in this part of the world? Thanks all for any help.
I have a 2003 Fleetwood Bounder with the same 8.1 L engine as your 2004 Pace Arrow. I was troubled with the same issue for a number of months back in 2008/2009. On our way back from Alaska in 2009 I finally had it looked at by Brazel's in Washington state. The problem was found to be a defective fuel pump. They told me that Fleetwood had a known problem with some of the pumps in the early 2000 rigs. Something about the holes in the pump screen being to small and under certain conditions causing vapor lock. Fleetwood never issued a recall or let owners know about the problem. Brasel's changed the pump and never had another problem. Hope this helps.

Mr. Roo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
workhorse