Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2015, 02:18 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Curious, what is "UFO" stand for. I know the RED and REG, but UFO?
jt
When WCC introduced the R26 chassis, a rear gas pusher, their marketing people decided to call it the UFO because that stood for two features:
Unlimited Floorplan Options and Universal Fuel Options.

The coach builders were provided with a chassis on which a totally flat floor from front to rear was possible, providing them with unlimited design capability. The universal FUEL option never actually materialized as only gasoline powered chassis where commercially produced, but propane and Cummins and Navistar diesel engines were considered and tested.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Curious, what is "UFO" stand for. I know the RED and REG, but UFO?
Hey jt,

UFO = Universal Floorplan Option (No engine hump - flat floor from front to rear)
UFO = Universal Fuel Option (There was going to be an option for a diesel however that never became available to the OEMs)
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks guys. Just something I wasn't familiar with. Didn't realize that was a rear engine gas unit out there.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:04 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That makes perfectly good sense DriVer. Motorhoming is my hobbie and I'm a gearhead that likes to stay abreast of the latest and greatest. I've watched the evolution of the motorhome for 20 years. I've owned 3 rigs. A Ford and a Workhorse, both Winnebago products. The latter was a great coach, heads and tails above my first one and l bought them both new. When I decided to go diesel I purchased used because I didn't want the newer DEF emission system because of its complexity and added maintenance. A lot of owners look at it as if it's the same as putting catalytic systems on engines back in the 70s. In complexity it's not even close. So I agree, if I was a coach builder the W26 would be very attractive as an alternative to the XC-S for numerous reasons. I could sell it on maintenance cost alone. But I digress. All that aside, I do love my DP. Thanks for all the great info. You're a wealth of info.
Just a side note. The first time I looked at a bare W26 I thought, if you added a compressor you could have installed air suspension, with a gas engine and you'd have the best of both worlds. Wouldn't be cheap, but just a random thought. But then you might as well buy a DP.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:23 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
A side note. The first time I looked at a bare W26 I thought, if you added a compressor you could have installed air suspension, with a gas engine and you'd have the best of both worlds. Wouldn't be cheap, but just a random thought. But then you might as well buy a DP.
If the R-26 had an air suspension coupled with its Hendrickson Torque Box suspension you would essentially have a mini-Spartan Chassis. If you look at the rear suspension of the R-26 and a Spartan K-2 you will see a similar looking rectangular plate over the top of the differential. This is what gives he R-26 rigidity going into corners. On exit ramps, it's like the machine is on rails and the box stays remarkably level.
One of the test drive points was to ask the driver to get in the throttle 1/2 way through the exit turn. The R-26 would just hook-up and take off unlike other suspensions that might want to desperately roll the machine over.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:01 AM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I've been following this thread with great interest. Our previous coach was an 04 Allegro 32BA built on a WCC W-20 chassis. I owned it for nine years and put many happy miles on it. I had a few problems with it, but nothing that could not be taken care of. I did add Koni FSD's, rear anti-sway bar and front suspension improvements over the years and those aftermarket additions made all the difference in the world in the handling and drivability of the unit.

I now own a 35 foot Allegro built on a 22000lb Ford F53 chassis. It's a bigger and heavier coach than my W-20. The DW and I really like the livability of the motorhome and it, up to this point has been trouble free. The Ford engine is very dependable and I love the transmission with the tow haul feature. But the handling of my Ford does not compare to the handling of my previous rig. The W-20 was much easier to drive, including using the brakes. I've added a Safe T Plus to my coach and it has helped a little.

I'm trying not to take shots at the F-53 chassis because we really like our coach and the F-53 is a very dependable platform. With that said, I am anticipating what the new WCC does with its new venture and look forward to seeing some NEW motorhomes with the WCC horse logo in dealer lots and campgrounds.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:47 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I know own a Spartan Mountain Master chassis with IFS. This coach reminds me of driving a big 60s Caddy down the road but with much better handling. And yes I do remember that DriVer on the test drive.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
I own a Spartan and yes I do remember that DriVer on the test drive.

Tags
chassis, class a, workhorse