Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #1

I am in the process of looking at several smaller 35-37' rear diesel pushers as trade up candidates to replace my W22.

I dont see a lot of the workhorse diesels but I do like the fact that the have the Cummins 330/950 engine as opposed to the c7 Cat.

But I dont hear a lot about the Workhorse diesel chassis. Does anyone have any comments on them compared to the more common Freightliner or Roadmaster units?

I am interested in issues like turning radius, service locations, warranty, reliability etc

Thanks

Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #2

I am in the process of looking at several smaller 35-37' rear diesel pushers as trade up candidates to replace my W22.

I dont see a lot of the workhorse diesels but I do like the fact that the have the Cummins 330/950 engine as opposed to the c7 Cat.

But I dont hear a lot about the Workhorse diesel chassis. Does anyone have any comments on them compared to the more common Freightliner or Roadmaster units?

I am interested in issues like turning radius, service locations, warranty, reliability etc

Thanks

Don

Old 05-07-2007, 07:34 PM   #3

The WH RDP chassis's scarcity is no doubt connected with the fact that it's used on only two models: the Gulfstream Crescendo Special and the Mandalay Presidio. OTOH, I don't think the UFO is being built in a diesel version yet.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mahlon:
The WH RDP chassis's scarcity is no doubt connected with the fact that it's used on only two models: the Gulfstream Crescendo Special and the Mandalay Presidio. OTOH, I don't think the UFO is being built in a diesel version yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Make that 3. Rexhall uses them too.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:26 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If it were me, I'd stick with Freightliner, or Spartan. I'm not too sure about Roadmaster in respect to getting them serviced as well. As mentioned there aren't too many WH diesel chassis' out there and service could be a real issue. You can find Freighliner and Spartan dealerships everywhere.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:13 AM   #6

Commercial Member

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Send a message via AIM to oemtech
I had this discussion in 04 with John Rider at the National IRV2 rally in Borene, Tx. I was of the opinion then and am now that WCC is fighting an up hill battle with the current established chassis builders.

I don't see the R chassis doing any better today. It will stay this way until one of the major OEM's makes it standard on a one of it models. I also had this conversation with DriVer a few months ago. I said then, "We will see if the R chssis is like cream and rises to the top"

Winnebago made a version... back in 04.
oemtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:49 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The Workhorse RDP has a loyal group of owners who have told me more than once how much happier they are with the R-Series than their previous RDP product which they traded in.

It's premature to count the R-Series out just yet because it is a great product and the service resources are increasing every day. International Truck & Engine and Roadmaster Chassis have formed a joint venture called Custom Chassis Products, LLP which will see R-Series and Roadmaster Chassis being built in the same facility. The plans call for up to 5,000 units per year to be produced and I am curious as to how all of that will work out.

The R-Series production has been moved from the Autocar manufacturing facility in Hagerstown, IN to it's new home in Elkhart, IN.

International Truck & Engine is very much committed toward moving forward in the RV business and the R-Series is but one component of that initiative. Couple the initiative to build with International's strong service and parts organization and you can see where owning an R-Series makes a lot of sense.

The R-Series is not going anywhere. The new R-Series chassis will be powered by Caterpillar engines and the Allison 3000MH transmission will continue to be featured. There are many innovations in the chassis and to learn all about the R-Series click on the graphic below:

2007 Workhorse R-Series RDP

About the R-Series warranty; You're covered. Your R Series chassis is covered by the most comprehensive transferable warranty in the industry, plus 24-hour roadside assistance for three years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Allison transmissions are covered by a five-year, 200,000 mile warranty.

Specifications in the on-line information listed are subject to change.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote