Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Workhorse Rear Shock Identification problem

I am considering changing shocks @ 65,000 miles to Koni FSD. When I bought the rig, 2004 Newmar K.Star gas W22, it had 22,000 miles and badly needed shocks, so I had Bilsteins installed.

My problem is this. The rear shocks from Koni has a mounting eye on the top, and a pin on the bottom. When I crawl under the rig the Bilsteins has an eye on the top and an eye on the bottom. I called Koni today, and they only know of an offer the pin on the bottom. And don't know of a suitable crossover.

I am really taken back by this dilemma, and wonder if other Workhorse owners have raun into this problem. And if so, what was the solution?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
I am really taken back by this dilemma, and wonder if other Workhorse owners have run into this problem. And if so, what was the solution?
Call and ask for Mike or Keith @ Redland's RV Performance Center. They will know exactly which Koni FSD Shock absorbers will fit. There are definitely FSD Shocks that are for 2004 applications and beyond Workhorse W Series Chassis.

You may also call Jon at Brazel's RV Performance Center as well. Either person will help you resolve this dilemma.

In your VIN# what is the 10th digit? This will tell you the year. Should it be a 4 then it's a 2004 ... etc.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
From 01 to 04 the front one had two eyes and the rear had an eye on the top and a pin on the bottom. The Koni we site has info. See HERE
After 04 the fronts have an eye on top and bottom and the rears have a pin on top and bottom. See HERE
Old 04-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
From 01 to 04 the front one had two eyes and the rear had an eye on the top and a pin on the bottom. The Koni we site has info. See HERE
.... and that's the truth!
Old 04-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
And eating crow is always a problem.......the first step is getting my big foot out of my big mouth.
Apologies to all. I was so dead certain the rear shocks had an eye on the bottom, and I was going to prove it by posting a photo today. Well, I drug a light and extension cord along with the camera over to storage, hooked every thing up slid under the rig, and guess what.........no eye but pin with big rubber grommets. Ugh I hate it when that happens!
Again, thanks for your response.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Again, thanks for your response.
Because that's what we do here in this forum. For the majority of the contributors - it's not our 1st dance and you won't find a better bunch of guys that will go out of their way to get you the information you need.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
I believe that the rear shock mounting changed sometime in the middle of the 04 model year, such that the 04's could have either type. So you would need to know what serial number was at the change-over.

When I ordered my FSD's the Koni selection chart called out the wrong ones for my chassis, and I had to pay shipping to return them. A little bit of research and a call to the National Koni rep got me the right ones.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote