Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have not changed the oil yet. It's cold and snowy but I think I've only put 15 to 1800 miles on the new engine. It has whatever oil GM put in it. Amazingly the oil level has not moved down the dipstick a silly centimeter, nada oil burning so far. However the first engine probably used less than a qt in 3000 miles.
Yes I've been to Moab and across the Rockies and I did mention to my wife that we are approaching where our old engine came undone.
I still have have the 'manual turn on fan switch', but I have said over and over again, and it seems you don't get it, the manual switch is for when I want the engine on, the automatic switch is not affected and if I have'nt already turned it on, it comes on all by itself, and I have no control to turn it off when it is getting it's power from the ECM or what ever it is that turns it on.
Why are you interested in my new engines oil consumption? Once I just accepted that the 8.1 is going to use some oil, I really was never concerned about my 1st engine. I will most definitly keep a log of all oil used and changed, I might need that record again.
I dpon't think oil had any thing to do with my old engine blowing and I probably won't change the kind of oil I put in the new engine. My old engine had it's oil changed more often than most. Only once did I go over 3000 miles between changes. What oil do you recomend for a new engine?

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #30
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Why are you interested in my new engines oil consumption?
Gee Max I thought we were friends and could converse about engine oil .... NO? there are no underlying purposes other that to talk about motor oil.

Quote:
I don't think oil had any thing to do with my old engine blowing and I probably won't change the kind of oil I put in the new engine.
I agree with that position Max.

Quote:
What oil do you recommend for a new engine?
Honestly Max, I would go the same routine with your new engine as I did with mine. I ran dinosaur oil, changed it every 3K miles and ran it for about 15,000 miles. After I hit 15K I went to Amsoil 0W-30 Synthetic. Right now I'm running a Mobil1 Hi-Mileage synthetic oil. Hi mileage ??? Pretty soon the type of oil I'm going to be running is going to called "Jerry and the Atrics!" I'm getting long in the tooth mileage wise but she's still running like a top and I don't baby this thing.

Now since I came screaming down Sam's Gap in North Carolina and incinerated a plug wire I have been adhering to the maximum safe speed that is posted on these grades and I will adhere to those recommendations. For trucks it's something like 45 MPH and I don't have a problem with that because I can do that all day long and only tach over about 4K and hold it there.

You know my UP Grade Brake has become an essential component of how my motorhome runs. So equipped, my vehicle will automatically up-shift and downshift on any road condition and allow me to remain in complete control of my vehicle speed without much interaction from my service brakes. I don't think that anyone here would subscribe to manually shifting from 1st gear up through the quadrant until you got into direct and then manually downshift to 1st and repeating the process.

A TGB or AUGB automates the process and its always in my opinion in the right gear for the conditions.

Now did you know that a GMGB has been developed by Brazels? You were speaking about that at some point and that has either come to pass or is imminent in its release.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:20 AM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, I think of you as a friend, we just gotta get each other fired up sometimes. I realize there must be a demand for a GB but I feel I can shift just as good or better, and it gives me something to do

Now I have to go put some sand on the icy roads
Old 01-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You just caught me off guard with the oil consumption question. I guess I'm still a little gun shy. The new engine seems to run great; the scary part is that my other one did too.
I know it is a total coincidence but the last oil change before the engine blew was the first time I had used "synthetic" labeled oil. The oil had like 2950 miles on it.
I'm gonna look for some of that Geritoil for me , not the MH. Is it synthetic or is it the real deal?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #33
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I know it is a total coincidence but the last oil change before the engine blew was the first time I had used "synthetic" labeled oil. The oil had like 2950 miles on it.
OK .... What brand of oil did you use? Was it a Mobil1, generic syn or a blend?

What do you think about staying with dinosaur oil for the time being? I'd change that original fill oil and filter as soon as I could. Never mind waiting for 3,000 miles.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
OK .... What brand of oil did you use? Was it a Mobil1, generic syn or a blend?

What do you think about staying with dinosaur oil for the time being? I'd change that original fill oil and filter as soon as I could. Never mind waiting for 3,000 miles.
You do know it did not appear to be and there was no mention from any one that this was a oil related failure, right? My ESP dug pretty deep to try to find any reason to deny my claim.
It was Super Tech 10W30 Synthetic.

I will stick with genuine oil, I'm not convinced that the man made synthetic oils are any better.
I know on new race motorcycles , they recommend changing the oil after an hour or so of operation. I have not seen that on new car or truck engines maintenance schedule. Now you guilted me into spending Sat morning changing oil on the MH. At what mileage did you and others change your MH oil for the first time when it was new?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #35
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Now you guilted me into spending Sat morning changing oil on the MH. At what mileage did you and others change your MH oil for the first time when it was new?
Max, We're not talking about everybody else we're talking about "you" and your brand new engine. What's it gonna cost? I'm sure it'll be worth it. Just git er done!

I know that the oil wasn't the problem it would seem from the investigation that your ESP carrier accomplished. As for me personally, I have used NAPA brand oil but right on the back of the bottle is says made by Ashland Co. Read Quaker State. I'm into a Mobil1 Extended Mileage oil right now and I'll probably stay with that for the rest of my ownership. I can get this oil at Wally's for a good price but all those types of oils are more money that the Super Tech types. I still went to NAPA and bought a 1080 Gold unless I could buy a WIX.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok Dad, I went out and spent $100 for new, oil, air,and fuel filters and 8 qts of Havoline 10W30. I think Napa is a little high even with a so called C DOT discount.
$13.78 for the 1794 2 qt oil filter
$29.69 for 6316 air filter
$14.77 3481 fuel filter
I hope the Havoline oil is OK
All my life I've seen construction companies and now C DOT using 15W40 Rotella type oil in every thing they own including their gas 1/2 T to 1T pick up trucks. We have one now with the 454 engine and it has 187,000 miles on it and it runs like new, except for the throw out bearing sounds disgusting.

Oh yea, I wish Dale would put the cross reference oil filter #s for the 5500 Onan Generator on his site. I imagine most WH chassis have that genny. Napa could'nt cross it without the Onan #, even though I know they have it.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #37
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Ok Dad, I went out and spent $100 for new, oil, air,and fuel filters and 8 qts of Havoline 10W30. I think Napa is a little high even with a so called C DOT discount.
OK, Don't assume that I'm busting them on you but living where you do, I would have chosen 5W-30 motor oil. Just so that you know 10W-30 is good all the way down to 0° F.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I gotter done, oil & 2 qt oil filter, fuel fltr, air fltr grease all 50 or so zerks ( HF cordless grease gun came in handy here and worked great), oil and oil,air and fuel fltr on Onan gen. Added 2 trampoline springs on each rear jack, now they come up good. 2 new 6 Volt Energizer EGC2 golf cart Batteries from Sams Club and put 57 gal. of gas in the MH @ $2.69 gal before it goes way higher. BTW, I did find one 5W30 qt mixed in with my 8 qts of oil; I probably have 9.5W30 in it now
I'm all dressed up and no where to go.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #39
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I'm all dressed up and no where to go.
You'll be on the road in no time at all!