RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #1

I just (month ago) purchased a new 2007 FW southwind w20 Workhorse chassis coach.
It came with steel wheels, argued with dealer about this, gave me some song and dance about why it did not have them, then saw same coach with alcoas but it was a ford chassis.
Another forum they mentioned workhorse specs the wheels and this was not the dealer or fleetwoods deal-so I just got over it.
But I drove by dealer today, saw the same 32' coach as mine, workhorse chassis, with alcoa wheels.
I am basically crying over spilled milk as there is nothing I can do now, but what is the deal with rims, is it actually WH that specs the wheels?
I just want to know who I can be bitter with since I wanted alcoa rims hahaha (kidding)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #2

I just (month ago) purchased a new 2007 FW southwind w20 Workhorse chassis coach.
It came with steel wheels, argued with dealer about this, gave me some song and dance about why it did not have them, then saw same coach with alcoas but it was a ford chassis.
Another forum they mentioned workhorse specs the wheels and this was not the dealer or fleetwoods deal-so I just got over it.
But I drove by dealer today, saw the same 32' coach as mine, workhorse chassis, with alcoa wheels.
I am basically crying over spilled milk as there is nothing I can do now, but what is the deal with rims, is it actually WH that specs the wheels?
I just want to know who I can be bitter with since I wanted alcoa rims hahaha (kidding)

Old 05-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig G:
.... but what is the deal with rims, is it actually WH that specs the wheels? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have seen the assembly station where the Alcoa wheels are installed on the incomplete chassis. In order for WCC to install Alcoa wheels on a chassis the OEM "must" order the wheels. This is not a discretionary call on the part of WCC.

The Alcoa wheels that I saw on the line were 22.5" units. I am not certain at all if WCC installs 19.5" wheels at the plant. I have never seen a stock W20 with Alcoa wheels.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:11 PM   #4

They are 22.5" steel wheels.
Fleetwood jacked me, argh
Old 05-21-2007, 05:21 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Craig,

I believe that Workhorse installed the 22.5" Alcoa wheels standard on the W-22 & W-24 chassis only for '06 & '07.

Ed
Old 05-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #6

That is what I thought, so one would assume the same coach I saw as mine, was a w22....but they (fleetwood) dont make a w20 in a 32'.

Its all not really important, like I said, a non issue at this point, but was just curious.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:29 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig G:
They are 22.5" steel wheels. Fleetwood jacked me, argh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you have 22.5" wheels then you indeed have a W22. In the recent past Southwinds were mostly on W20s and Pace Arrows were all on W22s. W20s come w/ 19.5' and W22s come with 22.5s. I haven't seen where either the Pace out the Southwind came standard with Alcoa wheels on the Workhorse chassis unless Fleetwood ordered them at the time of the build.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:49 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like steel wheels with simulators better

However that said, Workhorse puts on what the order tells them to, if it says Alcoa, you get Alcoa, 2x the price and not as good looking, but you get Alcoa
Old 05-22-2007, 07:23 AM   #9

I'm not sure about the W20 & W22, but the Alcoa wheels are an option on the Workhorse spec sheet.

Go to Workhorse.com, click on your chassis and look at the specs, it will have an S or an O.

We currently have the 2nd set of wheel liners and the rears still wobble---it looks like the wheel is falling off. i wanted Aluminum wheels on our new rig, but the Tiffin doesn't offer them on a Bay. So it's another aftermarket thingy to buy--

hth, ron
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:44 AM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rondi:
I'm not sure about the W20 & W22, but the Alcoa wheels are an option on the Workhorse spec sheet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ron, Yes they are. The funny thing is that an end user can't buy them directly at the time of the build. They have to be ordered by the OEM.

The values are included for information only in the brochure and are shown so that WCC can demonstrate that they are a custom chassis company. Alcoa wheels are available and can be ordered and installed at the time of the build.

This is pretty much along the lines of getting a W22 with the 15,000 GAWRR and the 8500 GAWRF axles. Winnebago goes with the uprated axles while others go with the 14,500 GAWRR and the 8000 GAWRF.

Other manufactures can buy the 18" leather wrapped wheel while others get the 18" vinyl wheel.

What ever is on the chassis that will make it less expensive for OEMs to buy that's basically what they are going to order. These times are challenging regarding motorhome sales. Price is everything.

Other products such as the SSC are also available however I have only seen it installed on a Coachmen motorhome this past January in Tampa at the SuperShow.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:17 PM   #11

I just want to know who I can be bitter with since I wanted alcoa rims hahaha (kidding) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe once you get to the point of needing a four tire change, you could change out the wheels too. I've seen them listed on Camping World Dot Com!
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:30 AM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34.5A:
Maybe once you get to the point of needing a four tire change, you could change out the wheels too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Note to self: If you're thinking about changing 4 tires - change 6.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:20 AM   #13

I bought a 2007 Bounder 35E in November at the Hershey, PA show. The Ford chasis came with Alcoa wheels. There was an additional charge for both the Workhorse chassis and the Alcoa wheels on the Workhorse chassis. I was able to negotiate both at no additional cost. It helped that a Fleetwood Rep. was there.
dickfrompasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:35 AM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dickfrompasadena:
I was able to negotiate both at no additional cost. It helped that a Fleetwood Rep. was there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Now that's some negotiation!