RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2018, 06:12 PM   #1

Workhorse UFO alerts and noises and alarms

Hi,

Last week my UFO generated a ABS malfunction alert after the starting battery was changed. The brakes had just been checked by a truck shop last week.

This was resolved by UFO pilots advice of disconnecting the battery for a while via the physical disconnect.

Today a Hydraulic alert was generated but did not see the whole alert. I drove for 30 and on restating developed a brake system fail alert appeared. I disconnected the battery for 15 mins and alert reappeared. I have disconnected again and will check it tomorrow.

At times I notice a hissing sound from under the front of the coach. Could this be a power steering pump? Is it I only hear it as the engine is in the back.

Also heard a beeping sound after driving over a badly potholed part of our storage acceas road. I am thinking this is the jack controller.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2018, 08:46 PM   #2

The UFO's need the brake fluid flushed completely every two years. If yours was sitting the valves in the HCU could be sticking causing the ABS alarms.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:58 PM   #3

Thanks Old Skool,

I had planned to get it done in two weeks time when they do the shocks and stabilizer.

I have a 300 mile round trip in a week, am I ok to wait until I get back to do it or should I ask my truck place to do it before then?
Old 05-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #4

I think all road trips are 40% planned and a 60% gamble which equals a 100% Adventure! There is a way to exercise some of the valves in the HCU that might help. With the engine off and the battery disconnected, pump the foot brake 30 times, this will empty the HCU (Depressurize) and put the brake fluid bake into the reservoir. Start the engine and let the HCU fill back up, the beeping will stop when the HCU is full. I would do this 2 or 3 times, it might help. You need to read up on the SAHR eBrake, learn how to release it and reinstall it. Sometimes it will lock the rear wheels and you can't move, but if you release it and reinstall the HCU operates correctly again. Here's a video I did on installing an HCU, go to the 3 minute mark and you will see me release the SAHR.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:27 PM   #5

Thanks Old Skool,

I will call my truck place tomorrow and see can they do the brakes before I go.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #6

Hi Old Skool,

I called my usual truck place and explained the symptoms to the service manager. I have a great relationship with him and trust him 100%

I have a 400 mile round trip next week and they said they cannot fit me in before then as they have man down and are swamped.

I am already booked in about 10 days to get the shocks and steering stabilizer fitted. The service manager said if the ABS light did not come on I am ok to drive but he cautioned me to drive cautiously and leave a lot of space with the vehicle in front, I always drive like this in a MH anyway.

What do you think of this?

Just as a side note I had mentioned about draining the brake fluid to the selling dealership but as their local truck place did not find any issue at the time they would not pay to drain it. I could try to go after them to pay for it but I am thinking its best to get my place to do it and then know its done right
Old 05-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #7

I started the coach and this time its a hydrualic brake message.

I will have the brake fluid done in 10 days.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #8

I paid $300 to have my brake fluid changed 5 32oz bottles, 8 months latter all the alarms went off and the SAHR eBrake locked when I shut the engine off. You can read about my write-up her: I Removed/installed a NEW HCU (UFO/R26)

I would still do the depressurizing/re-pressurizing trick I described above.
1. Go to the battery Box area and turn the Round Battery Knob to Off
2. Pump the brake peddle 30 time's, this will empty the HCU
3. Go to the battery box and turn the Knob back to ON
4. Start the engine and wait for the Alarms to go off
5. Shut engine off
6. Repeat 1-5
7. Do this 3 Times

I'm not saying this will help but, I did this with my old HCU and it cleared the alarms. I think its because its pushing the valves IN and OUT helping to free the valves or pushing the dirt to a different area. When my SAHR locked the rear brakes, I blocked the wheels and removed the SAHR. The SAHR is pressurized with brake fluid and when it released, it shook the RV. When the SAHR (Spring Applied Hydraulic Released) released the brake fluid was forced at a high speed back into the HCU freeing the stuck valves. I reinstalled the SAHR cable and everything worked great. I did install a New HCU latter and I keep the old HCU as a spare.

Bottom Line: I'f your on the road and the SAHR locks the rear wheels, release the SAHR and re-install it, you might make it home. PM me and I'll give you my phone number.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #9

Thanks Old Skool,

I will try this tomorrow.

I am definitley not competent to go messing with the HCU myself. I will drop you a pm in the morning for your phone number :-)
Old 05-18-2018, 09:19 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I get the hydraulic failure message quite often. I have always cleared it by stepping on and off the brake pedal until it clears. So far it has always worked.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #11

Thanks UFO Pilot,

I will try that.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #12

So is the hissing a power steering pump?
Old 05-20-2018, 08:38 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Read this thread UFO Workhorse noise up front by driver.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #14

Thanks, will do.

Tags
noise, ufo, workhorse