Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #1

Workhorse UFO ride and handling

Hi,

Just drove my new to me 2008 Itasca Latitude home.

The drive went very well, at 60mph Scan gauge showed an average of 8.5mpg.

The wheel pulled slightly to the right but an alignment when loaded up with my gear will sort that out.

I did notice a bit of bouncing at times on dips, this could be to do that the tire pressure is set to 100psi and the coach was empty except for a full tank of gas.

It took me a few goes to get it in the storage bay as it turns completely differently to my F53.

I was passed by 5-6 semis and a double trailer and did not feel them at all.

I do plan to fit a steering stabilizer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #2

I installed front Sumo Springs to stop the bounce. I had to make my own mount for them to sit on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sumo Springs front.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	202741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sumo Installed.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	202742  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sumo Spring Mount.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	202743  
Old 05-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Koni shocks will help stop the bouncing. The harsh ride can be helped by running the correct air pressure if it is too high. Mine has always gone straight down the road.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:35 AM   #4

Morning both,

I have heard great things about both types of shocks.

It could have been the road crown as well. Michigan is not known for having great road surfaces, some of the road surfaces are abysmal.

As mentioned in my other thread I could only get TPMS sensors on the back and not the front, hopefully can get that resolved before my shake down trip.

I do not have access to 4 corner weighing but will ask a local grain elevator can I do it.

I then need to figure out what PSI to run the tires.

Oh, last but not least is a steering stabilizer. I have been offered a half price True center but its 10 years old and never used. I called Blue Ox and they said its the same as the current model.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #5

Once I get the coach loaded and proper air pressure will see if I need new shocks.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All of the UFO Chassis had a problem with "porpoising" or "rebounding", you hit a bump and the RV goes up and down a few times. Koni's fix the problem.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #7

Thanks,

Mine definitley bounced on the way home, how can I check what shocks are installed?

Which model should I order?
Old 05-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My factory Bilstien's were yellow. The Koni's are gold, mine are FSD's. They are pricey, I paid $800 installed in 2010.
https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Koni-Shocks/Workhorse

Old 05-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #9

I just ordered them from Brazels, that and the Safety Plus Blue was 1273$. Labour will cost me sbout 300-400$ I am happy with that.

Koni FSD in the rear and Evo 99 in the front.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good friend had UFO chassis. Went through 3 engines in one year. Cooling system problems etc. Thats why they are no longer manufactured.
Hop you get an after market policy.[emoji15]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #11

Hi Russ,

I did not get an aftermarket policy.

How long ago was this and what year was the coach?

You are making me second guess my decision not to get a warranty.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:25 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
Good friend had UFO chassis. Went through 3 engines in one year. Cooling system problems etc. Thats why they are no longer manufactured.
Hop you get an after market policy.[emoji15]
Hmmmm, I would think that if one has a cooling problem, one would be alert to gauges on the dash, therefore, when the engine is getting hot, shut it down before it has further problems.

Sorry your friend has bad luck with 3 engines, hmmm sounds like there may be more to the story.

When the UFO chassis came out there was a problem with the water pump shaft but there was a new design of the water pump to correct this.

Your remark as to the UFO chassis not being built anymore due to overheating is totally false.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
John abd Joan. Purchased it use in 2013 used. Looked absolutely brand new already had new engine at that time. First engine went on first trip out west took 1 week to get it replaced. Second engine cracked block abd true rod etc same overheat problems. Traded it in for diesel pusher (brand new Tiffin RED).,Could not take any more problems. First replacement covered by Lazy Days under warranty.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
John abd Joan. Purchased it use in 2013 used. Looked absolutely brand new already had new engine at that time. First engine went on first trip out west took 1 week to get it replaced. Second engine cracked block abd true rod etc same overheat problems. Traded it in for diesel pusher (brand new Tiffin RED).,Could not take any more problems. First replacement covered by Lazy Days under warranty.
Was also I believe 2008 ir 9.

Tags
ufo, workhorse