Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
KJD

Workhorse vs GM

Does anyone know if a Workhorse part will interchange with a General Motor part? I need a new a/c compressor and one from Workhorse is 455.60. But if I go to General Motor and ask for a a/c compressor for a 2005 GMC with the 8.1 L motor their cost is 224.78.... Just curious if they will interchange....Thanks ....KJD
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2017, 06:04 PM   #2

This company may have a compatible part https://www.millsupply.com/pdf/stepvan/gm.pdf
Old 01-30-2017, 07:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From Oemy's site: http://www.oemys-performance.com/whparts2.htm#hvac

Part # Description Supplier
W8001369 A/C Compressor OEM
15067135 A/C Compressor Delphi
15-21177 A/C Compressor AC Delco
15-20747 A/C Compressor AC Delco/Denso
15-22124A A/C Compressor AC Delco
89019224 A/C Compressor GM
271569 A/C Compressor CarQuest
88950 A/C Compressor 4 Season's Auto Parts
88950 A/C Compressor Checker/Orielly's
DAC CSS0121 A/C Compressor Napa
NCC 3620151 A/C Compressor Napa
251281 A/C Compressor Napa
620447 A/C Compressor Autozone
620151 A/C Compressor Compressor Works

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:11 PM   #4

I am sure they will just find part number on old compressor and do a search
Old 01-30-2017, 07:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
AC Compressor

I bought one from Napa using Oemy's cross reference and it works great.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD View Post
Does anyone know if a Workhorse part will interchange with a General Motor part? I need a new a/c compressor and one from Workhorse is 455.60. But if I go to General Motor and ask for a a/c compressor for a 2005 GMC with the 8.1 L motor their cost is 224.78.... Just curious if they will interchange....Thanks ....KJD
If it's a W22 chassis and the A/C compressor is intact and the clutch is working (disengaged), forget replacing it, but remove the 10A A/C fuse. It is really not a cost effective repair in that you can run your house A/C, which puts no load on the engine and cools better, while on the road.

Consider doing the following:

1. Remove the 10A A/C fuse ($0.00)
2. Get a Dayco 89012 Tensioner & Idler Pulley ($21.00 Amazon)
3. Get a Dayco 5060955 Serpentine Belt ($28.50 Amazon)
4. Leave the A/C compressor in place since it is a lot of work to remove.
5. Replace the smooth idler pulley with a Dayco 89012 ribbed pulley. Using the 89012 grooved pulley the belt is routed OVER the pulley instead of UNDER.

See Oemy's UltraPower Performance
geofferyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:06 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok, take the part number off your current compressor. yes, it is there some where. GM dealers should be able to figure out which compressor you have from your vin number. Write down the numbers that they give you that will fit it, then try napa and other suppliers...... But..... then there are those "Friday build" chassis.... and it may have been replaced already, so get the part # from the unit, take some pix so you have them when you go to the store to buy it. Compressor prices are based on how far they think they can get you to bend over!!! If you need to change the pulley try a local alternator shop..

since you are changing compressors have you thought about changing coolants? I've been using this new one in mine for the last 4 years with incredible success..... it works better than the original. Make sure you measure the oil you take from the old compressor and replace it with the same kind.

Industrial R134a Replacement Refrigerant 6 ounce Can Equivalent 16 oz 134a Details and Online Ordering at Enviro-Safe, Inc

This stuff will lower you ac air output temp by at least 10degrees. My gasser coach has 135k on it now.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:26 AM   #8
KJD

[QUOTE=geofferyh;3439591]If it's a W22 chassis and the A/C compressor is intact and the clutch is working (disengaged), forget replacing it, but remove the 10A A/C fuse. It is really not a cost effective repair in that you can run your house A/C, which puts no load on the engine and cools better, while on the road.

5. Replace the smooth idler pulley with a Dayco 89012 ribbed pulley. Using the 89012 grooved pulley the belt is routed OVER the pulley instead of UNDER.

See there lies my problem.. The compressor with the a/c off makes all kinds of squealing and grinding noise when not engaged. With the a/c on it is as quite as a church mouse. Also with it on the temp out of the vents are blowing 38 deg. air so it is cooling properly in my opinion. It is just really loud with is off... Not sure if I could just replace the clutch on the a/c haven't found anyone who has done just that on a motorhome....Thanks..KJD
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=KJD;3440966]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofferyh View Post
If it's a W22 chassis and the A/C compressor is intact and the clutch is working (disengaged), forget replacing it, but remove the 10A A/C fuse. It is really not a cost effective repair in that you can run your house A/C, which puts no load on the engine and cools better, while on the road.

See there lies my problem.. The compressor with the a/c off makes all kinds of squealing and grinding noise when not engaged. With the a/c on it is as quite as a church mouse. Also with it on the temp out of the vents are blowing 38 deg. air so it is cooling properly in my opinion. It is just really loud with is off... Not sure if I could just replace the clutch on the a/c haven't found anyone who has done just that on a motorhome....Thanks..KJD

Yes, you can replace just the clutch, but it will take some special tools, if you don't mind renting or buying them. Assuming you have used a stethoscope to listen to it, I'd agree with you, sounds like the fan clutch spring has become weak and needs to be replaced. That said, one time I did replace the fan clutch and it turned out to be the main bearing, when turned on, the clutch pulled on the bearing and stopped the sound. Have you looked at it to see if any of the springs arms are broken? I've never had any luck pulling the clutch retaining nut with the compressor on the vehicle but who knows you might be able to do it. Workhorse generally uses all chevy components on their engines and drive lines. When it comes to the frame member stuff that is when it gets a bit "hit and miss" on the parts thing.

AZ has some tools and clutch replacements, trick is to identify your compressor. They like to use the vehicle application side rather than the part ID to match up parts. Depending on how much room you have, you may be able to do this on the vehicle with out discharging the system.

look at this video to give you an idea what is needed.

yes, I know the vid is for a ford, but they are all pretty much same.

Now, getting to it in a moho is a real PIA! good luck!

Tags
workhorse