RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2019, 02:45 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Workhorse W20 wheelbase

I have a Forest River Georgetown model 326DWS motorhome on a Workhorse W20 chassis. Forest River Specifies a 218" wheelbase for the 326DSW Georgetown model.

Here is my confusion. I can find NO reference to Workhorse ever making a W series chassis with a 218" wheelbase. All references I can find refer to the 20,700 lb W20 package being available with 190, 208 and 228 inch wheelbases. This is the only model that Georgetown specifies a 218" wheelbase. All others have one of the wheelbases mentioned above.

I have measured my wheelbase. It is 218" as stated by Forest River. Did Workhorse make a 218" wheelbase? Did Forest River modify the wheelbase? If Forest River modified the wheelbase, why?

Before anyone asks the question, yes, I know what wheelbase means and how to measure it! I've been a gear head for 60 years and have modified many cars including modifying the wheelbase.

yeloduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 02:47 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Stretched framed?

Old 12-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #3

I have seen some manufacturers who modify the wheelbase but donít know if thatís what happened to yours.

Were all three wheelbases a available in your model year? That might help answer the question.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
i know they made a w20 208 in 33 ft, w20 228 in 35 f,t w22/w24 248 in 38 ft 39 ft and w24 266 in 39 ft (38t model)
Old 12-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I have seen some manufacturers who modify the wheelbase but donít know if thatís what happened to yours.

Were all three wheelbases a available in your model year? That might help answer the question.
See the attachment from the Workhorse Custom Chassis, Chassis Guide. This table shows the various GVW ratings and the wheelbases that were available for each rating. Note that no 218" wheelbase is listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy
i know they made a w20 208 in 33 ft, w20 228 in 35 f,t w22/w24 248 in 38 ft 39 ft and w24 266 in 39 ft (38t model)
Workhorse did not specify what length a motorhome manufacturer should use for any given motorhome length. You will find 34' motorhomes on 208" chassis and possibly 30' motorhomes on 228" chassis.

The W24 was not introduced until 2004 and is not relative to my question.

Thanks for your responses
Old 12-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #6

Wheelbases are modified all the time.

MORryde is one place that does it for the motorhome manufacturers.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
See the attachment from the Workhorse Custom Chassis, Chassis Guide. This table shows the various GVW ratings and the wheelbases that were available for each rating. Note that no 218" wheelbase is listed...Ö.

Thanks for your responses
That is correct. "Most" coach builders ordered chassis from WCC in the standard WB lengths you mentioned. When their coach design called for an "odd" WB, they would typically cut a shorter WB chassis and splice in an extension. Not likely they would use a longer WB chassis and shorten it, simply because they cost more. If you will provide me with the last 8 digits of the chassis vin #, I can determine what your chassis WB was when it drove off the assembly line.
FWIW, I had a 2009 W-24 that WCC built at 228", and WBGO spliced it to make it into a 248" WB under their 37F floor plan. Yes, they could have used a 242" chassis and only added 6", but those cost more than the 208" and cutting to add even 1 inch costs the same no matter how much you add.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
That is correct. "Most" coach builders ordered chassis from WCC in the standard WB lengths you mentioned. When their coach design called for an "odd" WB, they would typically cut a shorter WB chassis and splice in an extension. Not likely they would use a longer WB chassis and shorten it, simply because they cost more. If you will provide me with the last 8 digits of the chassis vin #, I can determine what your chassis WB was when it drove off the assembly line.
FWIW, I had a 2009 W-24 that WCC built at 228", and WBGO spliced it to make it into a 248" WB under their 37F floor plan. Yes, they could have used a 242" chassis and only added 6", but those cost more than the 208" and cutting to add even 1 inch costs the same no matter how much you add.
The last 8 digits of my VIN are:

Thanks
Old 12-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
The last 8 digits of my VIN are:

Thanks
That chassis left WCC with a 228" WB. Looks like Forest River made me wrong about them using a shorter chassis and adding, since yours was apparently shortened.

The good news is that all 3 recalls on yours were completed.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
That chassis left WCC with a 228" WB. Looks like Forest River made me wrong about them using a shorter chassis and adding, since yours was apparently shortened.

The good news is that all 3 recalls on yours were completed.
Thanks Ed,

Verrrry intrreresting...as the dirty old man from Saturday Night Live would say!

Seems weird. You would think they would design the motorhome to fit the chassis. Possibly Ford made a 218" wheelbase during that time frame and Forest River wanted to offer both chassis. I do notice from the 2004 Brochure (I can't find a 2003) that my model 326DS is offered on both Ford and Workhorse chassis and both are spec'ed at 218" wheelbase.

I've ascertained that there is VERY little difference between the W20 and the W22. In fact the VIN number for my chassis indicates that it is a W22 but the load rating GVWR posted in the motorhome is 20700 lbs Indicating a W20. The part numbers for springs, brakes, shocks and bump stops are the same for W20 and W22. I suspect the only difference in the GVWR may be the load rating on the tires that the chassis left the factory with.

I also have good news relative to the handling of this motorhome. Either I am insensitive or my motorhome doesn't not suffer as much from the tail wagging, side swaying and bump bottoming out that many others experience. I suspect my motorhome is just lighter than the motorhomes that are mounted on the chassis rated at 22000 lbs.

Thanks again.

PS: Just completed a front brake job. It seems that my front brake pads did not wear well. Possibly the previous owner didn't know how to drive down Colorado mountains!

Tags
workhorse