Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #1

Workhorse W22 Dash LED Display

I have a 2005 PACE 37C on a Workhorse W22 Chassis, low mileage (less than 10,000) but it's hard to tell! The LED Display on the dash that used to show shifter display, trip computer data, mileage, odometer, etc. has gone essentially (but not completely) blank. Only a scattered few pixels are lit, and no data is readable. There are a couple of 5A fuses on the interior fuse block marked "dash Display" but they are both good. The other, analog, gauges work fine, just the LED display has issues.
Short of finding a Workhorse Service Center that will actually talk to me is there a way of rebooting the display or something, or is it just broke? I hate to try to rip out the dash or pay for a new dash cluster if its something simple.
Thanks in advance from a newbie!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check with Workhorse they might fix it free. Had a friend with a 06 Cruise master that did the same thing about 4 months ago and they fix it at no charge to him. This is a problem there having.

Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:26 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnpORB View Post
I have a 2005 PACE 37C on a Workhorse W22 Chassis, low mileage (less than 10,000) but it's hard to tell! The LED Display on the dash that used to show shifter display, trip computer data, mileage, odometer, etc. has gone essentially (but not completely) blank. Only a scattered few pixels are lit, and no data is readable............the other, analog, gauges work fine, just the LED display has issues..... is there a way of rebooting the display or something, or is it just broke? I hate to try to rip out the dash or pay for a new dash cluster if its something simple.
Thanks in advance from a newbie!
JohnpORB: WELCOME to irv2.com You've come to the best resource for all things RV...and I hope you come down to the WORKHORSE forum below to learn more about your chassis related issues. You can search that forum and find lots of threads, like this one:
W22 dead dash cluster which address your concern. Follow the link in post #3 by 007 to another thread with more details.

What you have described is classic "pixel failure" of the LCD portion of the Actia IP cluster used by WCC. The bad news is that you probably won't get any "help" from WCC as you are long out of warranty, I presume. Actia is VERY aware of this problem and many have been replaced. Your cost may vary, but I suggest you follow the advice in the thread I linked above to get yours replaced. The "new" ones are much better, easier to read black letters on orange background, and "most" seem to be permanent solution to the failed units originally supplied to WCC by Actia.

Again, WELCOME!
Ed
Old 08-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
There was a recall on dash cluster. free repair but must leave rv with dealer.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The IP cluster recall ( Saftey Campaign # 50402-C ) was issued in December 2004 to address a problem with "incorrect software" which might not illuminate the ABS warning lamp.

The last six digits of the chassis vin that were covered by the recall are:

Model year 2003....Vins ending in 354720 to 376627....14,692 units
Model Year 2004....Vins ending in 376625 to 394550....15,649 units

The "fix" was to "reflash" or re-program the software so the idiot lamp would come on, if a problem was detected. Only those dealers who did not have the ability to do the "reflash" using a laptop computer had to remove and return the cluster to Actia for re-programming.

The recall had nothing to do with "pixel failure" in the LCD, and AFAIK, there has been no recall for that problem. Unfortunately, if you are out-of-warranty, you need to deal directly with Actia to get a replacement cluster. The LCD alone is not available, it is an integral part of the entire IP cluster.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As edgray said the recall had nothing to do with the display failure issue many of us have had.

However it might be worth checking to see if the recall was done or not. If it hasn't been done you could send it in for that. What they did in the past was send out another new or rebuilt unit and rebuild/reflash the one returned for the recall at a later date.

You might be able to get a good unit for free that way.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm on my third Actia display.

This one does a reset intermittently, however I'm not having them replace it because I'd just get a rebuilt one that Lord knows what is wrong with it.

Better the devil you know than don't know.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
There is a recall on the LED cluster and they will replace it free of charge. I know because I had one replaced,
Old 08-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
edgray,
You are right. Just went back and checked my records. Rv was under warranty. My vin# falls out side the ones you posted. 05 Intruder dash display was out. Got lucky I guess.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by micki49 View Post
There is a recall on the LED cluster and they will replace it free of charge. I know because I had one replaced,
Please provide the recall # and "who" issued it, along with details about how the recall was completed. I'm sure MANY of our members will want to take advantage of that info. THANKS.
Ed
Old 08-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Please provide the recall # and "who" issued it, along with details about how the recall was completed. I'm sure MANY of our members will want to take advantage of that info. THANKS.
Ed
Ditto.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess if WH told Actia to replace these defective IP clusters for free, for their customers, or they would find another vendor for their new MHs, Actia would think that was funny.
Does any one know of any other vehicle that uses Actia for a federally mandated odometer?
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FYI

Actia Workhorse Cluster on EBAY.
Actia W0008041 Workhorse Instrument Cluster | eBay

http://travelinthomas.blogspot.com/
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
FYI

Actia Workhorse Cluster on EBAY.
Actia W0008041 Workhorse Instrument Cluster | eBay
Question: Who's going to spin up the mileage?

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, workhorse