RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Workhorse W22 - Need part number for bottom front shock

Hi everyone!

It seems I've hit the same problem that others have changing out the front shocks on my 2004 Damon Cahllenger with a Workhorse W22 chassis:

RE: Shock bolt alert - updated

RE: Shock bolt alert - updated

I just got this rig in July. It only has 15,000 miles on it and the shocks are/were the original. The drives side came off with no problem, but the bottom bolt on the passenger side wont budge! Looks like I'm going to have to cut it off.

I've been Googling, but can't seem to find the bolt and nut. Does anyone have the part number for bottom front shock bolt and nut?

Thanks!

zog

US Army veteran, USAF disabled veteran, (yes, I served in both branches).
zogthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 08:39 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might want to try heating it with a torch first.

speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #3

I replaced the shocks on my '06 Voyage this spring and had the same problem you are having.

On my chassis, the lower bolt goes thru the shock and then passes thru a "feature" on the spring. I was able to get the nut off but I could not spin the bolt.

I tried many cycles of heat followed by quenching it with water. 24 hours of various penetrating oils. Beating the end of the bolt with an air hammer. And all of that followed with many cycles of my air impact wrench. The bolt would not spin.

After a little research, I bought a battery powered Milwaukee 2763-22 1/2" Impact Wrench. This beast broke that bolt free in seconds.

I replaced the bolt and nut with a grade 8 bolt from my local Fleet Farm store.
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi speed racer,

I tried heating the bolt until it was cherry red, then hit it with an impact gun, no joy! I also tried using a breaker bar with a cheater bar on it, nearly snapped the breaker bar!

I'm going to call Workhorse tomorrow. If I get the part numbers, I'll post them up in case anyone else has the same problem, (seems to be a comon problem with these bolts).

Old 10-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
JoeSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSR View Post
I replaced the bolt and nut with a grade 8 bolt from my local Fleet Farm store.
Do you have the specs on the replacement nut an bolt that you used? I forgot to measure the other day and my rig is about half hour out of town.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #6

Zog,

I used a 8" x 3/4" Grade 8 bolt with a lock washer and Loctite. None of that silly metric stuff. My bolt was a courser threaded bolt than the factory because this is what was available. I do not know the tpi.

99.9% sure that grade 8 is what was from the factory. The factory bolt was also 8" x 3/4".
Old 10-04-2015, 11:24 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Zog,

Do they look like this? I bought these from RedLands for our W20 when I thought I was going to have the same issue as you are seeing.

They are pricey little devils. Looks like I'm not going to need them. If you cover shipping, I will send them off to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	108832  
Old 10-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Zog,

I used a 8" x 3/4" Grade 8 bolt with a lock washer and Loctite. None of that silly metric stuff. My bolt was a courser threaded bolt than the factory because this is what was available. I do not know the tpi.

99.9% sure that grade 8 is what was from the factory. The factory bolt was also 8" x 3/4".
The bolt head is 3/4" or 19 mm. The bolt would be 1/2" or 13 mm. If it is metric there should be markings on the head such as 8.8 or 10.5. 13 mm is actually slightly larger than 1/2". Close but you will end up with a rattle if the bolt isn't the proper size.
Lynn
Old 10-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #9

Lynn,

I don't know who you are trying to confuse.

The bolt that I replaced was 3/4" in diameter. It was 8" long. It was a grade 8 bolt (6 tick marks on the head with no metric designations). It was not a metric fastener. It was not 1/2" or 13mm in diameter.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Lynn,

I don't know who you are trying to confuse.

The bolt that I replaced was 3/4" in diameter. It was 8" long. It was a grade 8 bolt (6 tick marks on the head with no metric designations). It was not a metric fastener. It was not 1/2" or 13mm in diameter.
Not trying to confuse anyone. Those bolts pictured on here didn't look that large.
I stand corrected.
Lynn
Old 10-08-2015, 04:19 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yeah, I should have set a tape measure next to the bolts. They are just as described in this thread.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:55 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry it has taken me so long to update, here's what I got.

The actual Workhorse parts are:

Upper front shock bolt - W9000810 - 3/4-16x5.5
Lower front shock bolt - W0000445 - 3/4-16x8.5
Nut - W000443 - Nut-hex Hd 3/4-16 Unf

Here is a picture of the original bolts and the replacement grade 8 bolts that I bought at Tractor Supply:

The replacement bolts are 3/4 - 16x6 for the upper mount and 3/4 - 16x8 for the lower mount. They didn't have any self-locking nuts, so I used a matching 3/4" nut and red Loctite.

My original upper bolt was fine, but I switched it anyway. It will, (hopefully), save me from having any problems if I need to pull the shock on the passenger side again for some reason.

The lower mount looks great but the upper mounting bolt stick out about 1/2" farther than the original. I might trim it down when I get to Florida.

I had bought some other grade 8 bolts when I got these. Tractor supply charges by the pound for these so I'm not sure how much the replacement bolts cost, I think about $10.00 USD.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I am greatful for all the information you supplied on this post. Its all that I was looking for. Thanks. Hope you are still RVing.

Frogman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
workhorse