Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2013, 05:28 AM   #1

Workhorse W22 radiator fan

I knew nothing about this problem of the shroud contacting the fan until yesterday afternoon near Amarillo Texas when my Workhorse W22 fan ripped my fan shroud off and broke all the fan blades, throwing them into the radiator causing about 20 holes. Now I sit on a Saturday morning still attempting to find someone to repair my Newmar
B...B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 06:01 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am sorry to hear about your fan problem.

Here is a link Oemys web page. He has part numbers that may help to expedite your repairs.

Oemy's Web Site - RV Chassis Parts Xref W Series

W0007657 Fan Assm OEM W8005661 Fan Shroud Kit OEM W0005416 Upper Fan Shroud OEM 159805519 Upper Fan Shroud GM W0005417 Lower Fan Shroud OEM 159805518 Lower Fan Shroud GM W0000218 Upper Radiator Hose OEM 26163X Upper Radiator Hose AC Delco 8441 Upper Radiator Hose NAPA 465-21750 Upper Radiator Hose Gates W0000219 Lower Radiator Hose OEM 24397L Lower Radiator Hose AC Delco 9058 Lower Radiator Hose NAPA 465-22425 Lower Radiator Hose Gates 605-1371 Radiator Drain Cock NAPA
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:15 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you don't mind used parts give these guys a call. They may be able to expedite the parts you need or can't find.

RV Salvage Motorhomes - Parting Out Used RV Parts Repair and Accessories | Visone RV, RV Salvage Parts, Motorhome Repairable Wrecks, Used RV Parts Monaco, Prevost, Allegro, Holiday Rambler, Alfa, RV Junk Yard - Dismantler , visonerv.com

We Have Your Part…*|*Colaw RV Parts and Salvage

I have dealt with both of these Salvage yards in the past. One is in Kentucky and one in Missouri. I am sure they could help you.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Buzzard--

I couldn't find out what year your rig is from your personal info provided.

I know that the lower half of the fan shroud on my W-22 (2002) did not have a bolt fastening that lower shroud section to the frame it rests against. I installed two such bolts on mine after reading about other folks having your same problem.

Here is "Oemy's" fix for the problem. You should have this done to your replaced lower shroud before departing, asap, on your very next movement of the Motor home. This, lack of one bolt, caused many folks pulling up mountains, to have similiar problems as yours.

Sorry about your present predicament. Unfortunately, this was a rather common Workhorse problem years ago.

My advice is a little late to help you- maybe it can help others.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Well,we feel your pain. Wish I knew about this problem before last Saturday. After working for over a year getting our car ready and more money than I want to admit for Hot August Nights in Reno our fan on our W22 Winnebago Adventurer disintegerated taking out the Shroud and radiator. We have parts coming next day air but not much comfort since we were scheduled check in tomorrow in Reno. Maggie at La Mesa RV in Tucson was wonderful finding parts for us but must say I'm very upset with Winnebagoe for not putting out a advisory on the potential problem. Oh well it is what it is.
kstateaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Also what happened with mine was, the bolt holes on the top shroud are slotted so the shroud got sucked out from under the bolts and shredded by the fan. Luckily it didn’t damage the fan or radiator. The new shroud has non-slotted holes.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateaddict View Post
Well,we feel your pain. Wish I knew about this problem before last Saturday. After working for over a year getting our car ready and more money than I want to admit for Hot August Nights in Reno our fan on our W22 Winnebago Adventurer disintegerated taking out the Shroud and radiator. We have parts coming next day air but not much comfort since we were scheduled check in tomorrow in Reno. Maggie at La Mesa RV in Tucson was wonderful finding parts for us but must say I'm very upset with Winnebagoe for not putting out a advisory on the potential problem. Oh well it is what it is.
I didn't know anything about the shrouds and fan problems either until I got into the discussions on fan clutches and cooling temperatures

After doing a Google search I ran across these articles and discussions http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/fan-h...oud-23640.html this dates as far back as 05

After having my fan clutch replaced and the lost side piece replaced I checked the shroud and sure enough I have a slight hole in the bottom shroud where the fan blade has been rubbing.

I also found that the replaced side piece has come loose from the top. With no time left before vacation to go back to the dealer who replaced the parts, I duct taped the hole and the side piece and so far everything is still holding. How long is duct tape good for

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ron, before you travel consider the following.

I recently lost a new (Pass side) side piece on the way home this summer!

I also experienced a loss of coolant and punctured heater hose shortly after hearing a bang and clang underneath the dog house. I'm guessing that the side piece got sucked in and then ejected.

The puncture of/or hose failure was in line with the portion of fan blades that are visible to it. At the time I assumed the ten year old rubber hoses were the reason for hose failure. The damaged portion of the heater hose was removed and the heater was bypassed using the remaining hoses/clamps. Luckily only some minor radiator fin damage was seen. The rest of the shroud and fan did not suffer any damage.

At the time of this incident, outside temperatures were 109+ and the fan was roaring its loudest constantly in the hilly terrain south of Moab Ut.

This side piece is the third we lost and from the passenger side since MH was new..

At home all hoses were replaced. None were even close to being worn or in poor condition to the point I would consider serious. The damaged in the heater hose was the only part of that hose that was in unusable condition.

What I found concerning the attachment of the shroud to the radiator frame may lead to a root cause to previous shroud related issue. I will publish this info at a later date on a new post.

Marty
Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is this a potential problem on all years of W-22 Chassis or just certain years? I have an 07 Southwind
Briian
Old 08-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brian, I have only posted about issues I have had direct experience with on my 2003 chassis. I recall several 2001 -2003 W22s having similar shroud issues. I can't say that later model years would have similar problems but certainly you can check things like this out. Do searches on this forum to see what year chassis have had fan shroud issues.
Marty

WCC has made improvements over the years on various parts designs as was evidenced in better more robust shrouds and air dams. I don't know the dates of these changed parts or model years the became incorporated.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Two thousand dollars later we made it back on the road again. Our new shroud was installed using bolts and screws and we made sure there was proper clearance. We have three different friends that have Winnebagos with the 8.1 and they have already started correcting the problem on their RV's. Everyone that owns one should be made aware of the situation.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the same issue with my W22. Lucky the only damage was to the shroud. Installed New parts, put screws in bottom. Still less than 1/4 inch clearance. I still had slight contact with the fan going downhill against compression. I took the bottom half off today, cut pieces of a rubber tarp strap to make a spacer between the halves. I sealed around the perimeter with plunium tape. High temp product and very sticky. I now have room for my little finger between the fan and shroud. We are leaving Sunday for Oregon. We will see how it works!
Old 08-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Mixmanbob, Keep us up to speed on how it works. As you noted there isn't much clearance after the rework so the potential for problems still exists. Just placed ours in storage but will check when I exercise the rv in a few weeks. Jerry
Old 08-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmanbob View Post
I had the same issue with my W22. Lucky the only damage was to the shroud. Installed New parts, put screws in bottom. Still less than 1/4 inch clearance. I still had slight contact with the fan going downhill against compression. I took the bottom half off today, cut pieces of a rubber tarp strap to make a spacer between the halves. I sealed around the perimeter with plunium tape. High temp product and very sticky. I now have room for my little finger between the fan and shroud. We are leaving Sunday for Oregon. We will see how it works!
Great idea with the rubber strap. I have been looking for spacer material to lower the lower half of the shroud.