Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #1

Worried about buying Class A on a W22 chassis.

We are looking at a 2008 Tiffin Allegro that is on a Workhorse W22 Gas Chassis. My big concern about this is if I will have problems years from now trying to get parts for it. I tried calling the local Workhorse service center only to find they are no longer open. I did call a local place that works on trucks and they said no problem to do any work on it. They said as long as they could get parts there would not be a problem. They do a lot of work on RVs as well as heavy trucks. I checked out the Workhorse website and I just happened to click on the "news" link and the last entry was from 2009. That does not make we feel confident. I posted this in the Workhorse section here in hopes I get some responses of if buying a W22 chassis coach is a bad idea. Not trying to offend but just trying to figure out what to do. Thanks
AXG1040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
there are plenty of parts available... just like previous chassis (p30).
There are also a huge list where you can cross reference the OEM part to an aftermarket.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi AXG1040
I have a P31932 (P32) chassis build in 2003 and paid WORKHORSE for a "Serial Parts Book" on a CD Rom that prints out to 863 numbered pages. 90%+ of the parts are not unique to WORKHORSE. They have an O/E (Original Equipment) part number. At over 100000 miles I was able to find all needed parts locally or on the INTERNET.
If you can get the same for your chassis, then your concerns could be alleviated.
garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I would not worry about getting needed parts for your W-22. Except for a few proprietary Workhorse parts such as the fuel filter, which you can adapt easily, I would think that most parts can be obtained from normal auto parts stores or GM dealers, especially truck shops. The W-22 is a great chassis and the 08 Tiffin Allegro is a nice coach.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXG1040 View Post
We are looking at a 2008 Tiffin Allegro that is on a Workhorse W22 Gas Chassis. My big concern about this is if I will have problems years from now trying to get parts for it.
This should make a nice coach for you. I would not worry so much about parts because of the installed base which exceeds well over 100,000 units.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:08 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it is not dirt cheap, run away and if you do start buying spare parts like a engine.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
This should make a nice coach for you. I would not worry so much about parts because of the installed base which exceeds well over 100,000 units.
Since the 8.1L engine is also used on Chevy/GMC trucks and suv's, there's a lot more of those on the road too. (Anybody have an idea how many?)

And the Allison 1000 has a big install base too.....besides the tranny is nearly bullet proof anyway.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wouldn't worry about service on the chassis. Parts are and will be available and they are still building these chassis only with the diesels now up front instead of the 8.1. I'm sure variuos parts on these chassis are the same from front to back other than the braking systems between the W22 and W24 which are different systems.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
If it is not dirt cheap, run away and if you do start buying spare parts like a engine.
you base that recommendation on what?
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #10

I was incorrect. It is on a W20 Chassis. Thanks for all the input this far. Sounds like I may not have any issues. Having only driven our Lazy Daze Class C on an E450 chassis I am not sure how the Workhorse chassis compares to say the Ford version class A chassis. Better ride and handling?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
I cannot disagree with this statement anymore than to say that it is full of dark smelly stuff. We have an '06 W-22 that has our full time home on top of it. Have not even considered something different yet. In fact, we just had 4 Koni's, alignment, front tires, serp belt, radiator service and what not done.

That was because we fully expect to put another 50k trouble free miles on it.

Bob
Old 02-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXG1040 View Post
I was incorrect. It is on a W20 Chassis. Thanks for all the input this far. Sounds like I may not have any issues. Having only driven our Lazy Daze Class C on an E450 chassis I am not sure how the Workhorse chassis compares to say the Ford version class A chassis. Better ride and handling?
Same holds true for the W20 - almost all parts are available via cross referencing WH Part Numbers. You will have some learning to do - it will be different than the Ford, but just ask and your answers can be found here.
IMHO - Study the AutoPark brake first - it's different and you need to know how it works. Don't be scared by horror stories - if you understand how it works you'll be OK. When it works, it works well. If you start having issues you need to know what to do about it and how to tend to it right away.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #13

There is NO "autopark" on ANY W-20 or W-22 Workhorse chassis-it was never used on these products. You will have a foot-applied Parking brake and a park pawl inside the Allison tranny, so NO WORRIES about that "issue".

In your posts you did not state "which" Allegro, but I hope it is one of the smaller models due to the W-20 having a GVWR of 20,700 lbs. It will allow up to 26,000 GCVWR, but the W-20 may not provide an excess of CCC if one of the larger floorplans is on top.

IMO, the only thing you should "worry" about is whether or not the Bosch Brake recall has been completed. If not, you should insist on that being done before you take possesion. Do you know how many miles are on the coach you are considering?
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
There is NO "autopark" on ANY W-20 or W-22 Workhorse chassis-it was never used on these products. You will have a foot-applied Parking brake and a park pawl inside the Allison tranny, so NO WORRIES about that "issue".

In your posts you did not state "which" Allegro, but I hope it is one of the smaller models due to the W-20 having a GVWR of 20,700 lbs. It will allow up to 26,000 GCVWR, but the W-20 may not provide an excess of CCC if one of the larger floorplans is on top.

IMO, the only thing you should "worry" about is whether or not the Bosch Brake recall has been completed. If not, you should insist on that being done before you take possesion. Do you know how many miles are on the coach you are considering?
Sorry I left out some info. It is a 2008 Tiffin Allegro 32BA. The owner just got the brake recall done back in 2011. The coach has 26,000 miles on it and is stored in a garage.
What makes this even more interesting is the owner wants to "trade" coaches. They want to downsize and really want a Lazy Daze. We want to upsize and really like their layout and the Tiffin brand. We of course would need to put some money in the deal as ours is worth a bit less than theirs.

Tags
chassis