Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #71

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I would hope that in the future, Tiffin could produce the UFO but I certainly understand why Bob Tiffin has not jumped into manufacturing the UFO yet. As to the threads question, I am brand loyal to Tiffin as my current rig is the third one that I have owned and would seriously consider the UFO. With a Tiffin product on a Workhorse chassis, it's a win-win situation.

I must say that I have been entertained by reading this thread, but it sort of reminds me of that other forum. You folks know which one that I mean.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2008, 02:17 AM   #72

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I must say that I have been entertained by reading this thread, but it sort of reminds me of that other forum. You folks know which one that I mean.

Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bob,
We are trying to correct that and keep things on topic!

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #73

<span class="ev_code_WHITE">.</span>

<span class="ev_code_WHITE">.........</span>

Yes, Tiffin would be among my first choice for a UFO based coach. Seems Tiffin has been on/off developing a UFO coach, and now apparently taking the "wait and see" attitude. Hopefully, if they do decide to go forward, they will build initially on the UFO R22 chassis. I believe this will result in not only a lighter, less expensive coach, but also one that will ultimately return better MPG numbers.

<span class="ev_code_WHITE">.</span>
Explore America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #74

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hopefully, if they do decide to go forward, they will build initially on the UFO R22 chassis. I believe this will result in not only a lighter, less expensive coach, but also one that will ultimately return better MPG numbers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
From your fingertips to Mr. Tiffin's eyes and ears! ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #75

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ed, production has really slowed down at Red Bay! People are just sitting out and waiting to see how bad the economy gets. I think we're in store for even deeper manufacturer discounts! Let's be honest here, now is just not the time to run out and buy a new MH. The time to buy is when the price of gas and diesel hit its peak, because that is when pricing will be at its lowest and eventually the price of fuel will come back down. It is going to be a rough road ahead and I hope Tiffin survives and eventually builds on the "UFO"! Chuck.
Bagman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:14 PM   #76

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Let's be honest here, now is just not the time to run out and buy a new MH. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
CHUCK: I'm not so sure I can agree. Here is my "reasoning":

Retail "dealers",whom we cannot avoid if buying new, have a fixed amount of overhead and other costs that they must recoup just to keep the doors open (unless the owner has really deep pockets). Some dealerships have already closed, and "most" are struggling to stay in business. IF unit sales are down, it seems to me they may "need" to make more "profit" per unit sold, to generate enough cash flow.

If these were boom times, with lots of units rolling off their lots, dealers have the ability to make "less" on each one. I'm not saying they all operate that way, but they "could".

In short, I don't think these are very good times for ANY of us. Sorry to be such a wet blanket. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #77

Mid Atlantic Campers
Your used Coach is of little value as a trade in to a dealer. If you have a trade in this is a very bad time to buy new.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:53 AM   #78

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would buy a new MH if?
I was sure of the QA work and it was not a cookie cutter floorplan.
If it was some chassis manufacture that I had faith in.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:06 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RON55:
I was sure of the QA work and it was not a cookie cutter floorplan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Chief, I believe that this is the major fact of life that has held back more robust sales of the UFO. I do believe that will change sooner than we think because a UFO once driven is only but a signature away from bringing it home.

Front engine gas motorhome chassis remain the major player however I still love more than anything the chance to look at a P51 however the reality is more along the lines of an F22 in order to get the job done.

If a person is out there shopping for a pusher and they have the opportunity to drive a UFO on a great floorplan the decision I believe will favor the less expensive UFO.

The R22 UFO will also bring in a less expensive platform and under the right box it'll make formidable competitor compared to whatever else is out there in that price range.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:56 AM   #80

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ed, I unerstand exactly your point of view, but think about this point, if you were to go into a dealer's showroom and offer him $5,000.00 over his cost on a brand new class A that has been sitting there for the last six months, and he typically sells this unit for $11,000.00 over cost, do you really think he is going to send you packing and refuse your offer? No, my guess is that he'll figure a $5,000.00 profit on one unit is better than nothing! A 2004 Allegro Bay 37DB loaded to the max with only 10,000 miles couldn't even fetch $59,900.00 on Ebay the other day! Brand new the MSRP was $128,000.00. I do agree with you that X amount dealers will not make it, but right now, anyone shopping for a new motor home and has cash, has all the aces in their hand! Chuck.
Bagman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:33 AM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagman57:
.... but right now, anyone shopping for a new (<span class="ev_code_RED">motorhome</span>) and has cash, has all the aces in their hand! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Chuck, Substitute anything your heart desires for the word highlighted in <span class="ev_code_red">RED</span> above and you couldn't be more correct than anything I can imagine.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote