Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #1

06 F-53 AC Compressor Faulty, Again

Was crawling underneath today. Noticed my 3 year old AC compressor is coated in oil, just like the one that I replaced. What is with Ford and these compressors? I have read that others have had similar issues.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #2

A year or so ago I replaced the a/c comp in my 06 F53.....Compressor was leaking oil........

I had at done at a Ford dealer under ext warranty......This dealer works on many MH's.....This is what the service tech told me:

He sees way more MH's with a/c issues than cars.....He told me the reason is that we RV people do not use them enough....He advised to use the a/c even if not needed, just regulate the temp to suit.....He said the worst thing for these compressors is to let them sit unused, which they typically do for months for the majority of us...

He knows more than I do so I took his advice and use my a/c every time I start the engine......

I cannot remember ever having an issue with the a/c in my cars....Maybe it is because they get used routinely......

Steve and Liz
Elko, Nv

Old 10-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1209 View Post
I had at done at a Ford dealer under ext warranty......This dealer works on many MH's.....This is what the service tech told me:
He sees way more MH's with a/c issues than cars.....He told me the reason is that we RV people do not use them enough....He advised to use the a/c even if not needed, just regulate the temp to suit.....He said the worst thing for these compressors is to let them sit unused, which they typically do for months for the majority of us...
The tech is correct, when the compressor sits for a long time with out running the shaft seal oil film drys out. When it is turned on with the dry seal the seal gets destroyed. May not start leaking the first time, but it will eventually. Run the compressor at least monthly, even in the winter to prevent a dry seal.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #4

After I replaced the first one, I made it a point to run the new one often, even in the winter. Didn't seem to help.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #5

Good advice. The AC compressor should also run in the defrost mode, although many may not run much in defrost weather. We use the dash AC almost year round some.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #6

Are they toast once they leak or can you refill them? How much oil do they hold? Does it all leak out or will some stay in so you can use it? Thanks.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #7

The compressor is toast when this happens it has to be replaced and recharged
with refrigerant My 2011 did the same thing and I do run mine once a week
Old 10-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #8

Does anyone now how much refrigerant the system holds? I have Evans cooling system. The data plate is a bit hard to read. I ordered a new compressor off amazon for 200 bucks. Over 500 from the local dealer, who doesn't work on RV's.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Does anyone now how much refrigerant the system holds? I have Evans cooling system. The data plate is a bit hard to read. I ordered a new compressor off amazon for 200 bucks. Over 500 from the local dealer, who doesn't work on RV's.
I took a picture of the data plate so I could read it, took a couple of times to get a good picture. Didn't keep the picture, all I can remember is 3lbs ?oz.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Are they toast once they leak or can you refill them? How much oil do they hold? Does it all leak out or will some stay in so you can use it? Thanks.
According to Ford the seal can be replaced. A seal kit costs about $26.00. Once you remove the old seal you have to inspect the shaft. If it isn't scored a new seal can be installed. Once the seal is installed the system has to be vacuumed down to remove the moisture and new refrigerant can be added.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #11

I just took a look at the plate on my Evans evaporate box, and it says 2.7 pounds
Old 10-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #12

Thanks BillyB.

I'm now not positive that it is a leak from the compressor. I got up under with a flashlight and looked closer. The few drops I saw were on the bottom but I also noted a small leak from above from oil where the head meets the block. Anyway, I looked up near the shaft on the compressor and noticed no oil residue at all nor any splattered below it.
Got me to thinking anyway about these compressors. They seem well built, just can't imagine a need to run the engine with compressor engaged monthly. Maybe back in the old days but with modern materials and such, I just can't see it. Nor can I see every RV dealer running out every month and turning over all of their stock. Just doesn't make sense. I would be more apt to believe in a run of bad compressors than I would in damaged compressors from lack of use.

Regardless, I will keep an eye on it and see what happens. Called a small independent auto ac guy today who makes this his business and nothing else. We talked and he asked a couple of questions. Is it still blowing cold? Yes. Are there a lot of drips? No. Any puddles below it? No. He said if it was leaking, it would have all leaked out by now and that would be it.

Tags
compressor