RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
1983 E350 7.5 liter Carb recommendations

If I was to replace my carb what recommendations do you guys have for a good replacement? The rig is only 19-20 ft. It has a 460 all original. A friend said to go with edelbrock but I'm not sure what sizes or models would be a good fit. I'm not stuck on any brand as I don't know much about carbs. Rebuilding is not out of the question either. The carb it has on it is a Holley for Motorcraft. Not sure what size. I appreciate any advice! Thanks and merry Christmas!

Iepsr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #2

Ford engineers went to all of the trouble to figure out what works best, so why, oh why, do you want to mess with what you've got? I've spent four years chasing a intermittent misfire, working on and off and time permits and combining test drives with travel plans. I now know everything there is to know, so far, about my Quadrajet carburetor and have re-mastered the GM HEI ignition system. Yes I did think about putting on the Edelbrock equivalent of the Quadrajet but that would have meant starting all over again the the adjustments, and my Quadrajet was made for this application.

My mis-fire? If I'm Charlie Brown then my Rockwood is Lucy. But. After chasing everything full circle I went back and found a dumb-ass mistake when I put the new coil, module and condenser in the distributor and thing seem to be going better now. But be careful who you tell because Lucy is listening and I just know she's hiding around the corner waiting to ruin my feeling of accomplishment.

OldToolmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for your input oldtoolmaker. I appreciate it. I am leaning towards a rebuild of the original carb.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:47 PM   #4

The OEM carb should be a 650, so start around that size. The larger you go in carb size, the higher the rpms would need to go to produce the same amount of hp. That engine, everything about it is to spec, like the compression ratio is matched to the valve sizes & cam & stroke of the crank, so a 650 really all you need on a stock engine like that.

It would be good & less work, if you would stick to the same type of carb came on the engine, because what ever you install different from OEM, you'll have to make changes just to make it fit & work.

If it was mine & something was wrong with that OEM carb, I would search out a good carb man & have him work his wonders on it, or either buy a new one from Ford.

Dont know the problems your having, but I would just about bet money, its those vacuum hoses, the EGR or receading exhaust valves creating the problems before I would figure the carb.
Neil
Old 12-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #5

If it will fit, might want to consider a Holly 800 double pumper, i.e., accelerator pumps on both primary & secondary barrels...

Good luck & safe travels....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iepsr55 View Post
Thanks for your input oldtoolmaker. I appreciate it. I am leaning towards a rebuild of the original carb.
I've bought parts for my Quadrajet from these folks and found them good to deal with even though they're mostly Holley folks.

WELCOME TO ALLSTATE CARBURETOR & FUEL INJECTION

I wish I had a Holley, but GM loves their Quadrajet.

If you choose to clean your Holley yourself, make plenty of time, say three days to do the job. One to remove the carb, one to clean and assemble and one to re-install. Otherwise, what would you do tomorrow?
Old 12-27-2014, 08:03 AM   #7

I forgot to add this: Power valve. It's a known failure point in Holley carburetors. The power valve diaphragm will rupture if the engine fats back into the intake manifold hard enough, then the mixture goes rich all the time.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Given the fact you live in CA and are subject to emission tests I would stick with the original carb. If needed, have it rebuilt.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #9

Heres something else you can do, go to 460ford.com cause them ol boys love a Ford big block & can fix you up. Learned me a lot back when I had one.
Neil
Old 12-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all you input! The original problem was when I got it started after years of sitting it was burning a lot of fuel or running way to rich.

Anyhow, I have decided to stay with my original carb and have it rebuilt by a reputable carb shop. I will also be changing all of the vacuum lines and rubber on the entire chassis. Thanks again!
Old 12-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iepsr55 View Post
Thanks for all you input! The original problem was when I got it started after years of sitting it was burning a lot of fuel or running way to rich.
Having it rebuilt by a qualified shop is a great way to go. But my guess is that they'll find a blown power valve.

Congratulations on your choice.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #12

I'll second that PV deal.
95% of the problems on a 460 Ford big block, are from those heads up, all top end mess & why in the world didnt they just run a big vacuum hose from the engine to a big supply block & then hose out to what the vacuum will work.
No telling how many 460 heads have been messed up from running lean from vacuum leaks.

Ohhh wait, man, I forgot the designed in failure points the engineers figured in.
Neil