Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #1

1985 E350 Brakes HELP

Is there someone out there who might remember how the brakes worked in 85. My son has a 1985 E 350 Class c The rotors wew cracked both sides when he got it. We replaced with like new from the bone yard had them trued up and installed. It has 2 relatively new genuine ford product calipers . After the first test flight the brakes seemed warm/hot to me. So is there anything in the brake system that could cause pressure to remain on the caliper slightly to cause enough drag that would heat things up and eventually crack these rotors? I realize disc brakes slighly drag anyhow but prior to driving when both wheels were jacked up we ran the motor and pumped the brakes numerous times and everything seemed fine??? So if you have some factual info that might help a youg man with limited income figure this out please respond to his old dad so he can help him out... Thanks Jim
fayjim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just because the looked "like new" from the junkyard doesn't mean they haven't been trued several times and are too thin. I would have them checked with a micrometer to see if they are actually thick enough. The specifications are stamped on them.

Brake rotors will be very hot after driving, even if they are working correctly. That is why they have cooling fins built into them. Sometimes they will even glow in the dark when going down a steep hill and applying them several times.

The calipers could very well be sticking, the hoses not allowing fluid to return to the master cylinder, or a master cylinder problem. I would have the rotors checked first though.

Another possible problem. If the rears aren't working properly, the fronts have to do all of the work stopping the truck. You might want to double check that they are doing what they are supposed to do also.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Could be:
1 Bad Master Cylinder.
2 Wheel bearings out of adjustment.
3 No lubricant on caliper slides.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I had a 1985 Ford class C on an E350 chassis and I scared myself one day when I had to stop faster than I normally would. There was no way that the braking system would stop you in a panic stop. I got in touch with Hydrotech Braking systems out of TN and they had a hydroboost unit for an E350. The hydroboost unit replaces the vacuum booster with a hydraulic unit that works off the power steering pump. They are an amazing system and will stop you on a dime with very little foot pressure on the pedal.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Caliper's and or flex lines as well.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
The vacuum booster and or residual pressure valves.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #7

Thanks for the info. I measured the rotors removed from the yard with a mic. and they were on the high side of the wear range well within limits. The rotors were turned but all they had to do was remove the rust and it was a done deal. The calipers that are on there were from previous owner(still had the foil Genuine Ford Decal on them. The rubber lines seem good like they were replaced not even any weather checking. I polished the sliding surfaces of the calipers before reinstall. I personally packed the new inner/outer wheel brgs and toqued to spec before cotter pin install. We ran the engine for 30 minutes with the wheels off the ground while exercising the brakes. The calipers moved closed and open every time and the rotor turned free after each pedal movement. Then we drove it and thats when we returned home that I thought they seemed awful hot. I faled to jack it up immediately to see how the wheels turned, I wasn,t feeling well. However this rig has only 68000 miles on it and the rotors that we found cracked were obvious not the original . So it is safe that the used ones we installed are set #3. wow The info on the booster and I think somone said vaving. Where are the valvesthat could hold pressure Thanks but I have done all that easy stuff. Thanks again Jim
Old 09-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't dismiss the rubber lines as good just because they look OK on the outside. Since it is obvious that the brakes have been worked on previously, you don't know how careful the "mechanic" was. If they pinched the lines (let the calipers hang by the hoses) they can be internally damaged and can block fluid flow. I'm not saying to replace them now but keep it in mind if you don't find the solution elsewhere.
Best of luck!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #9

Okay We will remove and replace the front rubber hoses. But I,m going to ask the same thing is there anything other than lines and maybe a caliper in the system that could hold preassure. Valves or aNY OTHER GIZMOS AND THERE LOCATIONS. i,M SORRY IT MAy SOUND LIKE i,M DISMISSING YOUR ASSISTANCE BUT WE HAVEN,T HIT THE SOURCE OF THE TROUBLE YET. tHANKS jIM
Old 09-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes the Master Cylinder can but I am not saying that is your problem but it might be.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Proportional valve..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Proportional valve is for the rear wheels only.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
The Proportional valve is for the rear wheels only.
I see.. Then mis-adjusted rear brakes could do it too.. other than that, collapsed inner linings in the front lines, or master cylinder is all I got as a potential problem..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Good bet it is the hoses. Take top off of mc open bleeders one at a time fluid should gravity bleed if hoses are good.After you take them off you should be able to blow trough them easy if they are good.

Tags
brakes