Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
To the OP.
Do you have an stock exhaust system or headers on the 460?
If you have headers where is the O2 bung located?
I will ask again, if you have stock exhaust have checked for a crack in the manifold?

subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #44

well problem solved ! I went under the motor home and unplugged the o2 sensor and noticed that the plug coming from the computer only had three wires but had a four wire plug on it and when I bought this m.h. It had a four wire o2 sensor so bought another four wire o2 sensor threw my money away but ordered a three wire today no wonder the check engine was on and the o2 sensor looked new

Old 08-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #45

Great news!
Old 08-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder47for View Post
well problem solved ! I went under the motor home and unplugged the o2 sensor and noticed that the plug coming from the computer only had three wires but had a four wire plug on it and when I bought this m.h. It had a four wire o2 sensor so bought another four wire o2 sensor threw my money away but ordered a three wire today no wonder the check engine was on and the o2 sensor looked new
Congratulations on some good diagnostic work.

I'll probably always suspect that your ECU has been changed to a later one by a previous owner. Ones from a 1990 are perhaps hard to get easily. Again, if you are able to post or PM me an image of the 60 pin connector, I may be able to say if this is what has happened.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
mpaton and I have taking back an fourth for a lot years and I did not expect to see him post what he posted above either.
Lets quit the bickering and try to help the OP out as much as we can.
Bill, I have to say that I made that post without any intention of bickering with you. I had previously stated that I disagreed with you on whether your pin #6 test could meant a full power test was unnecessary.

I thought it rude to simply disagree and not say why, and so I posted what I did in order that you and others might see WHY I disagreed with you, and perhaps take issue with my analysis. I might indeed have instead sent you a PM, but we now have the learned James to join in our discussions, and I felt he would have something to contribute, one way or the other.

I feel that this approach of trying to justify our beliefs is the way in which we all learn things, and in this case, might even have demonstrated that I was wrong. Evidently that's not what happened, you've been upset, and the discussion has gone no further, all of which I regret.

But for the OP, the problem has gone away, so that's good. I will likely remain suspicious that his 1990 chassis has been given a later ECU, but we'll likely never get to the bottom of that either.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaton View Post
And here's one without:
1991 Flair By Fleetwood 25Y for Sale - A808 - PPL Motor Homes
You can see the older style steering wheel that goes with the C6.

Also I have an ECU from a 1990 Ford truck (likely not an RV) Code SOJ that has 2 digit codes, and an E4OD. And guess what else? Closed loop is NOT calibrated out.

So I've found at least one that didn't. I'm sure it was OFFERED, but this statement is like saying that all vehicles from 1996 and after are OBD2, whereas we in the RV community know that's not so. I gather some RV makers were using the C6 with an overdrive, and didn't want the E4OD.
If you had looked more closely, that 91 Flair is on an Oshkosh chassis, not a F53 chassis. Thus it has a 460 & C6 transmission. Your comment about a C6 being offered with OD, shows you lack of knowledge about Ford transmissions. I stand by my 88-97 F53 E4OD statement.

Richard
Old 08-10-2013, 03:25 AM   #49

Took it for a drive today and no lite wonderful I'am thinking I know what happened the guy I bought it from went to a parts store and bought a o2 sensor for a 1990 Ford with a 460 and not knowing that they offered two o2 sensors that year a three wire and a four wire the parts guy gave him a four wire cause the sensor looked new ,I took it out and I went and bought the same kind took me to look at the wires coming from the computer to see they only three wires my 1990 Bounder is a end of the year mh it has a 460 with a E4OD trans. In it. Thanks guys for all your help I learned a lot Gary Sterling
Old 08-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #50

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS7201 View Post
If you had looked more closely, that 91 Flair is on an Oshkosh chassis, not a F53 chassis. Thus it has a 460 & C6 transmission. Your comment about a C6 being offered with OD, shows you lack of knowledge about Ford transmissions. I stand by my 88-97 F53 E4OD statement.

Richard
OK I will ask.
I looked very close and I do not see what would make it an Oshkosh chassis, what did you see?
It has a Ford cluster and steering wheel.
Saw a few listings for the 1990 and all that stated the chassis said Ford chassis.
Why do you think the listing would have a C6?
Mr mpaton never said anything about having a C6 with OD.
He was talking about an after market device that you can put on to give you OD with a C6.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder47for View Post
Took it for a drive today and no lite wonderful I'am thinking I know what happened the guy I bought it from went to a parts store and bought a o2 sensor for a 1990 Ford with a 460 and not knowing that they offered two o2 sensors that year a three wire and a four wire the parts guy gave him a four wire cause the sensor looked new ,I took it out and I went and bought the same kind took me to look at the wires coming from the computer to see they only three wires my 1990 Bounder is a end of the year mh it has a 460 with a E4OD trans. In it. Thanks guys for all your help I learned a lot Gary Sterling
Excellent news on the repair!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #52

I figure I would bring this up in this this forum because this is where all the debate was. I currently have a 96 460 motorhome with no power. As you can see in the video all "bench" test pass however when driving, fuel pressure drops very low. Please excuse the video of my very manly legs

VID 20130910 135623309 - YouTube

VID 20130910 140025611 - YouTube

Tags
bounder