Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #1

1994 Bounder Speedometer issues

Can someone assist me with this. I have 1994 Bounder (Ford) My speedometer is acting erratically and the Odometer is showing an "error" message, is there an easy fix? Bob
Banditt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome to iRV2! I've moved your post to the Ford Chassis section so hopefully you'll get more responses. Wish I could help.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

I believe your speedo is all electronic, it gets a signal from the transmission and computer. I'd check all wire connections to instrument cluster. Unclip, spray with contact cleaner and re-connect, including connections on the transmission.

If you need a new speedometer/odometer, check with a Ford dealer before removing old one to find out what will need to be done to keep miles honest.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like a bad PSOM.
You will need to do a prove-out to check it out.
If it fails the prove-out then you will need to remove the PSOM.

This has nothing to do with the PCM Computer and no it does not get any signal from the computer or the Transmission.
The signal (information) going to the PSOM comes from the VSS that is mounted on the parking (emergency) brake housing. The VSS would not cause this.

You can either send the PSOM to a place to have it repaired and they can keep the miles in it that you have or you can go to a salvage yard and pick up a few clusters and take the PSOM's out of the them and you should be able to find a good one in one of them. Then set your calibration setting to 1.00.
But you will have the miles on the odometer that the truck had on it that the PSOM is from.

I do not think the Ford dealer has them any more and if they do you are talking $500.00 more or less.

If you need to know how to do a prove-out or the address of the place to repair it just email me and I will send you the information.
My email is at the bottom of this post.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditt12 View Post
Can someone assist me with this. I have 1994 Bounder (Ford) My speedometer is acting erratically and the Odometer is showing an "error" message, is there an easy fix? Bob
The Pace Arrow in this time period used a ISSPRO speedometer cluster. I am not sure about the Bounder. Can you post a picture? If you have the ISSPRO, It is not supplied by Ford.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #6

I have had Ford replace my instrument cluster twice, and this last trip I lost the speedometer and ABS three times when I encountered really rough roads. Is there something else they should be doing?
ranchgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchgal View Post
I have had Ford replace my instrument cluster twice, and this last trip I lost the speedometer and ABS three times when I encountered really rough roads. Is there something else they should be doing?
Do you have the Ford Electronic speedometer?
What year is your RV?
Is this a class "A" F53?

You say you lost it three times. Are you saying it quite and then started working again three times?

Sounds like maybe bad wiring under the RV.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder