Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2007, 12:55 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally posted by Turrable Terry:
Certainly I understand the purpose of the link. I guess Ford didn't want to go back and produce a switch that functions properly. I wonder if they are still using the same switch. If not, would the currently used switch work in our application? Or, mayhaps an aftermarket switch that is better?
Lets face it Ford has a long history of creating fire hazards with many of their "Better Ideas". Most times it has takes a long drawn out court battle, many deaths and a court order to get them to do someting about it.

Have we forgotton when they tried to save money by having a cheaper ignition switch built to their own design instead of going with the proven one from Briggs and Stratton. How many cars, garages and homes were burnt down before they did anything about it?

How about the warm and fuzzy feeling you got from their power seats in the late eighties and early nineties when they caught fire?

Then there was the pop-up gas tank. To save mone on sheet metal they decided to use the top of the gase tank as the floor of the trunk so the tanks dropped into place from inside the car. In a rear end collision the tank would pop-up and split showering the back seat occupants with fuel before setting them on fire.

Although not fire related, remember when they tried to save money by putting even thinner safety belts in the back seats. It took a public expose of how the passengers in those cars were disemboweled in moderate crashes by the thinner cheaper belts before something was done about it.

Ford is doing something now about the Cruise Control problem that we may not feel is the optimum solution but at least it is something that will protect us and if we do it their way, still leaves them on the hook if it does not work as advertised.

Publicly they are mentioning just the switch however I have a feeling it probably goes deeper than that and a few other components are involved. Lets face it, a bad switch is hardly a new problem and does happen. Imagine if our cars all burst into flames every time a fan or brake light switch got worn out.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #30

Just took my 1999 F53 Ford V10 class A motorhome chassis in for 05S28 recall after 6 week wait. Dealer had no info from Ford on details like fuse size or differences in pressure switch. They installed a new pressure switch 3L3T-9F924-AB-2075B (# was hard to read, small characters around base of switch, requiring mirror & bright light so I could have an error). Also installed was a short 2 conductor wiring harness 4W1T-14A411-P260R which is required as the new switch has a different connector than the original switch. There is no fuse in the harness, the wire type and gage looks like stranded copper wire, not a fusible link.

So it looks like it boils down to "is the new switch less likely to cause a fire than the original switch" as +12VDC is still present at the pressure switch 24/7 (Ford's solution). If anyone has any info on the new switch, I would appreciate hearing it.

I believe the best solution is to add a standard relay operated by the switch and powered from the +12V ignition signal with a 1/4A fuse in series (the relay requires 150mA). Comments anyone?
TedC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #31

TED C: I have no comment, I am not qualified to comment on your post. However, you have given more information than I have seen on this subject yet. It gives cause to consider this whole problem from another perspective.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:17 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
quote: September 11, 2007
Originally posted by Bob&Pat:

quote: September 11, 2007
Originally posted by Bob&Pat:
I called the phone number included in the recall letter under the Motorhome section and they gave me the name of a independent truck service center, "not a Ford dealer" but they are authorized to do Ford warranty work, that was near me.

September 11, 2007 10:55 AM
I called that independent truck service center and was told the had 14 parts and did 7 on Friday and 7 on Tuesday and their new order for replacement parts is back ordered until January.

Thought I would give Eastern Michigan Kenworth Truck Service a call today, at about noon, and ask about the Cruise Control Part for the ReCall and they said they had them in stock. So I made a appointment for 2:00pm today and I arivied exactly at 2:00pm and was heading back home at 2:25pm. Quick service.

Bob
Old 12-11-2007, 03:39 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
yea, thats about how long it took me to get my rig done also. It doesn't seem to be to difficult to do the install.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:17 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I'm a little disturbed about this... Had I not seen these posts, I would have never known about it. I haven't even taken possession of my used '99 Bounder, but before I bought, I did a CARFAX on it and it show's NO RECALLS. I did the CARFAX on 27 Nov. 07.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:32 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Homer:
jdr37: Good question. I don't have an anwer, but I sure will interested in any sage advice you get on this. I have wondered the same thing and in the end; aren't we just putting a band aid on a potential serious problem. So far I have not found one dealer in my 50 mile radius that has the fusable link in stock. They all say Dec/Jan. They all want to disable my CC, what a CYA. One dealer pulled a connection off the system and said I have no evidence of leaking right now. Put it back on and advised me to check it occasionally.
dykedelta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:43 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Long:
I'm a little disturbed about this... Had I not seen these posts, I would have never known about it. I haven't even taken possession of my used '99 Bounder, but before I bought, I did a CARFAX on it and it show's NO RECALLS. I did the CARFAX on 27 Nov. 07.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Cruise control Switch is really the torqueconveror switch.I have ford Wiring schenmatic and nowhere does this switch enter into cruise control.l I bought oner for 20 and installed myself .john
Old 12-26-2007, 03:24 PM   #38

DYKEDELTA
said"Cruise control Switch is really the torqueconveror switch.I have ford Wiring schenmatic and nowhere does this switch enter into cruise control.l I bought oner for 20 and installed myself .john"

This an interesting statement could you Explain
a little more on your fix?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:31 AM   #39

NBXV - Your "Ford Recall" list has expired. I just read about the recall in Consumer Reports. Can you tell me if my coach is part of the recall: 1998 Itasca Suncruiser, Ford 460, 35wp?
Donnievc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:30 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally posted by Donnievc:
NBXV - Your "Ford Recall" list has expired. I just read about the recall in Consumer Reports. Can you tell me if my coach is part of the recall: 1998 Itasca Suncruiser, Ford 460, 35wp?
Call your Ford dealer they can best tell you if your unit is in the recall.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #41

I have a 99 F53 chasis under my National Tropical. I took the unit to local Ford dealer last winter (OCT). The service manager unplugged the wires, taped them up and said they wouldn't get any parts until at least December. I have called each month and got the same answer, no parts yet.

So today I called another dealer and they confirmed that they didn't have any and didn't think anyone in the USA had any. Then he went to explain that this part was made out of the country and none of the parts that have been sent to the US passed inspection.

So what do you folks know? I can go but would like to have it all in working order.

Mike
Old 02-12-2008, 04:08 AM   #42

w7co: I am having the same problem, no available repair or bypass parts. I am dumbfounded that Ford can get away with this. I can have one made up, but most electrical places do not want the liability. I did not hear about the refused shipment, but does not surprise me. At the very least, Ford should have to make the safety repair themselves and install. There is more to this story than we are being told.