Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2014, 10:04 PM   #1

1995 Bounder Fuse Box Problem

Hi guys,

The fusebox under the lift up dash/instrument panel started smoking today. Upon taking off the cover, the flasher that controls the turn signals, and hazards had gotten hot and melted the plastic around it. Apparently the brake lights go through there also because I now do not have turn signals, brake lights or hazards. The rest of the fuse box is fine. I removed the 2 screws holding the fusebox in place to look at the 2 wires connected to the flasher. They are intact. However I tested them, and one is hot all the time. Even with the key off. I used jumper wires to temporarily install a new flasher. It constantly flashed both turn signals and brake lights. Key was off.
Questions are:
-Is one of the wires supposed to be hot all the time?
-How is that circuit supposed to work?
-Does that control turn signals, brake lights and hazards?

Thanks Mike (I PM'd Subford on this topic also)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4669.jpg
Views:	1446
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	82093  
whit5751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Questions are:
-Is one of the wires supposed to be hot all the time? No, it should only be hot when the brakes, turn signal, or flashers are turned on.

-How is that circuit supposed to work? Flasher relay is supposed to be activated only when the brakes are applied, turn signals are used or flasher is turned on.

-Does that control turn signals, brake lights and hazards? yes, it controls all three

All the above information is based on the belief that you have a 4 wire system as opposed to a 5 wire system which has the turn signals flashing a different light than the brake light. In this case, the brake lights do not go through the flasher relay, but the turn signals and flashers do go through the relay.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. So the question is, why is that wire constantly hot?
Open circuit some where? With the ignition key off, why would it be constantly hot?
Old 12-28-2014, 11:08 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whit5751 View Post
Thanks for the reply. So the question is, why is that wire constantly hot?
Open circuit some where? With the ignition key off, why would it be constantly hot?
Since it got hot enough to melt, I suspect that the flasher relay wire is melted together with the hot wire to the fuse box. It will be tough to chase, but you are going to have to trace the flasher wire to find where it is coming in contact with a constantly hot 12 volt wire.

Just as a dumb question, the flashers are turned off correct? Because if they are not, you will have a constant hot wire going to the flasher relay and the hazard lights will be flashing even with the key turned off. The hazard lights have a constant hot wire going to one side of the switch.

Best of luck.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:10 AM   #5

Yes, the hazard button is off.

What confuses me is 1 wire going in and 1 wire going out. I get how the wire is only hot when you step on the brake or turn on a blinker or hazards. What I don't get is how the brakes go through a flasher? I assume when the flasher gets 12v it flashes the outgoing power. If there is only 1 wire going out, then how do the brakes go through it without flashing? Also how does it separate right and left turn signals? What am I missing here? Lol

Thanks
Old 12-29-2014, 05:17 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I hate to admit it, but now you have asked questions I cannot answer. How the wiring is setup to do this I do not know. I have never had to check the wiring before to see how it is wired for this to happen. Maybe you can tell me when you get through finding where the wires got hot and melted together.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that there is a circuit board someplace that has diodes on it that has all the wiring going to it to send power to the flasher relay to control left and right turn signals and the flasher lights. Hence the flasher does nothing more than toggle on and off and the circuit board controls how the power is applied to which system.

This is why a 5 wire system is easier to trouble shoot. The brake lights have their own wire and does not interact with the flasher relay.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
-Is one of the wires supposed to be hot all the time?
No.
Quote:
-How is that circuit supposed to work?
Power is applied to the Orange wire from by hazard switch selecting a power source. Two power sources are supplied to the hazard switch. On is hot at all times and comes from fuse #9 in the fuse panel and the other is hot only with the key in the run position and comes from fuse #7. So with the hazard switch up (off) no power it applied to any of the three wires of the flasher.
The flasher will on flash when a load is applied to the flasher by the turn signal switch over a light blue wire when a turn is selected or the hazard switch is pushed down.
The black wire goes to ground.

You more than likely have a bad Multi-Function Switch and you seem to have a missing wire.

/

Quote:
-Does that control turn signals, brake lights and hazards?
The Flasher has nothing to do with the brake lights. It does flash for the turn and hazard lamps.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #8

OK. I hate to admit it but I missed the hazard button was on. Thus the constant 12v.
I could have sworn I checked it. It is confusing because it is on when the button on top of the steering column is up. Off when down. So here is what I think happened.
The flasher obviously failed. The hazard button got accidentally pushed. Which happened first I don't know. Since the flasher failed I had no idea the hazards were on. The constant 12v heated up the broken flasher and melted the socket.
I just finished cutting the two wires for the flasher and remounting a new heavy duty flasher next to the fusebox. All lights are back to normal!
Thanks everyone and sorry for my stupidity!
Old 12-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Motorhoming since 1959 has been a learning process, stupidity is when I make the same mistake more than once. Dwight
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s MotorHoming since 1952
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, fuse box, bounder