Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2007, 01:10 PM   #1

I am new to the forum and have a couple of questions.

1 - Need to replace the tires which are 235/85 r 16 load range E on our 1996 Seabreeze 133 and am considering the Bridgestone Dueler APT from Sears. Anyone have experience with them?

2 - My build date is 10/1995 and am registered as a 1996. Would I have an OBD and where would I find it? Manual says I have it, but no one seems to know where.

3 - Bought it 5 yrs ago w/22 K miles and am now at 45 K miles. Been Shop manuall calls for 5w30 semi synthetic and the tag under the hood says 10w30 w/no mention of semi synthetic. We use Mobil 1 10w30. Any comments.

4 - Took a 3000 mile trip on I 40 and we beat the poor baby severly on the construction and expansion jts. We have Billstien shocks and wonder if it a universal experience that the ride and jarring can be reduced significantly by going to the Monroe RV shocks w/no loss of control.

5 - We have lots of roll on turning at low speeds. Would peplacing the 12 year old sway bar rubbers w/poly make a difference?

Well, maybe more than a couple of questions.

)

Thanks
Don
seabreeze133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2007, 01:10 PM   #2

I am new to the forum and have a couple of questions.

1 - Need to replace the tires which are 235/85 r 16 load range E on our 1996 Seabreeze 133 and am considering the Bridgestone Dueler APT from Sears. Anyone have experience with them?

2 - My build date is 10/1995 and am registered as a 1996. Would I have an OBD and where would I find it? Manual says I have it, but no one seems to know where.

3 - Bought it 5 yrs ago w/22 K miles and am now at 45 K miles. Been Shop manuall calls for 5w30 semi synthetic and the tag under the hood says 10w30 w/no mention of semi synthetic. We use Mobil 1 10w30. Any comments.

4 - Took a 3000 mile trip on I 40 and we beat the poor baby severly on the construction and expansion jts. We have Billstien shocks and wonder if it a universal experience that the ride and jarring can be reduced significantly by going to the Monroe RV shocks w/no loss of control.

5 - We have lots of roll on turning at low speeds. Would peplacing the 12 year old sway bar rubbers w/poly make a difference?

Well, maybe more than a couple of questions.

)

Thanks
Don
seabreeze133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:30 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will find a wealth of information here. I use Michelin's on my '96 Itasca. And I have heard the Bilsteins are a harsher ride than Koni shocks. I'm looking forward to other replies on your other questions. I was on I-40 this past summer and blew a rear airbag. I didn't think about the I-40 connection until you mentioned it.

Suggestion: If you can fill out your signature block with more information on your rig and features, the experts will be able to give more complete answers. Check some other posts to see what kind of information is usually included.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:32 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1. I think you will find the APT's are more for a Pick Up than an MH. Should probably look at the R 187's for your MH.
2. I have a 97 chassis, I found my connector by removing the dash gauge panel, it was taped up right behind the speedo.
3. The tag is correct Mobil I 10w30 is fine.
4. Monroe's can help with that. But having front end loaded close to max can help also. In our case, no way can we add more weight to front unless, wife I over eat. I am having rear air bags added for assistance.
5. Another reason for the rear air bags. Poly bushings do help also, but new rubber bushing's would even be an improvement.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Koni shocks seem to get the nood in all discussions....also larger after market sway bars....
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #6

I think the Bilstein shocks do contribute to the hard ride, but they improve handling so much it would be hard for me to part with them. As mentioned, the Koni FSD shocks seem to be the choice of many now. Replacing the sway bar bushings helps-I liked the idea of polyurethanes but it appeared I would have to drill to put them in, so I took the easy way and put in new stock ones. Even so, I think they cost about $100 from Ford, but maybe I remember wrong.
TomBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:45 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced my Michelins with Firestone. Have no issue with Michelin outside of the price. Depending on how many miles you drive per year might warrant them. Salesman just made the comment that the tires will age out before you wear them out so why pay the extra for them. I don't see much to any difference in the ride.
Mobil 1 10w30 is a good choice for oil.
We have Monroe shocks on ours. I can concur on driving I40. TEETH JARRING!!! Broke two drawer guides in the kitchen on one trip.
As far as the sway bar rubbers I can't comment. We do have airbags on the rear of ours they help alot.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote