Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question 1996 Pace Arrow 35W F53 460

I started out to take coach to our property this past weekend. The Check Engine lite blinked on and off once very fast and the engine died and came back at the same time as the lite blinked. And the Battery symbol on the dash is on and the amp gauge is about 1/3 of the way up. If I run the Generator the Gauge goes up to the middle. Still have the blinking Check Engine lite with the engine dying off. Sometimes it will pop and backfire. If it is the alternator how do you replace it short of lifting the Coach off the frame? As usual always appreciate any help.

Thanks
John
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
First you need to make sure it is the alt. that is bad.
it is not putting out, but that does not mean it is bad. You have to have 12v coming to the alt for it to work. check the feed. if it has 12v coming to the alt. and the belt is tight, then you need to change the alt. I have changed many alt. I don't remember where the alt. is on your year model. On some years it's best to jack up the MH and remove the tire. On some of the pace arrows with the alt. at the top, you have to remove the lower half of the dog house. The top half of the dog house comes right off, but you have to take and peel back the carpet around the base of the doghouse and remove the screws. There is sealant around the base, so you will have cut through it. (make sure you reseal when through) This is not a fun job, but any mech. inclined person can do it.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a failing alternator - you are running off the chassis battery and you have to fire up the generator to recharge it. As for access, can you see it with the doghouse cover off? Otherwise, its reach from underneath or over the radiator or a combination of these. I had a 96 myself, but never had to change an alternator (thank god!).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have not replaced the alternator on my F53, but to replace the belt I had to loosen the alternator upper and lower bolts. I would suggest replacing it from the top. Remove the dog house and reach across to the front of the engine area. Dive all the way in, use something to lay on top of the engine if need be. The whole job should be able to be done from inside the MH.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #5

You should have the ECU codes read to find out why the check engine light is lit. You will need a Ford OBD1 code reader such as the Equus 3145. An OBD2 reader will not do it.

You do not have an Amp gauge, you have a Volt meter.

The Alternator is on the top of your 460 engine and will not require lifting anything off the frame.

Do you have a momentary switch to connect the house batteries to the chassis battery? If you do, you can temporarily boost the voltage level of your chassis battery for starting.
mpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question 1996 Pace Arrow 35W F53 460

Where be the plug for the scan tool?
Old 06-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneldbrat View Post

Where be the plug for the scan tool?
Pictures have been posted many times. Here's one from very recently

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/start...tml#post868421
mpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #8

On my late 1996 F53 the OBD-I connector is as pictured in the previous post. The alternator can be changed by removing a small 4 pin plastic connector for the control signals and a single large lug for the ~120 amp output cable. I had to turn the front wheel to the right and slip between it and the frame to lift out the alternator, after removeing the support and tension bolts. Did this while traveling, got the replacement alternator off the web for less than $100 including shipping. There are several sizes of alternators, think mine was 140A version. Not a hard job and it took about 2 hrs, after I got the replacement part. Be sure to disconnect the battery before starting the repair.
agkirk is offline   Reply With Quote