Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #1

1997 F-53 E4OD Transmission Problem

On my latest trip my E4OD went into Limp Home Mode for no apparent reason. Comming out of the Verde Mesa NP headed for home in CA, I stopped for the night with everything working. The next morning the transmission would not get past 2nd gear. The shifts from 1st to 2nd were smooth and there didn't seem to be a overdrive gear either.

The MH is equipped with a Gear Vendor Under/OverDrive so I was able to travel at 50mph at 3400rpm for the remainer of the trip. The RV also has a Banks TransCommander which modifies the shift points. I checked the fluid and added a half quart that first day. The weather was cool too cold all the way.

Is it possible for the TransCmmander to cause the the LHM condition or do I need to head for a transmission repair shop?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #2

unplug the trans commander and have the factory harness plugged it. This transmission adds clutchs for each upshift and does not release any. Usually a flashing OD light will tell you that there is a transmission issue. Possible transmission range sensor issue also. It may need diagnosed professionally but at least you can plug the transmission into the factory harness.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #3

When mine did exactly that (only I had violent shifts) it was my VSS. Same deal, it worked/shifted fine on my way home, next morning after recovering it, left to take it to storage and had the OD light flashing and the sifting issues. Ended up being a bad ZF brake assembly, it had ran dry on trans fluid and melted the VSS drive/driven hears which are plastic.
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question...I have the same year F-53 and my OD light is flashing now too...will my OBD-I scan tool pick up transmission codes or is this something that requires a Trans specific scanner? Thanks!
"Therefore do not be anxious for tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."M 6:34
JESTIMATOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #5

If your chassis is a 460 CI and E4OD equip F53, you will need a EEC IV diagnostic tool. If you have a V10 with a 4R100, a OBD II scan tool will be needed.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is a 97 with 460 CI FI and E4OD....I have this scan tool

Equus 3143 Ford Code Reader 1981-1995 Ford OBD I
http://amzn.com/B0002JMDXQ

If this is not the one could you please provide a link to the best one to get?

Thanks
"Therefore do not be anxious for tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."M 6:34
Old 11-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTIMATOR2 View Post

Amazon.com: Equus 3143 Ford Code Reader 1981-1995 Ford OBD I: Automotive

Thanks
That looks like it would work. The transmission codes should be passed through that scan tool.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTIMATOR2 View Post

Amazon.com: Equus 3143 Ford Code Reader 1981-1995 Ford OBD I: Automotive

Thanks
That Equus 3143 Ford Code Reader is no better than the CEL on your dash as you will have to count the flashes just like you would by using a paper clip, no better. I would put it in the trash can.

The code reader to get is this one in the link below as it will read out the engine and transmission codes for you.

A scanner will also read out the voltage readings and their values of the sensors but is not necessary for reading the transmission or engine codes. A scanner will also cost a whole lot more than a code read.

Get the 3145 code reader below at any O'Reilly auto parts or at the link below.
INNOVA 3145 Ford Digital Code Reader : Amazon.com : Automotive

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
That Equus 3143 Ford Code Reader is no better than the CEL on your dash as you will have to count the flashes just like you would by using a paper clip, no better. I would put it in the trash can. The code reader to get is this one in the link below as it will read out the engine and transmission codes for you. A scanner will also read out the voltage readings and their values of the sensors but is not necessary for reading the transmission or engine codes. A scanner will also cost a whole lot more than a code read. Get the 3145 code reader below at any O'Reilly auto parts or at the link below. INNOVA 3145 Ford Digital Code Reader : Amazon.com : Automotive /
Thanks Subford...I posted the wrong link in this thread....the code reader I have is the one you recommend...which makes sense because you recommended it to me on a backfire post I had back in 2012!

I'll be posting my findings this weekend when I get a chance to work on her.

Tags
transmission