Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2019, 09:40 AM   #1

1999 Bounder Starting Issues

Hey guys,

I recently purchased my first RV, a 1999 fleetwood bounder 34v with 43k miles. I have been having issues starting it. I searched the forum and didnt see any issues exactly like mine.

When i go to start it, it wouldn't start. The rado has power, the ac mtor runs, and the running lights worked, but the engine wouldnt turn over.
If i held the aux start button, sometimes it would start.
I had an rv guy come to the house and he said its a starter issue. ($80 service call charge) he was able to start it my turning the key back and forth between the run and start positions. He said the starter is getting locked up and using the aux start was able to give it enough juice to turn over.

I changed the starter last night, and it's doing the exact same thing. It only starts when i turn the switch back and forth between run and start until it cranks over.

Any thoughts on what this is? I think i will change the starter solenoid out to see if that helps, as its only $21 to replace, and its accessible via the wheel well.

Thanks
bstash19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Verify the battery connects are clean and tight.

When you turn the key to the START position and nothing happens, do this..

Continue to hold the key in the START position, and then wiggle the gear shift lever. This will tell you if its a gear position switch.

When you replace the solenoid in the wheel well, look carefully at the connectors and wires. This is a very bad location with a lot of debris and salts that can corrode or break connectors or wires.

Change out the ignition switch. Its about $15 at Rock Auto

F53 – Replace ignition switch – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:55 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Probably the starter relay. It is near the firewall on the passenger side.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:07 PM   #4

i will try the gearshift when i get home from work. i am also going to pick up an ignition switch and starter solenoid. (ive also seen it called a starter relay).

Ill post an update after i install them.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:13 PM   #5

i got it working, but it took a bunch of steps.

i tried the gearshift trick, and it didnt make a difference.
i replaced the ignition switch, and i noticed that afterwards i couldnt get it to crank at all.
I shorted out the terminals on the solenoid switch (mounted to the frame on the passenger side, but the front tire) and the starter would crank.
i metered the ignition wire and i got 14v. (but i later found out that it dropped down to 0 if i waited a few seconds)
i went out and got a new solenoid switch at autozone.
replaced it, and it still didnt start. (this is when i realized the ignition wire dropped down to 0v)
i put the old ignition switch back in, and i was getting 14v at the ignition wire when the key was cranked.
i put all the wires back in their places, and the rv started multiple times, with no issues.

so ultimately it was the solenoid switch. i should have used my meter earlier, but it seemed like more of an ignition switch issue.

Tags
1999, bounder