Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2019, 05:28 PM   #43

Is a ‘99 F53 one on the ones that needs the grounds redone to the PCM? That led to odd shifting, didn’t it? Almost sounds like the PCM keeps reinitializing. Grounding might do something like that.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2019, 06:51 PM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Is a ‘99 F53 one on the ones that needs the grounds redone to the PCM?
I was thinking along these same lines. What would cause the PCM to constantly energize/de-energize the fuel pump relay....

The relay coil gets its 12 volts from relay 5. this 12 volts supplies a number of circuits. The PCM supplies a ground to the fuel pump relay to energize it.

SO, is it a 12 volt supply problem or a ground problem? I would put a meter on the 12 volt side of the relay coil and make sure its getting a good 12 volts.

The problem is, theres no room in there to have the relay plugged in and also take a voltage reading in the pin. May need to solder a small wire on the relay pin so you can read the voltage while its plugged in.

here is a link to the diagram on my web site:

http://1999southwind.com/DOWNLOAD/E1I02502.pdf

http://1999southwind.com/DOWNLOAD/E1I02503.pdf

and here is a link to the TSB for ECM grounding:

F53 – TSB Transmission shifting weird in 1st and 2nd gear – 1999 Southwind 35S

hook a scanner up to the ODBII connector and see if its doing anything weird..

Quote:
Waiter21: what do you think of this idea. Since the the problem is a rolling idle with stalling, how about a jumper wire on the relay to see if the problem is with the fuel pump relay circuitry.
Yes. you need to be very careful when doing this. Basically, bypass the PCM ground and supply your own ground to energize the relay. i.e. solder a wire on the relay pin, then plug the relay back in to the socket, then ground the wire. the relay should energize.

Pins 1 and 2 are the coil. The pins I have highlighted in red are the actual contacts for the fuel pump itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FuelPumpRelay.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	271038  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:21 PM   #45

Here's a link to the RPM video....
99DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:43 PM   #46

DS99: you might want to call a dealer and see if this tsb was done.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:18 AM   #47

Did anyone see the RPM video?
Old 01-02-2020, 10:47 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99DS View Post
Did anyone see the RPM video?
I just watched it.

Have you disconnecting the wires off the throttle by-pass valve (IAC) and tried setting the idle speed manually with the throttle stop screw?

That would rule out that part of the system.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #49

Yes I did, same thing, then just turned it back. I am going to look at grounding wires today....
Old 01-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #50

Ford Super Duty Owner
Regarding the clicking fuel pump relay, I've been asking myself: Is the clicking (fuel pump turning off/on) causing the fluctuating problem , or is the fluctuating causing the fuel pump relay to turn on/off. i.e. low rpm causing fuel pump to turn off.

The easiest way to answer this is to remove the relay and then use a jumper wire to jump across the terminals so the fuel pump runs all the time. Those would be terminal 3 and 5 in the relay diagram I posted.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:34 PM   #51

I agree, but for safety sake I would use some spade connecters the same size as the ones on the relay. Run the wires out away from the relay box.

Could use spade connectors and wire and extend the relay out of the relay box. If you are careful not to short out the relay connectors you could measure the voltage on the pcm side of the relay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Regarding the clicking fuel pump relay, I've been asking myself: Is the clicking (fuel pump turning off/on) causing the fluctuating problem , or is the fluctuating causing the fuel pump relay to turn on/off. i.e. low rpm causing fuel pump to turn off.

The easiest way to answer this is to remove the relay and then use a jumper wire to jump across the terminals so the fuel pump runs all the time. Those would be terminal 3 and 5 in the relay diagram I posted.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:36 PM   #52

I'll try that first thing in the morning, great idea!
Old 01-04-2020, 01:17 PM   #53

Well, made the little paddle wire connectors.... AND never got to use them, started it and for some reason.... NO clicking? WTF
Old 01-04-2020, 04:34 PM   #54

What about the idle?
Old 01-04-2020, 07:02 PM   #55

Still exactly the same.... Geesh
Old 01-04-2020, 08:25 PM   #56

Try bypassing the relay anyways to see what happen to the idle.

Tags
1999, dutch star, f53