Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2016, 01:52 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thumbs up 1999 F53 leaning to the Right- Fixed

So--I just got back from the Spring shop.
My rig was lower on the right side rear by 1-3/4". It was always leaning, but I think it was getting worse as time went on. The front was off by 1-1/4".

They added a leaf spring and a 1/2" spacer to the rear. Perfect $443. They didn't have to do anything to the front, as the rear brought it up. I can tell the difference.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
So--I just got back from the Spring shop.
My rig was lower on the right side rear by 1-3/4". It was always leaning, but I think it was getting worse as time went on. The front was off by 1-1/4".

They added a leaf spring and a 1/2" spacer to the rear. Perfect $443. They didn't have to do anything to the front, as the rear brought it up. I can tell the difference.

Interesting, seems like every one of these F53 chassis I look at lean over to the right side. Mine is a 2012 and does the same thing. Why is that ?

Old 09-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Orange View Post

Interesting, seems like every one of these F53 chassis I look at lean over to the right side. Mine is a 2012 and does the same thing. Why is that ?

The spring shop didn't know either, however I have read about the same thing previously on this forum somewhere. I'm glad I did it and thought the price was fair for what they did. I stayed and watched the whole job.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:32 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Orange View Post

Mine does the same thing. I have no idea why, but am very curious if someone has a technical answer on this lol.

I reviewed my coach layout, and it seems pretty balanced, I mean, even loaded, the storage areas seem to be pretty balanced. The coach still leans. Not so much when parked, but when driving.

I plan to cure with airbags, I have read and this is a fix.
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:40 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Mine does the same thing. I have no idea why, but am very curious if someone has a technical answer on this lol.

I reviewed my coach layout, and it seems pretty balanced, I mean, even loaded, the storage areas seem to be pretty balanced. The coach still leans. Not so much when parked, but when driving.

Here is what I noticed on mine when parked mine looked level. When driving feels like the driver side is higher then the passenger side. I figured out it is the crown of the road, I assume it is to allow for water run off. My RV is wider then a car and this width enhances the effect. One way to know for sure if your RV is leaning is to measure the ride height. On a flat level surface, measure from the ground to the bottom of the frame in the same spots on both sides, near the axle centerlines.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post

Crown of the road. Natural tendency for chassis to twist from torque of engine. Left front up, right rear down. Think loaded big rig or drag racer.
Crazeee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:01 AM   #7

I took my rig to a local spring shop thinking I needed a right front spring also. He walked around my rig and took some measurements at all four wheel well opening to the ground. My right rear was the lowest. He suggested a helper spring on the right rear. The cost was just under $500 for everything, about a year ago. It does make a big difference. It also scrapes the rear end less often on driveways.

I tried to get my rig weighed at all four corners but couldn't find anyone able to do it.

I asked him the same question; why is leaning ?
His answer; Look at what's mounted on the right side of your rig, that's not on the left; Large Propane tank, refrigerator and contents, kitchen cabinets, pantry and contents, furnace and most of the bed mattress, and who knows what the water tank layout is hidden in the depths. It's leaning to the right because it's loaded heavily to that side.

Mike
mxw1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53