Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
1999 Ford V10 F53 - chirp

Been to the Ford dealer twice now and have not located the source of this "rotational" , whoop whoop, chirp chirp, medium pitch noise..It sounds like something dry but they have lubed every point on the chassis twice. They believed it to be caused by the left front chrome wheel cover and repositioned it...Chirping remained...The noise does not occur until I run for a while, then it's pretty steady at low speeds, 5-20 mph. It seems the noise is gone at high speeds but that may be because it is being drowned out...The dealer has heard the noise and been all over the chassis and can't find anything.
I know this is probably not the most productive use of our forum but maybe, just maybe, I'll get some better ideas.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most of the time, I found this was caused by the brakes or wheel cover.I would test again by driving with the wheel cover off.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks GA, I'm certain the brakes are not involved as hitting them hard or just riding them have no affect on the noise...
I'll definitely run without the covers when I know the noise is there...
Old 09-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
It sounds like the serpentine belt tensioner...
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Rick...Had Ford check that...No problems with it..Also, the chirp/whoop tracks to the drive train, not engine rpm...

Tags
f53, ford, v10