Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2015, 05:47 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
2000 F 53 Chassis

I fear getting into this because of what the problem might be. On my way home this weekend I experienced what seemed like misfiring, fuel starvation ...... In my effort to find out what it might be I found three possible solutions or I should say three possible problems. At about 55 MPH's the bus shuttered a bit and seemed to lack power. Not to any great extent but it was noticeable. The three problems from all I have read are plug/wires, fuel pump or a filter. Seems like the easy/cheap route is the filter. I am game to try this but I have no idea where the pressure switch is. I searched youtube and it showed the switch location in cars but I have no idea where it might be on our '01 Bounder. The actual changing of the filter doesn't seem like a big challenge, although I admit I have never done it.

Solution #2 is the pump. I'm just not sure that my engine (2000) falls into the category where they basically had to change it at some point after 25K. The issues I have read about refer to the mid to late 90's.

Lastly the plugs or wires. Are there any tried and proven methods of finding the correct solution without doing all three ? I am not the original owner and I have no idea what has been changed out on this unit so if that was to be a question for me, I have no answer. If you have questions I'll do my best to answer and provide whatever info I can.

This is the first time this issue has been noticed. Mileage is about 55000.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 07:40 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
I fear getting into this because of what the problem might be. On my way home this weekend I experienced what seemed like misfiring, fuel starvation ...... In my effort to find out what it might be I found three possible solutions or I should say three possible problems. At about 55 MPH's the bus shuttered a bit and seemed to lack power. Not to any great extent but it was noticeable. The three problems from all I have read are plug/wires, fuel pump or a filter. Seems like the easy/cheap route is the filter. I am game to try this but I have no idea where the pressure switch is. I searched youtube and it showed the switch location in cars but I have no idea where it might be on our '01 Bounder. The actual changing of the filter doesn't seem like a big challenge, although I admit I have never done it.

Solution #2 is the pump. I'm just not sure that my engine (2000) falls into the category where they basically had to change it at some point after 25K. The issues I have read about refer to the mid to late 90's.

Lastly the plugs or wires. Are there any tried and proven methods of finding the correct solution without doing all three ? I am not the original owner and I have no idea what has been changed out on this unit so if that was to be a question for me, I have no answer. If you have questions I'll do my best to answer and provide whatever info I can.

This is the first time this issue has been noticed. Mileage is about 55000.
OK, sounds like the same thing I encountered.
Short story.....all I had to do was replace the coils (Accel's) and plugs.
Problem Gone. This happened with appx 45,000 miles on the unit.
Text me and we can discuss my troubleshooting process.

Now, to start.....troubleshoot:
1. Get a code reader and check for codes. For misfires (typical issue) you will see P0300 to P0310. Other codes may also point you to a problem elsewhere.
2. Fuel filter...easy change and cheap fix. Use the right tool and you will probably loose a little gas when the pressure releases some gas. Be sure to orient the filter properly. Check old filter for clog issue.
3. Fuel Pump, easy check...just hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fitting on the fuel rail and check your fuel pressure as you experience the 'stutter' problem. There are pressure specs under various engine conditions of driving. A fuel pump change is NOT a job you would want to tackle.

There are also other issues that can be evaluated, but let's get some basic info and go from there.
Check codes and let us know........................
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:28 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As winnie32v probably coils might as well change plugs at the same time. You can change the fuel filter to see if that cures your problem. Most likely not but won't hurt. Whoever does the plug change make sure the plugs are torque to Fords spec and use the new plugs that are plated.
BTW, The V10 does not have plug wires the are coil on plug, COP.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis