Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #1

2000 Ford F53 Georgie Boy Pursuit speedometer & Odometer no longer working

Hello, I have a 2000 Ford F53 Georgie Boy Pursuit at the end of last season my speedometer & Odometer stopped working. Everything else on the instrument cluster are working fine. Does anyone have a recommendation for a DIY'r? The best I can determine is the speed sensor is located on the top of the rear differential. Is this the sensor for the speedometer, and is there any thing I should test either here, at the transmission, or the instrument cluster....

I will barter with cooking tips :-)

Thank you...
Chef gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #2

If this is a 2000 F53 chassis, the speedometer receives the signal from the ABS module. Reading through the pinpoint test for the speedometer for F53, it is basicly having you check circuit 679 gy/bk. If they are good and the ABS module has no DTC's, then replace the cluster. However, it will need to be determined if the ABS module has any DTC's or a light on. It would be also recommended to unplug the speed control and determine if that has any affect. I had the rear abs speed sensor go out on my motorhome and my speedometer still worked. I believe the PCM will infer a value if there is an ABS fault. It will infer this from either the front speed sensor from the ABS or the transmission OSS.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
The sensor in the rear differential is the one the ABS system uses for the speedometer. It will start usually with a low speed erratic speedo and the possibly an ABS light and/or check engine light as the PCM uses this sensor data for transmission slippage. I do replace a lot of the rear differential sensors. Do not cheap out on this one though. Ford or premium NAPA (usually stamped "Ford" on the part in the box) or similar. No Autozone crap. If that does not work you will need a scan tool, perform diagnostics and if the cluster is bad there are a few facilities the can repair yours rather than new.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv8outboard View Post
The sensor in the rear differential is the one the ABS system uses for the speedometer. It will start usually with a low speed erratic speedo and the possibly an ABS light and/or check engine light as the PCM uses this sensor data for transmission slippage. I do replace a lot of the rear differential sensors. Do not cheap out on this one though. Ford or premium NAPA (usually stamped "Ford" on the part in the box) or similar. No Autozone crap. If that does not work you will need a scan tool, perform diagnostics and if the cluster is bad there are a few facilities the can repair yours rather than new.
The PCM uses the data from the TSS and OSS for slippage on a 2000 chassis. I believe it is the same for a 99 chassis also but I have some conflicting data. However, im pretty sure my 99 chassis has both sensors. I would have to confirm that though. The rear speed sensor is used for ABS operation and speedometer operation but this speedometer receives the signal from the ABS module. The Ford sensor is not that expensive.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #5

Check the fuses. there are at least 2 fuses that it could be. I had one blow for no reason on my old rig and it did exactly what you are describing.
AWMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWMIII View Post
Check the fuses. there are at least 2 fuses that it could be. I had one blow for no reason on my old rig and it did exactly what you are describing.
^ Ditto.

It's a common Ford thing, not limited to the F53 chassis, I had a neighbour knew which circuit to interrupt on his F350 so it didn't log miles. He knew from the RPM what speed he was doing so on the highway he'd shut it off.

Good for his lease end value, not so good for the person who bought a 3 year old "low mileage" truck with 350k miles on it.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #7

Wow, thank you everyone, these are all great suggestions... I really appreciate the helping hand. Now to figure out the specifics on the fuse block... I don't have a key to tell what each fuse protects...
Chef gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #8

Check the ground wire from the engine battery to the frame. I cleaned then used a star washer and no more problems withe speedometer.
1killowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
The PCM uses the data from the TSS and OSS for slippage on a 2000 chassis. I believe it is the same for a 99 chassis also but I have some conflicting data. However, im pretty sure my 99 chassis has both sensors. I would have to confirm that though.
I saw this response stated by a retired Ford transmission engineer related to a question I asked to my sloppy 1999 F53 shift pattern. Upon an inspection of my transmission, I found bosses where the sensors would have been installed but there were no sensors.

Found it.........

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/stran...-260273-2.html

"Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star
The adaptive learning process is when the vehicle will learn your driving style, your inputs, etc. It is a way to compromise between those that are aggressive drivers vs. those that are more "normal" drivers. If you drive aggressively the rig will shift more aggressively. This is more common to see in trucks/cars as we typically see them being driven more aggressively. With it only occurring on occasion I do not see this being your issue. Curious on the shift kit itself... I do not see many used for these vehicles.

That may be your observation, but from someone who worked on this software at Ford I can tell you that is NOT how it works.

The adaptive software does not look at how you drive. It only looks at how long each shift takes from command to completion. It then stores an adjustment to the pressure for the next shift at that speed and load to bring the clutch slip time back to the ideal time that the calibration engineer programmed into it.

A more aggressive driver will tend to fill in the adaptive tables in the higher speed/load region, while a more "normal" driver will fill in the lower speed/load portions. If a vehicle is driven by a "normal" driver, and later by an aggressive driver, the aggressive driver will not modify what was learned when the "normal" driver was in control.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #10

Similar problem

I have a 1999 f53 in an airstream land Yatch. I lost the speedometer and at the same time the ABS light as well as the Check engine light came on. It also star tuned shifting erratically. Took the RV to Ford Dealer. They said they replaced a switch in the steering column and the ABS module was bad. Ford does not have any replacements and I haven't been able to find a used one. Does any one know where I might be might get the old ABS module rebuilt? Also if I am unable to get the ABS module repaired will the speedometer function and speed sensors function?
Usmcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
BBA-Reman. I have had them due ABS units and just got back a 2004 Ford instrument cluster. They are very good. They have some good information on their web site.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:51 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
speedo not working

We just finished a 3200 mile trip in our 2000 Holiday Rambler on a 1999 F53 chassis and had the speed sensor go out on us during the trip. The transmission went to 4th as a default gear. I had a code reader with me and it identified the problem as the VSS. Couldn't find one where I was, so i pulled the old one (1 bolt on top of the Differential(, cleaned it off and it worked fine until I could get to a Ford dealer. the part was about $50 and it took about 10 minutes to replace. Bring the old one with you to make sure you get the right one.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:38 PM   #13

Several years ago the speedo quit working on our 2000 coach, problem was the sensor located on the front upper left side on the differential housing. Replaced it and speedo worked again.

If I recall when speedo wasn't working the OD off light was flashing on the column shift handle.

Good luck with your fix & Safe travels...........

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote