Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2019, 04:44 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
2000 v-10 sounded like it was blowing air

Hello, last time out getting on the freeway RPM pushing 4000 when it up shifted it sounded like a puff of air for a split second when up shifting. I was concerned maybe I am getting a loose spark plug (coach has 55k) on it. Has anyone ever heard this on your early V-10's? I figured if a plug has come loose it wouldn't last out the trip before it blew out I would think.

I've only put about 3k miles on this coach (I'm the 2nd owner) so I don't have any real experience driving this rig. I know I could remove the dog house & check it out, but haven't done this before. Appreciate any ideas, maybe I'm just a little paranoid, thanks again
lincolnmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2019, 05:57 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you did blow a spark plug it's not something that will come and go. If it's gone you'll know. Taking off the dog house would solve the mystery if that's what it is.

It might of been the clutch fan kicking on and off. They can make a sound like wishoooing of air.

Mine is held down with a clip at the end of the house turned with an allen 5/16" wrench.
There's also two screws coming in at the front down by the floor holding the two front corners down. Ours is a 2014 unit so yours being older might be different but I doubt very much.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:10 PM   #3

I was going to suggest the same thing as above, may have been the clutch fan kicking in at the moment it shifted. When it does, it gets loud.

A blown out plug would be heard at lower RPMs as a pop, pop, pop.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:03 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Question

Thank you, when I can I will pull the dog house & run it. I probably won't change out the plugs at 55k but maybe I should being there almost 20 years old?
Old 09-14-2019, 05:27 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
It sounds like the fan clutch, but I'd suspect it would stay engaged for more than a split second.

As for your 2000 Ford F53, there is a major recall related to the Cruise Control, and a few TSBs that you may be interested in seeing if they are complied with. I'd recommend taking your VIN number to any Ford dealer and ask them if the Cruise Control recall applies to your VIN. This is very important as this can cause your vehicle to catch fire, even if its sitting in storage.

The TSBs are something to be aware of, Transmission shifting, water ingestion, vibrations at certain speeds, etc.

1999 Southwind 35S – Southwind by Fleetwood – sporting its new paint job

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:21 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Waiter21, I will have it checked
Old 09-14-2019, 09:54 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Maybe you need to clean your MAF sensor.
If it is dirty, it will give a false signal to the ECU, causing a lean condition. This can cause "popping" when it shifts.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pulled the cover (thanks TeJay for the 5/16" allen head tip) checked out the plugs nothing appeared loose, no residue etc around the plugs all dry. Must have been the fan as suggested. Noticed at the back of the intake on pass side a hole going straight down into the head with a threaded hole for a bolt near the hole, kind of strange. Part of the intake manifold gasket goes around the hole but its just open. Must not go anywhere, & I would presume its the "nature of the beast" Thought it should be plugged at least with a rubber plug to at least keep anything from going down the hole??? Thanks again'
Old 09-16-2019, 04:38 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Noticed at the back of the intake on pass side a hole going straight down into the head with a threaded hole for a bolt near the hole, kind of strange. Part of the intake manifold gasket goes around the hole but its just open. Must not go anywhere, & I would presume its the "nature of the beast"
Thats normal. The heads and gaskets are identical. What you are seeing is a water passage when the head is mounted on the drivers side. That passage is plugged when the head is used on the passenger side.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:10 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Waiter21 there was no plug on mine, next time I have the cover off I will put a rubber plug in it.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:13 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
The plugs are located on the front (rear) of the head, they are two small allen head water plugs that block this hole when its used on the passanger side.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:31 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I think were talking to different holes in the head, the hole I'm talking about is about 3/4" ID non threaded. It goes straight down thru the head. Also had a threaded bolt thread flush about 5/16" (I didn't measure either hole), anyway probably not a big deal as it looked clean & dry, just thought it ought to be plugged, thanks
Old 09-19-2019, 06:44 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Take a look at this short article on my site, it explains the mystery hole. Basically its a coolant galley thats cast into the head. Its not used when the head is mounted on the right side..

The plugs I mentioned would be on the back side of the heads. They don't plug the coolant galley, they actually plug oil galleys. These galleys supply oil to the chain tensioners when they are on the front side of the engine.

F53 – Whats that hole on right rear of my engine – 1999 Southwind 35S

Tags
air