Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #1

2001 chassis

I am looking at a 2002 Winnebago 35U on a 2001 Ford V-10 chassis. Curious of known issues for this chassis and if it is powered well enough to pull a small toad up/down the mountains here in the west.
cpd520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #2

Take a close look at all the exhaust manifold studs. They have a tendency to break. That is about the only known issue with a are occurrence of spark plugs stripping out of the head. The new spark plugs AGSF22WM have twice the amount of threads that will prevent this from happening. Im not sure when the plugs were updated but worth a look. If they only have a small portion of thread with a smooth sleeve to the bevel, have them replaced with the newer style.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Community Administrator

I had an 01 35U Chieftain. Put about 60,000 miles on it to 49 States and all 10 Canadian Provinces. Towed a Saturn and never was at a loss for power considering that it is a gas coach. It will take you wherever you want to go. I had a slight leak in the power steering that I had replaced under an extended warranty ( otherwise I may not have bothered with it ). There were some issues with spark plugs but not on mine.
Good luck and enjoy.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
The new spark plugs AGSF22WM have twice the amount of threads that will prevent this from happening. Im not sure when the plugs were updated but worth a look. If they only have a small portion of thread with a smooth sleeve to the bevel, have them replaced with the newer style.
You sure about that? The plugs were not the problem, it was the number of threads on the head...

If the plugs are original, there is a procedure to get them out -breaking them loose, soaking overnight in penetrating lube, and slowly extracting them. Putting them back is a hand tight job, then torque to spec with the appropriate tool (an inch-lb wrench is what I had to use). Plug improvements are plating to keep the plugs from welding themselves to the heads, but I know of no type of "fix" that results in more thread contact...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2001 chassis with V10, 37' coach, and tow ~5000 lb Jeep around. The V10 is a high revving motor but it gets the job done.

There are threads specifically addressing the performance of this combo.

Also check out the engine tune options.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
You sure about that? The plugs were not the problem, it was the number of threads on the head...

If the plugs are original, there is a procedure to get them out -breaking them loose, soaking overnight in penetrating lube, and slowly extracting them. Putting them back is a hand tight job, then torque to spec with the appropriate tool (an inch-lb wrench is what I had to use). Plug improvements are plating to keep the plugs from welding themselves to the heads, but I know of no type of "fix" that results in more thread contact...

Yes very sure. Just did one thread repair and spark plug replace on a 1999 last week. Used the newer spark plugs with longer threads. The only way that would work is if the threads in the head were there.

The plug removal you just stated is for 3V 5.4L. That method does not seem to work all that well. I get the engine as hot as I can get it and quickly remove 2 coils. Use my electric impact gun and zip them out. The pulses of the gun breaks loose the carbon bond. Extremely effective and virtually all spark plugs come right out. After the 2 plugs are installed, get the engine hot again and go to the next 2. Keep going until all 8 are replaced.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #7

Quote:

Also forgot to mention is that I used a bore-o-scope on the stripped thread hole for an inspection. I could see threads all the way down.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just made a trip to Lake Tahoe pulling a toad on a dolly. The highest summit was 8100 ft. was down to 35 MPH at 4500 RPM. The coach performed good with no hiccups.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
we went out west in 2007 2008 and 2009. I have the same exact engine as yours. We have a 35 ft and pulled a 2002 Civic. We had no problems with the mountains in Montana, Wyoming, Utah and Idaho. The problem with the plugs was because Ford only had 4 threads in the heads on this engine. Most people had no problem with the plugs as long as they were removed and installed correctly.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd520 View Post
I am looking at a 2002 Winnebago 35U on a 2001 Ford V-10 chassis. Curious of known issues for this chassis and if it is powered well enough to pull a small toad up/down the mountains here in the west.

To answer your question, YES. We live in Nevada and travel frequently in in areas of 6%+ mountain grades and we always make it over the summit with our 2000 v10 powered coach.

Granted we don't go blazing up the grades as our 38' coach weighs 21,230lbs and we tow a 3,600lb vehicle.

The Winnie is a nice coach and you should enjoy it.

Good luck with your decision on making the purchase...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #11

UPDATE

The Adventurer deal fell thru, but we did purchase a 2004 Suncruiser 33V on a Workhorse chassis.

Thanks everyone for the input.
cpd520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
James, I'm going to have to respectfully continue to disagree that plugs with more threads solves this issue. I've done 3 different sets of plugs on a 1999 and never saw a difference in thread depth on the plugs.

QA Traveler references the same thing that I do, referring to the 1999 vintage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
The problem with the plugs was because Ford only had 4 threads in the heads on this engine. Most people had no problem with the plugs as long as they were removed and installed correctly.
I've done at least 4 sets of plugs on the 1999 motor... (Don't ask why)

Here's another reference:
http://fords.kilonet.org/krewat/v10-faq.html

Quote:
Common complaints/problems with the V10:
Spark plug blowout - Considered "common" but statistically insignificant, this was a huge PR problem for Ford. All modular motors were susceptible to this problem. Some information became available to me but because of it's legal nature, could not be discussed on FTE. I will not go into the specifics, but for now, there are a few major points:
  • 3-4 threads were initally used for the spark plugs in the cylinder heads.
  • Initial Ford reaction was to change the torque procedure at the factory, apparently to reduce over- or under-torque. This was around the 2000 timeframe.
  • Late in the calendar-year 2000, Ford altered the head to include an "alignment feature" that reduced cross-threading or incorrect torque at the factory.
  • Late in the calendar-year 2002, Ford increased the number of threads in the head to approximately 7-8 threads, called "long-thread" heads.

I now have a 2005 V10. I haven't touched the plugs in it yet, as it's got 21k miles on it. The issue with the 2005s seems to be that the spark plugs get stuck in the bores and require special tools...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
a 2005 V10. I haven't touched the plugs in it yet, as it's got 21k miles on it. The issue with the 2005s seems to be that the spark plugs get stuck in the bores and require special tools...[/QUOTE]

You are right. the spark plugs are a two piece design. The spark plug threads in the combustion chamber get "crudded up" and when you try to screw the spark plug out, the spark plug breaks apart. Champion has solved this problem with a one piece design for their plugs.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #14

Quote:
James, I'm going to have to respectfully continue to disagree that plugs with more threads solves this issue. I've done 3 different sets of plugs on a 1999 and never saw a difference in thread depth on the plugs.

I will find out tomorrow for sure. I plan on changing the plugs in my 99. Since none have blown out I will try and take a pick of the screen shot of the bore-o-scope and post it. The one I looked at was already stripped and it looked like a lot more threads than 3-4. Will update with what I find.

Tags
chassis