RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2007, 01:17 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi all!

My 2002 Damon Challenger 335 (built in Oct 2001) is on a 2001 F53 chassis (built in Apr 2001. I have 63,000 km (about 38,000 miles) on it. I presently tow a 2003 CRV auto tranny and for 4 years pulled a 93 Nissan Altima (remco pump) - both vehicle weigh around 3500 pounds.

I religiously change the oil/filter on or before 3000 miles and weigh all four corners of my rig before every trip to make sure that weight limits are not exceeded.

About 3,000 km ago, I started to get a noise in the engine - a ticking noise that seems to change in frequency with rpm. It seems to be getting louder.

I know this is a very broad question but does anyone have any idea what this might be? I want to take the rig to the Ford dealer but before I do I would like to have an idea what he might find.

I am a back yard mechanic want to be who can do some simple stuff so if there are some easy diagnostics I could do please point me in the right direction

This is a great forum which helps me immensely - thanks for sharing your experiences.

Preston

All of the best and safe driving,
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2007, 01:17 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi all!

My 2002 Damon Challenger 335 (built in Oct 2001) is on a 2001 F53 chassis (built in Apr 2001. I have 63,000 km (about 38,000 miles) on it. I presently tow a 2003 CRV auto tranny and for 4 years pulled a 93 Nissan Altima (remco pump) - both vehicle weigh around 3500 pounds.

I religiously change the oil/filter on or before 3000 miles and weigh all four corners of my rig before every trip to make sure that weight limits are not exceeded.

About 3,000 km ago, I started to get a noise in the engine - a ticking noise that seems to change in frequency with rpm. It seems to be getting louder.

I know this is a very broad question but does anyone have any idea what this might be? I want to take the rig to the Ford dealer but before I do I would like to have an idea what he might find.

I am a back yard mechanic want to be who can do some simple stuff so if there are some easy diagnostics I could do please point me in the right direction

This is a great forum which helps me immensely - thanks for sharing your experiences.

Preston

Old 03-25-2007, 06:24 AM   #3

It is anyones guess, I suppose, But I know spark plug wiring can sometimes make a pretty good snap where electricity jumps to ground. With new comoputer engine control the miss firing is hidden and you won't feel any disruption. Could a person hear it in a MH? Just a guess from afar.

Ford V10
Rapid Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:45 AM   #4

Yes, it could be so many things...valves come to mind, too.

I had a ticking noise in a Mustang V8 some time ago and they discovered a pin-hole leak in one of the exhaust manifolds - it sounded like a sticky lifter.

Ford F53
Coriaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:41 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for your replies to date on possible problems which suggest that the noise may be caused by

a. exhaust manifold leak
b. arcing ignition wires
c. Valve noise

Now for the hard part. What simple diagnostics might narrow things down a bit?

Thanks
Preston

Old 03-26-2007, 07:05 AM   #6

Had a very similiar experience with my F-53 at 43K miles. Right side rear exhaust manifold bolt had broken and what we were hearing was that cylinders exhaust valve. Very common problem on F.O.R.D.'s.
Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:24 AM   #7

Also check around fan area to make sure nothing is hanging loose. Do you hear the sound when you are sitting still and racing the engine?

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:58 AM   #8

One possibility is a worn FEAD belt, or a bad/noisy idler on the FEAD system. I've heard them get a kind of tick noise.

Probably not the noise in your case, but easy to rule out to be sure. Just take the belt off and start the motor for a few seconds. If the noise is gone, it's in the belt system somewhere. Don't want to drive it without the belt, you have no water pump, but you can run it for a bit just to see if the noise goes away.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #9

Preston, the V-10 has no plug wires so we can rule that out. Does the noise get louder when you step on the gas?
Does the noise seem like it's coming from the doghouse or just behind it, under the floor?
Does it make the noise in park or just when driving?

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:58 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Chandler!

Thanks for your note. I must admit I had not noticed that the V10 has no plug wires (shows how dependable it has been since I have not done much rooting around under the doghouse). How is the spark transmitted to the plug?

I tried to start my rig this morning without success. A couple of hours of charging did the job - here is what i found when rig is stationary (I have no tags on at the moment so can not road test it)

On startup there was no noise (or very, very low level from driver's seat with dog house cover on) in Park.
Revved engine in Park, no noise.
Placed in drive, stood on break and revved engine - noise appeared.
Placed in Park/neutral revved engine, heard noise - not as loud as in Drive
Noise seems to be coming from the rear of dog house (not behind DH)- I will have to get someone to work with me to see if we can pinpoint the location better.

It is starting to sound like an exhaust manifold leak - I will ping my buddy, who is the ultimate backyard mechanic, to see if he can help narrow it down.

Is it much of a job to replace the gasket (if there is one) on the v10? I did it successfully on an 91 Fleetwood Cambria with a Chevy 454 in it. I also have a workshop manual on a CD for the 2001 chassis although I find Ford how-to instructions seldom reflect reality. I have never looked a repairing a metal to metal leak

Have a great weekend

Preston

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chandler:
Preston, the V-10 has no plug wires so we can rule that out. Does the noise get louder when you step on the gas?
Does the noise seem like it's coming from the doghouse or just behind it, under the floor?
Does it make the noise in park or just when driving? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 03-30-2007, 09:02 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi!

AS you can see in my rely to Chandler methinks a leaking exhaust manifold may the problem. Was repairing yours a big job? What was the cost? Is a gasket used or are machined metal surfaces used to allow heat transfer? I dread taking my rig to a Ford dealer.

Have a great weekend.

Preston

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adventurer:
Had a very similiar experience with my F-53 at 43K miles. Right side rear exhaust manifold bolt had broken and what we were hearing was that cylinders exhaust valve. Very common problem on F.O.R.D.'s. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 03-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #12

Hi Preston! Just got home from work and saw your post. Ford uses what is call "Coil on Plug" or COP. Each spark plug has it's own coil and that's energized by the ECM. Theoretically, it's a much better design. More precise control over the spark (timing, dwell) and no plug wires to worry about. Generally they are trouble free and they are actually easy to work on..at least in the MH.
I think you've nailed it. I think Adventurer is pretty close. If you remove the doghouse, look for a missing stud and nut. I have seen the nuts rot off the stud too. I believe the stud is stainless and the nuts are mild steel. I may be wrong, but I had a 5.4 in the shop that had that setup..of course it was a 1998 and the newer ones may be different. Try listening to it with the doghouse off. Have your friend listen while you power brake it. If you have a small section of hose, you can use it to find the leak. Just hold one end up to your ear and pass the other end around each exhaust port. I'll bet you will A) see the broken stud, or B) hear the leak.
Let us know how you make out..
PS, don't power brake it too long at one time. You don't want to overheat the transmission.

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Old 03-31-2007, 06:10 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Chandler!

Thanks for the great info. Will let you know what happens. I guess one would have to remove the complete manifold to repair a broken stud. Are the stubs usually difficult to remove? Should I think about replacing all of the studs? Or should I just let a Ford dealer do the job?

Thanks to all who gave me some ideas of what to look for

Have great weekend

Preston
Preston

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chandler:
Hi Preston! Just got home from work and saw your post. Ford uses what is call "Coil on Plug" or COP. Each spark plug has it's own coil and that's energized by the ECM. Theoretically, it's a much better design. More precise control over the spark (timing, dwell) and no plug wires to worry about. Generally they are trouble free and they are actually easy to work on..at least in the MH.
I think you've nailed it. I think Adventurer is pretty close. If you remove the doghouse, look for a missing stud and nut. I have seen the nuts rot off the stud too. I believe the stud is stainless and the nuts are mild steel. I may be wrong, but I had a 5.4 in the shop that had that setup..of course it was a 1998 and the newer ones may be different. Try listening to it with the doghouse off. Have your friend listen while you power brake it. If you have a small section of hose, you can use it to find the leak. Just hold one end up to your ear and pass the other end around each exhaust port. I'll bet you will A) see the broken stud, or B) hear the leak.
Let us know how you make out..
PS, don't power brake it too long at one time. You don't want to overheat the transmission.

Chandler </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 03-31-2007, 03:39 PM   #14

Preston..On my way home from work tonight I was thinking about your question. (I actually DO think sometimes) and I remembered a difference between the 5.4 manifold I did and the V-10's. I think yours is more like a header. It's made of stainless and is welded together. The 5.4's was cast iron. Cast iron expands and contracts differently than stainless and I think that was the problem. I'm not saying yours isn't snapped but it is different. There is a website that is a wealth of knowledge. It's the Ford truck enthusiasts Forum. There are a lot of Ford mechanics there and there's a lot on the broken stud problem.
clic here

Let me know if this helps.

Chandler

Wife, Dee