Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #1

2001 Ford F53 ABS sensors

I see this has been covered before and I have read a few posts regarding the issue of the Ford F53 ABS sensors but have yet to find a resolve. I have a 2001Ford F53 6.8L V10 35,000 miles and a recent trip to California my ABS light came on. I did a scan with a newer bosch scan tool (OBD2) that supports ABS borrowed from Oreilly auto and there were no codes showing. When I clear the code the ABS light goes off then immediately goes back on. I then cleaned all 4 sensors, three of which were caked with fine metal shavings and junk stuck on like you would see on a magnet. Also, unless I am looking in the wrong place I cannot find a VSS (speed sensor) on the rear differential. My question is how do you know which ABS sensor has gone bad if I cannot pull codes? I have not driven it yet. If I drive it, would the ABS reset itself?
P.S. All fuses are good, shifts fine and cruise control works so I am thinking it wouldn't be the Speed Sensor.
skeeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #2

If you have 4 corner ABS sensors, the speed sensor may be in the transmission. Run your VIN thru NAPA auto parts and see what they say. My 1999 is in the transmission, up on the top left side.

I discoverd this while ordering a rear diff ABS sensor. It was bad but speed and cruise worked fine.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:01 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. I spent a long time looking under my rig again today and there is definitely no other sensor besides the 4 on each wheel. My prior 1996 F53 V8 DID have a speed sensor located in the front by the transmission but nothing on this 2001 V10. In another thread someone mentioned that they did away with the speed sensor with the V10's because the ABS acts as a speed sensor. However, I did put my VIN in and Ford shows there is suppose to be a speed sensor at the rear differential, so I am at a loss. I think its one of the sensors but unable to determine which one unless I get an ohm meter and hook it up to each sensor. The ABS sensors are pricey and I don't want to have to buy 4 if only one is bad. You would think I would get some kind of OBD code. I'm pretty handy and do all my own work but this one baffles me. Unless there are any other thoughts, looks like I may have to take it into a shop.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
isa

Triple E Owners Club
I have a 2000 Commander built on a 1999 F-53 chassis. I have replaced the VSS speed sensor several times when the speedometer was acting up along with the transmission changing abruptly. This Ford sensor BRAB-130 / F85Z-2L373-AC costs about $42 and is located on top of the rear differential housing on left hand side. It is held in place with a 1/2" bolt and also has a 2-wire cable that plugs into it.
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeattle View Post
I see this has been covered before and I have read a few posts regarding the issue of the Ford F53 ABS sensors but have yet to find a resolve. I have a 2001Ford F53 6.8L V10 35,000 miles and a recent trip to California my ABS light came on. I did a scan with a newer bosch scan tool (OBD2) that supports ABS borrowed from Oreilly auto and there were no codes showing. When I clear the code the ABS light goes off then immediately goes back on. I then cleaned all 4 sensors, three of which were caked with fine metal shavings and junk stuck on like you would see on a magnet. Also, unless I am looking in the wrong place I cannot find a VSS (speed sensor) on the rear differential. My question is how do you know which ABS sensor has gone bad if I cannot pull codes? I have not driven it yet. If I drive it, would the ABS reset itself?
P.S. All fuses are good, shifts fine and cruise control works so I am thinking it wouldn't be the Speed Sensor.
How did you get the sensors out of the wheel/rotor assy? I have the same problem you have..Thanks
Toklat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:22 AM   #6

The 4 abs sensors are located behind each wheel, easy to remove, clean and replace but my problem still exists. I have verified I have no VSS on this model year. All fuses and relays are good. Next step is to read each sensor with an ohm meter. Hopefully it is not the ABS Module.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"skeeatle".....Are the sensors all the same or are the rears different than the front in terms of mounting, wiring, etc. If they're all the same, buy one and replace the right front. If nothing changes, take the one you removed from the right front and move it to the left front. Rotate them around until you resolve the issue. Poor mans' repair.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:51 AM   #9

Thanks Dutch Star Don. Unfortunately when I look up the part numbers for the ABS sensors they reference different locations (and different pricing), even though the sensors look the same.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:10 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I also have a 2001 and have the speed sensor right where ISA said it is on the differential take another look I'm sure you will fine it.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:25 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies! I thought I would follow up with the resolve to this issue. It ended up being the Right Rear ABS Sensor. After lots of research, I found out the left and right ABS sensors are interchangeable. I bought one for the left rear, that didn't solve it so put it on the right rear, and the ABS light went out. I also found out that even though my VIN shows a 2001 Ford Chassis the rig is comprised of early 2002 parts and is a 2002 Model Year F53 (go figure). This MY does not have the speed sensor in the middle. Hope this helps others.

Tags
abs, f53, ford