Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2007, 04:47 AM   #1

I'm a newbe but have driven charter buses. I think that I have a suspension problem. On the
road, as I am passed by a large vehicle, my motorhome wants to strongly head toward the right. opposite to the passing vehicle.The steering wheel does not turn but I have to grip the wheel really hard.

Have been told that this is a common Ford problem and that I need air bags on the rear springs.
Has anyone any advice or similar problem.
Roger
bigrogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2007, 04:47 AM   #2

I'm a newbe but have driven charter buses. I think that I have a suspension problem. On the
road, as I am passed by a large vehicle, my motorhome wants to strongly head toward the right. opposite to the passing vehicle.The steering wheel does not turn but I have to grip the wheel really hard.

Have been told that this is a common Ford problem and that I need air bags on the rear springs.
Has anyone any advice or similar problem.
Roger
bigrogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:00 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't have a severe problem, but I installed air bags front and rear. I installed the front first and noticed a significant improvement. I then installed the rear and it is very stable now. I installed AirLift. I installed them mainly to compensate for the lean to the passenger side when fully loaded with water and propane.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:04 AM   #4

bigrogy, we have a 2000 F53 with tag wheels, also noticed the sideways shove, not too severe though. A few years after we bought our coach I had a Davis Tru-Trac installed on the front suspension. One end of the Tru-Trac bar attaches to the frame and the other end to the "U" clamp that holds the front axle to the spring. This arrangement prevents lateral movement of the long front leaf springs. The sideways shove has now been reduced to a slight nudge. Highly recommend the unit.

Good luck, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #5

Install a rear trac bar and you won't believe the difference. I installed the Davis front Tru Trac and it helped, but I had read that the problem was actually the rear of the coach, honestly I was not convinced the problem was actually the REAR suspension. Henderson has a money back guarantee, I figured worst case I would have to send it back and get reimbursed. Once I installed it it was amazaing the noticable difference. I highly recommend the rear trac bar...the difference is night and day.
neilnbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Bigrogy,

I too used to drive passenger coaches--Eagle models 10 and 15.

In 2001, I bought a used 2000, 33½' MH on F-53 chassis. Before buying, I test drove the MH and it seemed to handle fine (of course there was nothing in the MH at this point). Once we loaded it up for camping/travelling including 60 gallons of water, it immediately handled very poorly.

The was weight distribution. I attribute this problem to the engineers at Georgie Boy Manfuacturing who built this Pursuit 3205 s/o. To counter effect the handling problems, I installed a Mor/Ryde system and Davis TruTrac bar to the front axle, and Bilstein shocks all around.

Your 2002 might already have Bilsteins. If it doesn't have them, take my word for it, just do it. Also, Install a Davis TruTrac to the front, and a Henderson Rear Track Bar, along with a larger diameter torsion bar on the rear as well.

Unfortunately, you have coach weight which is way too close to the GVWR. Your GVWR is either 18,000#, 20,500#, or 22,000# ... compare that to the GVWR of a Motor Coach with bogy axle which is 45,000# and up.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #7

I have a 2004 Ford F53 & had Camper's World install "Steer Safe" on the front axle. Now when a truck passes there is very little 'push'. It made a big difference! The Trac Bar I just had installed also helped but I would try the Steer-Safe" or the more expensive "Safety Steer" first.