RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2005 Ford F-450 Problem - Will Idle but Not Accelerate

My Itasca Cambria Class C uses the Ford F-450 chassis. I just acquired the RV and returned from a flawless 1,200 mile trip.

I was backing the vehicle up today returning it to storage. The wheels may have slipped in mud and then my vehicle stopped. It will idle but not accelerate.

Tried to cool the vehicle down while troubleshooting the problem by running the generator and air conditioner. The generator shut down although I have plenty of fuel. The battery indicator shows the batteries to be fully charged.

I read the manual and it talks about a fuel shutoff switch located either above the brake pedal or by the kick panel by the passenger seat. There is nothing at either location that resembles the illustration in the Ford F-450 manual.

Looking for some guidance troubleshooting this problem. I don't think it is anything serious.

baron100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #2

I assume this is an F450 with a V10 3 valve engine. This engine uses a throttle by wire system. The throttle body is moved via an electric stepper motor and monitored via TP1 and TP2. On thing that was not mentioned was if you cycled the key or if there was any wrench lights or other lights that came on. A forced idle condition is usually caused by a traction control event but should be only during the slip unless there is a sensor issue. A throttle body that is sticky can cause the PCM to command idle only because the difference between the gas pedal sensors and the throttle body sensors may be more than 3 degree's. The PCM will fail safe and cause a forced idle condition. It may be necessary to have the PCM tested for any codes. Do not unplug the battery as you can erase important DTC and freeze frame data.

jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
It takes a good whack to trip the fuel shut off (if equipped). If you can get some one to help you, one person at the fuel tank and the other at the ignition switch, have them turn it to the on position but not crank and listen for the fuel pump to run. It is only going to run for a short time. The generator will run out of fuel at about 1/4 tank as not to run your engine out of fuel. As you have plenty of fuel it may be fuel filters. Back to your idle only is the amber wrench light and or check engine light on? I would also check your air filter element to see if you picked up any friendly mice. I just did a road service were overnight a mouse chewed through the paper element and made a nest. The vehicle made it a mile before it went into limp mode. I found paper from the nest it made wedged in the throttle body. took it off and cleaned it out, vacuumed out the intake and away it went. Food for thought.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv8outboard View Post
It takes a good whack to trip the fuel shut off (if equipped). If you can get some one to help you, one person at the fuel tank and the other at the ignition switch, have them turn it to the on position but not crank and listen for the fuel pump to run. It is only going to run foing or a short time. The generator will run out of fuel at about 1/4 tank as not to run your engine out of fuel. As you have plenty of fuel it may be fuel filters. Back to your idle only is the amber wrench light and or check engine light on? I would also check your air filter element to see if you picked up any friendly mice. I just did a road service were overnight a mouse chewed through the paper element and made a nest. The vehicle made it a mile before it went into limp mode. I found paper from the nest it made wedged in the throttle body. took it off and cleaned it out, vacuumed out the intake and away it went. Food for thought.
Check engine and wrench light were lit. I am going back to storage this morning to check and eliminate the possibility of the fuel shut off switch. I did confirm it is in the passenger kick panel. The generator shutting down does trouble me as I was nowhere near 1/4 tank of gas remaining. I will check the air filter element and fuel pump.

Thanks for the input!
Old 08-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
I assume this is an F450 with a V10 3 valve engine. This engine uses a throttle by wire system. The throttle body is moved via an electric stepper motor and monitored via TP1 and TP2. On thing that was not mentioned was if you cycled the key or if there was any wrench lights or other lights that came on. A forced idle condition is usually caused by a traction control event but should be only during the slip unless there is a sensor issue. A throttle body that is sticky can cause the PCM to command idle only because the difference between the gas pedal sensors and the throttle body sensors may be more than 3 degree's. The PCM will fail safe and cause a forced idle condition. It may be necessary to have the PCM tested for any codes. Do not unplug the battery as you can erase important DTC and freeze frame data.
It is the V10 engine and the wrench light and check engine light are displayed. I looked for some display on traction control but there was not one. As you say it should go away after a slip. I bought a cheap OBD and it may be an opportunity to check it out and see what codes I get.

Thanks for the input!
Old 08-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron100 View Post
It is the V10 engine and the wrench light and check engine light are displayed. I looked for some display on traction control but there was not one. As you say it should go away after a slip. I bought a cheap OBD and it may be an opportunity to check it out and see what codes I get.

Thanks for the input!
Because the lights were on, it does appear to be in a forced idle condition. Even though you press on the accelerator pedal, the PCM will not command the throttle body to open. Pull the codes and post them. As said above, remove the air filter and look at it. Take a flash light and look at the small wires in the mass air flow sensor (if you can see them). Sometimes debris get in the wires from damaged or aftermarket air filters as cause MAF issue. Once I know the DTCs received, it can lead more to a final direction.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you can eliminate the fuel cutoff as the problem. If it was tripped the engine would not run, no fuel.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a quick update. Thanks to all for your inputs.

Reset the fuel cutoff switch with no effect on fixing the problem.

Air Cleaner and sensors were not obstructed.

Could not locate my OBD Scanner so could not pull codes,

Called Good Sam Roadside Service with very disappointing results, On day two of working with them I gave up and called my American Family Roadside Service which I still had on all vehicles. They had a tow truck to me in an hour without talking to multiple people and 8 phonecalls.

RV is at Ford Dealer. They assured me they will first pull the error codes. I saw nothing that should of put the RV in a protection mode. I am hoping a system reset will clear the problem but I really want to know what caused it as the next time I may be in a remote area when it happens.

Ford Dealer is currently hammered and it may more than a few days before they can update me. Will advise at that time. Thanks again you guys are great.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just another update:

My Ford Service advisor tells me they pulled the codes and have been unable to clear something related to the throttle body. When the engine starts it goes into the idle only protect mode.

They spoke to Ford factory tech and they are trying a few things.

Shared jamesrxx951 input with Tech and he indicated he understood the issue and that the engine was within acceptable parameters.

Still Stranded on the Prairie.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #10

They didn't happen to tell you which DTC's(codes) they were. I would be interested in what was retrieved. Not much will cause a forced idle only. Typically a throttle body or accelerator pedal. But all the information can be streamed via IDS.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron100 View Post
Just another update:

My Ford Service advisor tells me they pulled the codes and have been unable to clear something related to the throttle body. When the engine starts it goes into the idle only protect mode.

They spoke to Ford factory tech and they are trying a few things.

Shared jamesrxx951 input with Tech and he indicated he understood the issue and that the engine was within acceptable parameters.

Still Stranded on the Prairie.

Could it possibly be a faulty TPS (throttle position switch/sensor)?

Just a thought--best of luck getting a fix for your problem..

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"On the Road Again, Just Can't Wait..............."

Success! Installation of a new throttle bodyfixed problem!

You guys were right on. Next time I will bring the truck to you.

Sharing the detail from the repair ticket in the unlikely event others may encounter the same problem:

"Check and advise for the check engine light coming on and the engine will only idle and not accelerate.
Hooked up computer and checked codes P2104 and P2112. Electronic throttle system. Went through pinpoint tests. Leaning towards PCM replacement.
Got Shop Foreman to recheck and went through tests but did not think it was the PCM.
Checked with Ford Hotline. Removed the fanbelt and checked for aftermarket parts. Still not working. Found throttle position sensor was aftermarket so tried a new one. Still not working. Tested power and ground to PCM, they were OK.
Load tested CKTS to TP sensor and actuator motor, circuits all tested good.
Cleaned the throttle body and retested. Still has hard codes.
Plugged in a new throttle body and the codes went away. Cleared the codes and installed new throttle body. Drove the Motorhome to verify the repair."

Although the RV was in the shop for multiple days, I am still pleased with support from my Ford dealer. It was not a simple one to trouble shoot.

Don't know about you guys but I am uneasy when my RV is not in a ready stage to travel.

What would happen if the Zombie hords were to show up and we could not escape in our RVs?

Old 08-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #13

Glad to see they fixed it. I really cannot believe they had a hard time with the 2112 DTC. Pretty much explains itself: P2112 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System - Stuck Closed. Description:This powertrain control module (PCM) fault status indicates the throttle plate is at a lower angle than commanded.Possible Causes:
  • Binding throttle body, stuck closed
  • Damaged PCM
Old 08-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #14

Thanks for the feedback on your fix.

Good luck & safe travels...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford