Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #1

2005 Ford V-10, how to improve gas mileage?

We have a 27 foot Class C Winnebago, horribly un-aerodynamic, now with 75,000 miles. "Squeaky" had 53,000 miles on it when we purchased it two and a half years ago. We are consistently getting 7.5 to 8 miles per gallon. Always running in the tow haul on position. I figure it's time for a new set of plugs, and will have a shop do that because I don't want to risk breaking any of them off. I read of some people getting in the 10 to 12 miles per gallon area which would be a 10% increase for us. Is there anything that really works as far as improving the mileage for our rig? We will be on an 8, 000 mile trip to Alaska this summer and I would like to get everything out of it I can.

Thanks.

MurphyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Drive downhill with a tailwind.
Or "pad" you figures to whatever you want.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #3

If you are pulling a tote 8 is max my parents got
powerwagon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #4

They may be using a Scan Gauge device for there calculations and reading it when its at its highest point. They may also be estimating how much gas the generator uses and may be figuring that higher the actual. That is not real MPG.

The only way to do it accurately is to track for a few thousand miles, what you put in it and how far you traveled. That's without any generator time.

You are probably right in the ball park of MPG for what you have.

I saw 11 MPG on my Scan Gauge, on a trip east off the Blue Ridge Mountains, down hill all the way. I probably average 7 MPG. I gave up checking and enjoy the ride.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Don't think plugs will help, they are good to 100,000. 7.5-8 is normal and those getting more are mathematically challenged. Slow down and enjoy the ride will get a bit better. Was looking on my fuel flow the other day southern AZ. relatively flat, and the wind, at a constant 62MPH made over 3 gallons per hour difference, wind from rear to head on. Flags were just barely standing good.

LEN
Old 03-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
MurphyMan-

I have read on iRV2 claims that Tow-Haul reduces MPG by about 1 mile-per-gallon. My experience on this coach leans in that direction, but we haven't driven enough comparative miles to say for sure.

Our experience with a first-generation V-10 (1997 E-450) in a 27-foot Class C was 8 to 8.5 MPG, towing a 2800-pound car. The coach had a Banks Power Pack installed.

Check your Ford manual for recommended plug replacement interval. It could be over 100,000 miles. Me, I would not have them replaced "early" unless there were clear signs of problems with them.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #7

If you look the higher mileage claims are for folks with shorter chassis. If you look at the specifications Ford ships a couple of rear end ratios depending on the weight rating of the chassis. Assuming you have the typical chassis for your size 7-7.5 sounds real. Trade for a 22 ft unit and you may well see more than 10. Less weight and a higher (numerically lower) rear end ratio. Anything else will provide minimal change if you can measure it.
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
If you look the higher mileage claims are for folks with shorter chassis. If you look at the specifications Ford ships a couple of rear end ratios depending on the weight rating of the chassis. Assuming you have the typical chassis for your size 7-7.5 sounds real. Trade for a 22 ft unit and you may well see more than 10. Less weight and a higher (numerically lower) rear end ratio. Anything else will provide minimal change if you can measure it.
I agree. I have a 2011 (no typo), 22K chassis, 5.38 rear end Class A that is lightly loaded. Over 27,000 miles since new it averages 6.3 mpg driving 61 mph.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Drive downhill with a tailwind.
Or "pad" you figures to whatever you want.
I agree and it helps a lot if you can go downhill with the wind both coming and going!
Old 03-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #10

Oh, and I drive 62 mph on the highway.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #11

Simple physics. Forget about aero drag. The roiling resistance of 6 tires is proportional to the total weight and air pressure in the tires (that is why the heat up on the road). You are never going to get better mileage than 8.5 mpg on a level highway with 415 cuin engine designed in 1990, in a 20,000 lb coach @ 45 mph. Think of it as the energy it tales to climb out of the hole made by the flat on the bottom of the tire. The flexing of the tire produces heat and to produce that heat takes energy. At faster than 45 mph, aero becomes a significant factor in fuel mileage.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:14 PM   #12

Everybody seems to know the grade and wind have a big effect on MPG, but the elephant in the room is fuel. I live in California and get better mileage when I buy fuel out of state. Each area seems to have different additives etc. and the MPG changes. I have verified this on trips to the NW for 15 years driving the same route and driving habits.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #13

could be "out of state" gas may not contain methanol...some states/areas mandate use up to 10% and will impact mileage negatively similar to how higher octane boosts mileage...slower flame front increased oomph per cylinder fire.
If youre changing plugs may also be wise to check resistance of plug wires while your at it. In general routine maintenance like throttle body/injector cleaners, maf sensor cleaning, air filter, oil etc could help improve mileage to some degree.
masdixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:35 AM   #14

All the fuel I ever use is laced with methanol. I have been tempted to try a couple of Tanks of pure gasoline, as it seems to be available on this trip I'm on right now, but they charging upwards of $0.50 a gallon more for it. I should do it for a couple of tank. Just to see what happens.

By the way, I log all fuel purchases into my aCar app so my tracking is very accurate. Of course, that only holds true if the tires are exactly the right size and the spedometer system is accurate.

Tags
ford, gas