Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 07:21 AM   #1

2006 Hurricane Transmission dropping into neutral while driving

That was the first symptom. It also takes a long time to shift into reverse. Sometimes when it does this strange stuff, it flashes the tow/haul light on the dash, even if its not engaged. When I got home Sunday from camping, the MH wouldn't shift into reverser at all. I had to shut it off, let it sit five minutes, then it would.

My Mechanic, tells me there was a recall, but I can't find one. Also tells me its a common problem in ford powertrains from 2004 to 2006. Now, my mechanic doesn't work for a dealer, nor is he going to fix the tranny, this is what the tranny guy they use said to him. Is he right. I have searched on here for anyone else with the same symptoms, no one seems to have it.

I would really like to find anyone else that has had this issue, and what it turned out to be.

Thanks
Dave
Stainsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 07:54 AM   #2

Can I assume the fluid level is ok and not burned?
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #3

Yes, had the fluid changed, and filter last year. The second part of the tube going to the tranny was rotten, so he flushed out the crap, replaced the tube, fluid and filter.

Fluid is clean, and doesn't smell burned.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:27 PM   #4

Did he change the external filter?
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:40 AM   #5

Ford

Some ford forums say that ford's have a saftey features that if brake lites are out it won't let you move till fixed
Greenlee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:49 AM   #6

There has been some discussion on shops using the wrong filter in the transmission that could be causing your problem.

Along with that, the blinking Tow/Haul light could be sending codes from the transmission.

Try to post to SubFord ? , he seems to be the Ford guy.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #7

Thank you all. I am not sure what filter he replaced, I assume the external. I will look for SubFord.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:59 AM   #8

OD light flashing IS a trans code. Check the codes and work from there.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:23 PM   #9

Not many folks realize some years had an external filter. The filter is a toilet paper roll type filter and is prone to clogging. If you man clean out lines he may have just clogged the external filter even more. I believe once it is clogged it cuts fluid from the cooler. I think 2006 was last year for external, not sure though. I have an external filter on my 2006.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #10

It is the internal filter that can be the wrong one. Some call for the regular transmission filter and actuall need the 4 X 4 transmission filter. The short filter sits higher in the oil and causes it to draw air.

Don't know if your year and model is affected but something like that would cause shifting issues.

If this started after the filter change, its worth looking into.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainsy View Post
it flashes the tow/haul light on the dash, even if its not engaged.
The flashing light means trouble codes have been stored in the computer's memory.
Quote:
When I got home Sunday from camping, the MH wouldn't shift into reverser at all. I had to shut it off, let it sit five minutes, then it would.
That could be a bad solenoid in the transmission. This same solenoid is also used at highway speeds, so these problems are likely to be related.

Quote:
My Mechanic, tells me there was a recall, but I can't find one.
There was never a recall on this transmission. Ever. There have been some Customer Satisfaction programs that many people think are recalls, but they are not. Those last for specific times and none of them are still in effect.

Quote:
Also tells me its a common problem in ford powertrains from 2004 to 2006.
I disagree with this.

Quote:
I would really like to find anyone else that has had this issue, and what it turned out to be.
All anyone can do is guess. If I knew what codes were stored in the computer I could give you specific things to look at. All I can tell from this is that something isn't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee99 View Post
Some ford forums say that ford's have a saftey features that if brake lites are out it won't let you move till fixed
That's not true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
There has been some discussion on shops using the wrong filter in the transmission that could be causing your problem.
That was a problem with the 1989-1998 E4OD. After that there was only one filter that would fit, so that's not a possibility here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Along with that, the blinking Tow/Haul light could be sending codes from the transmission.
It doesn't send codes, the computer detects a problem and it stores a code to tell the tech what it saw that was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
OD light flashing IS a trans code. Check the codes and work from there.
Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Not many folks realize some years had an external filter. The filter is a toilet paper roll type filter and is prone to clogging. If you man clean out lines he may have just clogged the external filter even more. I believe once it is clogged it cuts fluid from the cooler. I think 2006 was last year for external, not sure though. I have an external filter on my 2006.
A clogged external filter does NOT cut the flow to the cooler. Only 10% of the flow to the cooler goes through the filter. If the filter clogs the fluid bypasses it and 100% flows through the cooler.

2008 was the last year with an external filter. During the 2008 model year Ford changed to a much improved internal filter, eliminating the need for the external filter. The new internal filter does a MUCH better job of filtering than the previous internal and external filter setup.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:31 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mark Kovalsky,

You never cease to amaze me with your Ford transmission knowledge. What a great response for the OP.

You don't waste words. You get right to the point by alerting the readers to misinformation. The knowledge gained can more accurately be used in the troubleshooting process. Awesome!!

Thanks are not enough.

TeJay
Old 05-27-2016, 08:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
The flashing light means trouble codes have been stored in the computer's memory.

That could be a bad solenoid in the transmission. This same solenoid is also used at highway speeds, so these problems are likely to be related.

There was never a recall on this transmission. Ever. There have been some Customer Satisfaction programs that many people think are recalls, but they are not. Those last for specific times and none of them are still in effect.

I disagree with this.

All anyone can do is guess. If I knew what codes were stored in the computer I could give you specific things to look at. All I can tell from this is that something isn't right.

That's not true.

That was a problem with the 1989-1998 E4OD. After that there was only one filter that would fit, so that's not a possibility here.

It doesn't send codes, the computer detects a problem and it stores a code to tell the tech what it saw that was wrong.

Exactly.

A clogged external filter does NOT cut the flow to the cooler. Only 10% of the flow to the cooler goes through the filter. If the filter clogs the fluid bypasses it and 100% flows through the cooler.

2008 was the last year with an external filter. During the 2008 model year Ford changed to a much improved internal filter, eliminating the need for the external filter. The new internal filter does a MUCH better job of filtering than the previous internal and external filter setup.

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me, and I respect your knowledge base. I am actually taking the MH to a transmission guy, and he is going to look for codes, and see what is going on tomorrow. I will as for the codes, and I will relay them to you, to see what you think. Thank you once again.

Dave
Old 05-29-2016, 09:22 AM   #14

Well, I took the MH to the tranny guy yesterday, and, well, its cooked. Wouldn't shift into fourth or fifth almost at all, and when it did, was terrible. Drained some fluid, and burnt all to hell. When I checked it when we got back it was fine. Something else happened on the way to the tranny shop. So, unless I have a nice surprise, probably need to replace the whole transmission. Oh well, its only money.

Tags
hurricane, transmission