Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2007 Itasca Suncruiser with a 2006 F-53 V-10 chassis. It has 22,200 mi. Today I was driving along and everything was alright. I pulled over and stopped for awhile to rest.

After about 30 minutes I got on the road again. Everything was going ok for about 20 minutes when the check gauge warning light came on. I looked at my scangage and water temp was at 245. I immediately pulled over and checked under the hood. Everything was normal, coolant was at the right level and there was no boiling or smoke.

I waited about 5 minutes and continued. Water temp fluctuated between 238 and 210 until I got home. In all 22,000 mi. water temp had never gone over 212.

I have a couple of questions. This happened after a full service oil change.

1-What is the max temperature you should drive at?
2-Could this be the radiator thermostat?
3-If it is how can you check it?
4-Is it easy to DIY?
5-What else could it be?

My mechanical skills are not the best and my warranty expired.
I tried to do a search but mainly found problems with diesel overheating.

Thanks for your help.
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2007 Itasca Suncruiser with a 2006 F-53 V-10 chassis. It has 22,200 mi. Today I was driving along and everything was alright. I pulled over and stopped for awhile to rest.

After about 30 minutes I got on the road again. Everything was going ok for about 20 minutes when the check gauge warning light came on. I looked at my scangage and water temp was at 245. I immediately pulled over and checked under the hood. Everything was normal, coolant was at the right level and there was no boiling or smoke.

I waited about 5 minutes and continued. Water temp fluctuated between 238 and 210 until I got home. In all 22,000 mi. water temp had never gone over 212.

I have a couple of questions. This happened after a full service oil change.

1-What is the max temperature you should drive at?
2-Could this be the radiator thermostat?
3-If it is how can you check it?
4-Is it easy to DIY?
5-What else could it be?

My mechanical skills are not the best and my warranty expired.
I tried to do a search but mainly found problems with diesel overheating.

Thanks for your help.
Tom
Old 05-08-2008, 02:49 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Your Ford chassis is warranted for 3 years or 75,000 miles. Call your local Ford dealer.

FWIW........

Ford to extend warranty on gas engine chassis

DEARBORN, Mich. Ford Motor Company has significantly improved its service part limited warranty coverage on both new and remanufactured gas engine and transmission assemblies, increasing the terms from three-years/75,000 miles to three-years/100,000 miles, effective April 1, 2008.

"This warranty enhancement not only matches the terms of competitive automakers in the aftermarket industry, but it exceeds their coverage in a significant way," said Steve Lopez, Ford's transmission product marketing manager. "Ford has no restrictions on the application of the vehicle, whether it is a private use, commercial application or municipality."

The new warranty terms apply only to gas engines and transmission assemblies sold on or after April 1, 2008. Warranty coverage on Ford and Motorcraft remanufactured transmissions and gas engines installed by the dealer or installer begins on the date of sale from the Ford, Lincoln or Mercury dealership or a Ford factory-authorized powertrain distributor. New assemblies still need to be registered with Ford in order to obtain the full coverage of the warranty enhancement.

The warranty coverage upgrade does not affect the diesel engine warranty, which remains 2-years/unlimited miles for Complete Diesel Engine and Long Block Assemblies.

The improved warranty coverage will not result in a price increase on assemblies.

"The new 100,000-mile warranty component combined with Ford's quality, competitive pricing, outstanding availability, and no-risk core policy, provides a significant competitive advantage in the powertrain marketplace," said Lopez.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:28 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
There were acouple of posts on this forum about the same problem. I think the solution was a thermostat and cross over pipe change.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #5

TSB
06-21-15 MIL ON - DTC P1285 / P1299 - 5.4L 3V / 6.8L 3V - FALSE OVERHEAT

Publication Date: October 13, 2006

FORD: 2005-2007 F-53 Motorhome Chassis, F-Super Duty

ISSUE:
Some 2005-2007 F-Super Duty and F-53 Motorhome chassis vehicles equipped with a 5.4L or 6.8L 3-valve engine may exhibit an engine temperature gauge indicating an overheating condition with the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P1285 and P1299.

ACTION:
Performing normal engine cooling system diagnostics in Workshop Manual, Section 303-03, if it is determined that the engine is not physically overheating (coolant expulsion), install a new thermostat and crossover pipe. They have been revised for improved cooling system flow characteristics.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
7L3Z-8575-A Thermostat - 5.4L
7C3Z-8575-A Thermostat - 6.8L
3L3Z-8C368-A Crossover Pipe - 5.4L
3L3Z-8C368-B Crossover Pipe - 6.8L

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
Note: Normal would be from 190 to about 220. The actual boiling point of the system is about 262. 212 water+5 for coolant +15x3 for cap pressure =262.
auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Auto, I really want to thank you. I took the MH to Ford today and the temp shot up all the way to 245 but did not show any physical signs of overheating. They were not aware of this TSB. I can't wait to fax it to them.

I thank you again and only wish you get the same kind of help from a stranger someday that you provided to me today.

Tom
Old 05-09-2008, 05:00 AM   #7

I had a similar issue and it was the pressure cap failing ... regardless, let us know what the results were from Ford
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Picked MH yesterday from Ford. I'm happy to report everything was covered under warranty. Problem was the cross over pipe and thermostat. My service tech was not aware of the TSB until I showed him but was covered anyway.

Tom N the extended warranty is effective for vehicles bought on or after April 1st 2008. Just my luck I have 22,300 mi. on my rig already and warranty is about to expire.

Tom