Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2008, 06:16 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hello,

Some may know of our accident in May of this year, others may not but there is a post in the Fleetwood Owners section.

Frame was bent into the gas tank and the insurance company is saying it can be fixed for about $3K. There's another $estimated $50K in damages throughout the coach.

Can the frame be fixed and the motorhome be the same? Slide on the opposite side of the accident was cracked they hit us so hard. It was brand new, only 6 weeks old.

Thanks, just wondering about the frame issue right now. Still hoping it's totalled but time will tell.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2008, 06:16 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hello,

Some may know of our accident in May of this year, others may not but there is a post in the Fleetwood Owners section.

Frame was bent into the gas tank and the insurance company is saying it can be fixed for about $3K. There's another $estimated $50K in damages throughout the coach.

Can the frame be fixed and the motorhome be the same? Slide on the opposite side of the accident was cracked they hit us so hard. It was brand new, only 6 weeks old.

Thanks, just wondering about the frame issue right now. Still hoping it's totalled but time will tell.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #3

A frame can be straightened but will never have the structural integrity (strength) it had before. I would stand firm that it cannot be repaired "same as new". Being that the frame protects the fuel cell this is also a safety issue. If it must be repaired the insurance owes you the deprecation in value. This is = to the amount you would loose if you were to sell the unit with the record of damage now associated with its title.
auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I just read your post under Fleetwood. I am no expert on frame damage. But from what damage you indicated in your other post, I just can not see any solution here except for a complete replacement of this coach. There is just no way they will get this one right for you.
Have you involved any legal assistance yet? It might be some realy good money spent!!
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:47 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ISLAPP:
I just read your post under Fleetwood. I am no expert on frame damage. But from what damage you indicated in your other post, I just can not see any solution here except for a complete replacement of this coach. There is just no way they will get this one right for you.
Have you involved any legal assistance yet? It might be some realy good money spent!!
Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Absolutely agree! From your description of the coach, it sounds like its' totaled. Considering that you've lost the use of your coach, and the resultant financial burden(ongoing payments, insurance, taxes?, loss of value, etc.) clearly due to the negligence of the other driver, he/she(&insurance co.) should be held liable. You really do need to seek legal representation. It's not likely you'll be able to negotiate reasonable compensation on your own. The insurance co. will likely just offer the minimum of repairing your coach, and may offer a token $ amount to cover minor expenses, none of which will adequately compensate you for your actual expenses now and in the future, as a result of this accident.
Explore America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #6

Just a thiought before you go the route of "legal representation". Ask the insurance company if ALL the parts they are quoting for repairs are from the original equipment manufacturers.

I would bet most of the parts prices quoted by the insurance company are for aftermarket parts. If you make them requote with only OEM parts and prices I'm guessing the price will increase by 30% to 50%.

If the coach is only 6 weeks old there shouldn't be any parts that have depreciated and the full chassis and coach manufacturers warranties are still in place. It has been my experience that neither the chassis or coach manufacturer will have anything to do with aftermarket parts if they are installed.

They will probably continue to warranty the replacement parts that are OEM but even then if there are problems in the future there is a clause in the warranty that mentions there will be no coverage for abuse or damage caused by accidents.