Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2019, 09:18 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
2008 F53 steering column shakes and rattles, a lot!

This is really getting old. To the point that I will soon tear into it and see whats going on, but its a little late for that tonight and Im 3000 miles from home. So is this normal? Constant banging, vibrating, shaking and rattling of the steering column on every bump, pothole and expansion joint transmitted to the steering wheel causing so much vibration that you get tired of hanging on to the wheel? The coach only has 30k on it now, but it is 10 years old. My guess is that a new stock column mount bushing wont help much and Ill have to fabricate something. Ideas? Experiences? Thanks!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2019, 06:30 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
You have a 2010 Bay Star but we don't know the length or weight.

It's really difficult to diagnose from long distance. I'd start from the beginning and run checks on all steering and suspension parts. A good truck alignment shop can test most any of those parts to determine the extent of any wear. They can do the same with the steering column shock mounts and flex joints as well.

Any wear can be the cause of vibrations. It's not likely with so few miles but anything is possible. Even if you're not the original owner it's always possible when a chassis is lubed the tech either misses one zerk or finds one that won't take grease and lets it go. The next grease job it's also skipped cause it won't take grease. If a zerk is clogged and not taking grease it can result in difficult or little smooth movement. It sticks and when bumps are hit it jumps back and forth not working smoothly. That joint sticks and lack of quick motion is transmitted up the steering column as a jerk or static movement.

What tire pressure are you running and what size tires do you have? Those can be big factors for a lot of vibration and shimmy.

There's a few item to check and think about for now. I'm sure others will chime in and add much more.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #3

On my Bounder, what was found were several subframe support bars above the front bumper were cracked at their welds which allowed essentially the cab to bounce up / down with each decent bump. That transfered into the steering column, the seat, the brake pedal assy.

Once all were cleaned, gussetted and rewelded and painted...Mucho smoother and quieter.

Then, smaller noises were apparent. Replacing dash screws with next size bigger, putting in some plywood to double support areas near the defroster vents. Once this work was done, nice and quiet. Made a big difference to the feel of the whole RV.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok, so Im a bit tardy on getting back to this. I finally have some down time in NH to do some maint and repairs.

Its a 30’ (2901) which by all the specs I can find should have been on an 18000lb chassis, but its on a 20,500. Whats more the coach is a 2010 and the chassis is a 2008 and was first sold to Holiday Rambler. Seems kind of odd, but thems the facts.

Tires are Goodyear 245/70 19.5 647s and right now at 110. Checking the charts I can easily lower that to 90 psi and have plenty of capacity to spare. These tires max out around 4500 and I have about 3300 per front corner.

Today I had it in an alignment shop, have the front suspension inspected and lubed including the steering column zerks. Next Ill take a look at the steering column support bushing under the dash. I think I can figure a way to firm that up a bit without making things any more harsh.

Everything was good in the front end as expected and alignment was within spec except for camber and Im not going to have the axle bent to fix that - its close enough. More larer....
Old 10-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Not trying to hijack this thread, but didn't know there was zerk fittings on the steering column, how many? from the engine area or inside the coach? Thank you
Old 10-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are 9 total zerks on the chassis to grease. There's 1 on the steering column housing itself. It usually has a black rubber cover on it which is why it is often missed. The remainder of the fittings are in the obvious places like tie rod ends, upper and lower king pins, steering arm etc.

Google "F-53 chassis grease points"
Old 10-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Ok, so Im a bit tardy on getting back to this. I finally have some down time in NH to do some maint and repairs.

Its a 30’ (2901) which by all the specs I can find should have been on an 18000lb chassis, but its on a 20,500. Whats more the coach is a 2010 and the chassis is a 2008 and was first sold to Holiday Rambler. Seems kind of odd, but thems the facts.

Tires are Goodyear 245/70 19.5 647s and right now at 110. Checking the charts I can easily lower that to 90 psi and have plenty of capacity to spare. These tires max out around 4500 and I have about 3300 per front corner.

Today I had it in an alignment shop, have the front suspension inspected and lubed including the steering column zerks. Next Ill take a look at the steering column support bushing under the dash. I think I can figure a way to firm that up a bit without making things any more harsh.

Everything was good in the front end as expected and alignment was within spec except for camber and Im not going to have the axle bent to fix that - its close enough. More larer....
Yeah for sure your 110psi is like way to much for your weight and would certainly contribute to a lot of what you're experiencing at the wheel. I'll bet you could run 85psi and still have plenty of margin but I don't have your exact weights and tire charts in front of me.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnmath View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread, but didn't know there was zerk fittings on the steering column, how many? from the engine area or inside the coach? Thank you
Attached diagram from Ford Manual. Yes there are 9 grease points. The one for the steering box—while laying on the ground looking up—you have to reach up and over to feel it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F-53 grease diagram.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	263482  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joree View Post
Attached diagram from Ford Manual. Yes there are 9 grease points. The one for the steering box—while laying on the ground looking up—you have to reach up and over to feel it.
A word of caution on greasing the steering gear fitting: one or two slow pumps are plenty: don't treat it like a tie rod end and grease it until you see grease come out. If you get carried away you can damage the pitman shaft seal.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:05 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Ill check that zerk. I had the shop lube the front while I was having the alignment checked since it was up in the air anyway, and they are good, but that looks like an easy one to miss.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #11

And do we all realize that Zerks / greasing won't fix a shaking condition?
Might prevent it from reducing wear, but won't fix it once worn.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
And do we all realize that Zerks / greasing won't fix a shaking condition?
Might prevent it from reducing wear, but won't fix it once worn.
Yes we all realize that but it is something to consider while pondering the bigger picture
Old 01-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #13

I have a 2008 bay star 3305 and have noted the steering column does rattle on rough roads. I discovered the noisy aspect of this actually the brake pedal rattling against the chassis wall where it comes into the inside. Found this by lifting my foot under the pedal and the noise/rattle instantly disappeared. Now I do not concern myself over it and do not see much in the way of a fix.
FannyBayStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FannyBayStar View Post
I have a 2008 bay star 3305 and have noted the steering column does rattle on rough roads. I discovered the noisy aspect of this actually the brake pedal rattling against the chassis wall where it comes into the inside. Found this by lifting my foot under the pedal and the noise/rattle instantly disappeared. Now I do not concern myself over it and do not see much in the way of a fix.
If this is a bosch hydromax, there is a plastic bushing were the brake pedal pushrod inserts into the master cylinder. If this is worn, the pedal will rattle. Cheap fix.

Tags
f53, steering