RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
If you have a fluid passage that is holding pressure when you tilt the transmission down in front, as you would when you top a hill, It could easily cause a big drag on the drive train. It also could be a issue with clearance with the internals of the transmission. When you pull a hill the trans. temp goes up. If something is too tight it could easily start to bind. We used to install bearing races in engines and heated the race in hot oil to make it swell so that it could go over the shaft. same principal.
That didn't happen. Those passages are under high pressure. If something was plugged, there's no way would climb a hill.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv8outboard View Post
does it have a "hill decent" switch? I know the f series has that option.
yes it has one.

mike 4275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #31

problem fixed

It was the converter after all what was happening was ford has a problem with the converters and they are back ordered the baffles inside are coming apart so while going up a hill the converter get hot and baffles start coming apart and starting down the grade its basicly plugged up sorry for taking along time to get back but i just got it back after 1 1/2 months. Thank you all for your help.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #32
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update now maybe there won't be as much going on when opposing opinions are offered.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #33

There's nothing wrong with opinions but I'm still not buying it. It goes up a hill just fine but won't go down without flooring it. There's no logic with that statement. It doesn't take power to go down hill. You can turn off the engine and coast down gaining speed all.the way.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #34
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
It goes up a hill just fine but won't go down without flooring it. There's no logic with that statement. It doesn't take power to go down hill. You can turn off the engine and coast down gaining speed all.the way.
I'll give you that much that it does not sound like it make sense but once the cylinders get goggled up with exhaust gases then it would in effect become a engine brake.

All that matters for purposes of this thread/question is that the problem is solved and there were a lot of suggestions/opinions offered, and that the final solution was posted.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 12-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I'll give you that much that it does not sound like it make sense but once the cylinders get goggled up with exhaust gases then it would in effect become a engine brake.

All that matters for purposes of this thread/question is that the problem is solved and there were a lot of suggestions/opinions offered, and that the final solution was posted.
I'm still calling bs to the whole story. For it to.become an engine brake it would need to.become completely plugged. That can't happen in that short of time. He stated it was the baffles in the converter. A converter has no baffles. Just a honeycomb chamber with exotic metals to cause a reaction and reduce emissions. No baffles or moving parts. Cut an old catalytic converter apart and take a look. When a converter gets plugged after many miles, the engine has very little power and won't make it up a hill but will go down with ease. Please don't take my comments as coming from a know it all but I work on this stuff every day.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #36
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh well "that's my story and I'm sticking to it".
See My RV Upgrades
Old 12-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Oh well "that's my story and I'm sticking to it".
Old 12-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #38
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
I'm still calling bs to the whole story. For it to.become an engine brake it would need to.become completely plugged... Please don't take my comments as coming from a know it all but I work on this stuff every day.
In post #20,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike 4275 View Post
Also letting some of you know this is not a bs story may i also let you know when i received this coach it had a leak a tranny line while repairing the loose fitting they noticed a hole in the tranny case one of the torque converter weights had broke loose and came thought the case. ford sent a new case and they took the tranny parts from old tranny and put in new case and new torque converter were installed i let the ford center know this and they will be looking at it as well. thanks again
the OP was taking about transmission and torque converter problems. In his followup I took it that he was talking about the torque converter again.

Maybe you are a tad fast to judge?
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
I will agree with rodz. If a converter becomes plugged, and they will, your first obvious indication is no power because the exhaust can't get out. So what the OP said still does not add up. I don't doubt that it happened just as the OP described it. Nobody is saying that it didn't happen but as explained it's still a bit confusing.

There also may be other factors that contributed to what happened and we are either not being told or nobody figured out exactly what those other factors were.

Here's just one possible issue. Years ago while teaching we had a customer who had no power. All was good at idle and slow speed but under power no go. I was fairly new at the diagnostics part of things but eventually we decided to just change the muffler. That helped some but we eventually determined that an inner part of the exhaust pipe had rusted then collapsed closing off the exhaust.

I don't believe that happened in this case but one never knows how or what else might have also contributed to the OP issue.

Trying to diagnose a problem using e-mails and not actually being there is difficult. Also sometimes there is confusion in correctly stating the problem.

It is good that the problem was solved.

TeJay
Old 12-15-2014, 05:38 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
In post #20,

the OP was taking about transmission and torque converter problems. In his followup I took it that he was talking about the torque converter again.

Maybe you are a tad fast to judge?
The title of this thread is catalytic converter. That doesn't have baffles and neither does a torque converter. A torque converter has fins but if they get bent it's junk and you will need a tow truck. As to Tejay's comment on collapsed exhaust, I have seen that a few times myself. I worked as a Ford tech in the 70s. The factory exhaust pipe was made from double wall tubing. When it got hot and was put in a position where it was made cold very fast, like a water puddle or deep slushy snow, the outer layer would tighten against the inner tube causing it to collapse at the y pipe connection. The engine would run but had no power.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #41

we will see after the new year

I will be taking a trip to arizona after the new year it has a couple of grades if the tranny was a problem i will hear the noise again however ford told me they have a problem with the catalytic converter and believed that was making the noise and that was the problem so hopefully problem fixed. and for the ones that think this is a bs story i took it to fairway ford in placentia ca. call over there and talk to russell in the rv dept. thanks again
Old 12-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike 4275 View Post
I will be taking a trip to arizona after the new year it has a couple of grades if the tranny was a problem i will hear the noise again however ford told me they have a problem with the catalytic converter and believed that was making the noise and that was the problem so hopefully problem fixed. and for the ones that think this is a bs story i took it to fairway ford in placentia ca. call over there and talk to russell in the rv dept. thanks again
thanks...just so others know.. those converters are warrantied for 85,000 miles

in fact all converters have that same warranty

LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, cat